Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day car for club members?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2006, 10:31 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track day car for club members?

I dont know if something like this is possible/ has been suggested and dismissed before (difficult to admin?).
I know that some of the classic car owners clubs do something like this, they charge members a fee, which goes towards the purchase and running costs of a track car, which members can have access to on a lottery/calender/regional basis.
I feel that there are a lot of members on here who would like to experience the track day fun without the risk of damage to the "daily driver"/ "polished pride and joy" of their own car.
If this could be done I am sure that there are enough people in an area that if your postcode (or equiv.) was chosen that the members in your area would get a chance to try a track day in your local area, this would allow multi entries on one day in a single car so that the return from a modest investment would not take too long to get around the members.
I can see loads of probs with this idea but someone smarter than me might be able to make this work???

Any replies/interest?
Old 30 October 2006, 01:55 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

i am no expert but I know that there are many schemes that work on this basis. I believe the idea is that peaple pay a subscription which entitles them to a number of credits. credits are then spent againt the hire of cars that are mor expensive the better the spec and when rented at a peak time. e.g, a Ferrarri at the weekend will be more expensive than a scoob on a Monday.

Have a search on 'tinternet and i am sure you will find many. A very expensive example is the P1 club (www.p1international.com), but I know much cheeper schemes exist.

Mike
Old 30 October 2006, 02:17 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mike, I am surprised at the lack of interest in this as I thought there would be a few people in similar situation to myself, maybe I did not explain it clearly or its just not popular.
Old 30 October 2006, 05:13 PM
JohnS

It's been thought about and discussed quite a few times, and there are two many "what if's" to make it viable.

Say you get 100 people, each putting in £200 to buy and prepare a car for track use. Each person would an average get 3 days a year to use the car.

What happens when the car needs serviced, repaired. Who is responsible for taking it to their nearest garage. Who pays for the service ? Who pays when it needs new tyres etc. What about insurance for the road & track ? What happens if you have a track event booked, and the day before you are due to get it the car breaks down, needs new tyres etc. Who compensates you for your loss etc ? What happens if say 6 people want the car on the same day for a track day in their area, and they are at opposite ends of the country. Who co-ordinates all the bookings, plans where the car is going for the next year etc.

The deciding facor though was if it isn't your car, you are going to drive it very very hard on track (ie like it's stolen!), with litle regard to tyre wear, brake wear, mechanical sympathy etc. Any car driven like that on a regular basis (ie every other day), will need very regular servicing, fettling etc. After all, these cars though very durable and reliable, aren't designed with 24 hour endurance racing in mind.

When it does work, is if you get a few people locally who club together and buy/prepare a car, and enter it into a limited number of events during a year, and share the driving at these events. However, the investment level will be a few £k each to start with, plus a share of the running costs after that. If you are only interested in doing one or two track days a year, then there are companies out there who will rent you something like a Caterham 7 to use on track. Ok the cost will be about £500/day including insurance and consumables (tyres/fuel/brakes etc), but it will be much less hassle and less money over the cost of a year.

If you drive your own car on track, then you will drive it with more respect, and you can actually drive on track events and have lots of fun without wearing out a set of tyres or brakes, especially if it's a cold & wet day, when nothing gets too hot (eg brakes), the engine has plenty of cold air, and tyres suffer hardly any wear at all.

John
Old 31 October 2006, 01:21 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that John, I thought that there were many probs, inc. geography etc.
As you mentioned 100 members at £200 gives a fund of £20k, you could get a cracker of a track car (ready) for £10k and have 10K left for running/repairs etc.
Given the fact that there are thousands of members(or at least usernames) on here could a regional set up be possible.
Admin would be nightmare I agree but if its worth doing would it be worth the effort.Also if it did not work the car could then be sold and a proportion of your "members fee" could be returned.
I know this is a pipe dream really but just wondered what level of interest there was.
Thanks again.
ps most owners would spend £200 on a single track day, tyres,brakes,fuel, etc.
Old 31 October 2006, 01:54 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The real cost of a trackday is far in excess of £200 when you take in to account all the costs (and not forgetting the cost of the actual trackday). I once calculated the cost of a day at Croft, including fuel there, back, entry, consumable (oil / tyres / brakes / fuel etc et), and insurance (if you bother) to be in the £500 - £600 region if using an Impreza.

The chances of your £10k car still being in one piece after the first ten drivers are fairly slim due the way, on the whole, it will be treated.

IMHO the figures are way off matey- and please don't think I've replied to pish on your bonfire, as that's not the case; I just wanted to put across a realistic view and my opinion as to why people don't do it.

Just for the record, the typical cost of hiring an Elise for the day for track use is £1000, an MX5 race car £900, an Impreza STi £200 for 20 minutes or £1500 full day.

Hire 'n' Drive