Sponsored by:

PPP on Euro imports "NOT"

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2006, 03:58 PM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP on Euro imports "NOT"

Been looking into fitting PPP to my 06WRX.....I was advised to contact the supplying dealer (Subaru Cyprus) to check on warranty implications.....just had a fax back from them stating that fitting PPP will invalidate my warranty...I am gutted.....will have to wait a couple of years for an upgrade.

Thought this might be of interest to anyone in similar position.
Old 02 November 2006, 05:08 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Allowing the fitment of PPP on a UK supplied car without voiding the warranty is simply a concession that Subaru UK give to try and persuade us to buy our cars from them.

I wonder what would happen if you asked the Cypriot/Maltese dealer before buying an EU import car . Along the lines of 'I want an Impreza with the PPP fitted, if I buy from a UK dealer it doesn't void the warranty what if I buy from you?' I wonder if they would say no then?
Old 02 November 2006, 05:16 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've considered going for PPP on my 05 WRX. It's an EU import too. A couple of dealers I've spoken to say that the warranty would remain intact should I fit the kit, without recourse to the supplying (cyrpus) dealership. After all, warranty work is still £££'s for UK dealers, even if that is on a 'modified' european import.
Old 02 November 2006, 05:25 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Get the Ecutek and bollox to the warranty
Old 02 November 2006, 08:12 PM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

I tried 3 dealers, all were prepared to fit the kit, but only one of them ( the most clued up )mentioned that I should check out the warranty...apparently a UK dealer will bill the supplying dealer ( Malta, Cyprus etc ) for any work carried out...if the supplying dealer gets wind of the PPP then they won't cough up.

I suppose, if you have a claim against something non engine related, suspension maybe. Then the supplying dealer doesn't need to know, but if your ECU packs in then I guess you are stuffed.

I will speak to the other 2 dealers again and ask about warranty..if they say no probs then I will go ahead...but I think I'd like it in writing.

Watch this space.
Old 02 November 2006, 09:07 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Johnnyg, I look forward to your findings as I have just ordered a Euro STI. I am aware of the PPP Warranty issue regarding Euro imports. If I can't get my local dealer to fit it and not mention it to the supplying dealer then I will probably have it fitted (or other mods) after 12 months or so and void the warranty, will depend on how hungry I am for more power.
Old 02 November 2006, 09:13 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Incidentally the first years warranty is provided by manufacturer and subsiquent 2 years by supplying dealer. I wonder if Subaru Japan agreed to uphold the warranty on the car following PPP install, I suppose they must have.

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2006, 09:36 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Aren't the wrx engines with prodrive really reliable any way. What are the chances of anything goin wrong. dont hear many stories on here about engine failures in the first 3 years do u. I suppose at the end of the day its piece of mind.
Old 03 November 2006, 08:38 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

I queried this when i bought my STi 05. My dealer spoke to Subaru Deutchland and they said it would honour any claim if the PPP was fitted. AFAIK countries like Germany, Holland and Belguim would all honour such warranty claims. It would just take a little longer to get authority from the country of origin.
Old 03 November 2006, 09:07 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mervil
I queried this when i bought my STi 05. My dealer spoke to Subaru Deutchland and they said it would honour any claim if the PPP was fitted. AFAIK countries like Germany, Holland and Belguim would all honour such warranty claims. It would just take a little longer to get authority from the country of origin.
That is interesting as the PPP is not offered or allowed here and it is also not TÜV approved.

If a PPP was fitted the car would need to go through a new TÜV inspection testing noise, power increase and emissions increase, this test can cost a couple of thousand euros, and the TÜV are reluctant to do it as it means work on their part. I had to have my car tested in this way when I fitted an APS CAK and it cost me €770 for a €150 part!!! You then need to go to the Landratsamt and get all your paperwork updated at more cost. You then need to get your car dyno'd so that you can inform your insurance company of the new power output in KW so that can be recorded on your paperwork.

have you got any paper work from Subaru Deutschland to back up your statement mate as I would be interested in seeing it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03 November 2006, 09:22 AM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
That is interesting as the PPP is not offered or allowed here and it is also not TÜV approved.

If a PPP was fitted the car would need to go through a new TÜV inspection testing noise, power increase and emissions increase, this test can cost a couple of thousand euros, and the TÜV are reluctant to do it as it means work on their part. I had to have my car tested in this way when I fitted an APS CAK and it cost me €770 for a €150 part!!! You then need to go to the Landratsamt and get all your paperwork updated at more cost. You then need to get your car dyno'd so that you can inform your insurance company of the new power output in KW so that can be recorded on your paperwork.

have you got any paper work from Subaru Deutschland to back up your statement mate as I would be interested in seeing it.

Cheers
Steve

LOL - I lived in Bayern for 5 years, I know what an absolute red tape nightmare it is if you have anything tinkered with your car!
Old 03 November 2006, 09:51 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel

Cheers
Steve
Wurzel, I didn't get the PPP at the time as I was posted to Cyprus soon after. Subaru Deutschland also said that an ECU upgrade or Remap by ChipTuning or SKN wouldn't invalidate the warranty also. As my car isn't registered over in Germany anymore they said I wouldn't have to get it TUV tested.

No paperwork was sent from Germany, just a couple of phonecalls.

Paul
Old 03 November 2006, 09:57 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Just get it fitted m8, will the UK dealer care? Not really cos they get paid by IM, as the Cyprus dealer will OK the work.
Will Cyprus care about PPP? not unless you/the UK dealer tells them you have PPP.
The UK dealer has a vested interest in doing the work and any warrantee work in the years to come.

dipster
Old 03 November 2006, 10:10 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

That's what it comes down to anyway, if the dealer tells the originating country if the PPP's fitted. Chances are, they wont!
Old 03 November 2006, 11:43 AM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

My thoughts exactly, will be speaking to my dealer about this when mine is in for 1k service, My local dealer seems very freindly and approachable.
Old 03 November 2006, 12:28 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

I bought my wrx in germany and installed PPP in holland(live here at the mo). No warranty issues, subaru germany said it is all ok. Having said that, this was 1.5 years ago, and now my warranty is finished anyway - but I can say this: the car had absolutely no problems of any sort not before and not after the PPP
Old 03 November 2006, 02:50 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

Same story in Finland, invalidates warranty if fitted. shall wait till warranty is up.......