Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading a WRX - Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2006, 06:18 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading a WRX - Advice needed.

Hi Scoobynetters,

I really could do with some advice about upgrading MY05 WRX. Its an EU (Cyprus) import which I've owned from new for 1 year. So far I've only added a Prodrive backbox exhaust, but now feel the need for a bit more umphh.

I've made some enquiries with Subaru dealers about PPP & Ive managed to negotiate a "discounted" rate of £1300 fitted + supposed retention of my pan euro warranty for the next 2 years (although I've not yet checked this out with the original supplying dealer).

Even at this discounted price, PPP still looks a lot of £££'s for what you actualy get.

Would you bite the bullett go for the "official" & safe PPP - or perhaps take a chance & go for an aftermarket remap /exh etc >>>??? Whats are the pro's / cons? & could I get an equivalent hike in power for a lot less £££ ?

All feedback gratefully received!

Cheers

Jonesy

Last edited by JonesyWRX; 29 October 2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 29 October 2006, 06:23 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PPP is well worth it, had mine done and loved it!!!
Old 29 October 2006, 06:41 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Would never pay for the ppp again tbh.
If the warranty issue remains paramount the ppp package is the only way to go. If you want bigger smiles for your £££'s there are better alternatives.
Old 29 October 2006, 06:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you get the OK from the warranty holders then I'd go PPP. If they say no then look elswhere for more bang less bucks and sod the warranty. Don't just chase power though, Impreza's benefit more from handling/chassis mods. My 265PS 03 WRX PPP showed clean heals to many STi's, standard and highly mod'd, in its time before I sold her on. Quality coilovers, ARB's and links, bracing, a killer geo set-up and good tyres can make mincemeat of 400bhp in the right hands.
Old 29 October 2006, 06:45 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

RLE is right enough. What exactly are you getting for the £1300 ? Is it only the remap, exhaust etc or does this include the Prodrive springs ?

You can get an Ecutek remap alone for about £500, plus the cost of whatever exhaust bits you opt for.
Old 29 October 2006, 06:46 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

What are you running about in now Corradoboy Dave ?
Old 29 October 2006, 06:48 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dave is right. Do the suspension mods first then go for 400bhp
Old 29 October 2006, 06:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
What are you running about in now Corradoboy Dave ?
A stickered up Poxhaul (couldn't be any) Coarser Earning well from the driving instructing however so the shopping list currently has a Spec C Type 20 or Forester STi T20 at the top spot
Old 29 October 2006, 06:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by RLE
Dave is right. Do the suspension mods first then go for 400bhp
If ever you're passing Rob, I'd love to see how the set-up copes with more power
Old 29 October 2006, 06:55 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't pay for PPP unless you are bothered about retaining your warranty.

If you are bothered PPP is your only option.

If you aren't you'll get much more for less money going for something like an ecutek remap.

Plus, it seems that a lot of PPP upgrades on WRX's fall short of the figures claimed in the PPP literature. Some only seem to make 240-250bhp rather than ~265bhp. I can't vouch for this myself, I flirted with PPP for a while and went for exhaust and ecutek upgrades and made good power gains for much less money.

If you bought a new full decat system for (inc up pipe) and an ecutek remap, it would set you back around £1500, fitted and inc VAT. This would give you around 280bhp and 280lb/ft torque, significantly more than PPP will give you.

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 29 October 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 29 October 2006, 07:12 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The answer depends a) on how you feel about any warranty implications and b) how much you want to spend.

FWIW (having the exact same EU car as yourself) I think the best approach/VFM is decat, panel filter (green or KN), remap (also STI TIMC/splitter if you can stretch to it). This should get you a very responsive 270-280.

Then uprated rear DL's, ARB, decent geom setup and some decent front pads/hoses and fluid.

Should be do-able for the price of PPP only giving better figures (ie genuine) along with addressing other weak area's of the std WRX (ie braking and understeer).

The only other thing I'd add at some point is the PD spring kit.

Believe me this is a very formidable package as a fast road car, and as Dave has said, will give most scoobs a run for the money..!

Modding beyond this starts getting expensive and with diminishing returns..!
Old 29 October 2006, 07:13 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Doh..! T2T types fast..
Old 29 October 2006, 07:24 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I have pretty much what Jason has described, except only centre pipe decat.
~ 273bhp and much, much improved handling. Heartliy recommended !

If I had to choose, I'd give up the performance mods before the Prodrive springs and Whiteline ARB/droplinks ! Certainly wouldn't do the remap without the suspension mods !
Old 29 October 2006, 07:59 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=Trap2Terrorist]I wouldn't pay for PPP unless you are bothered about retaining your warranty.

If you are bothered PPP is your only option.

If you aren't you'll get much more for less money going for something like an ecutek remap.

Plus, it seems that a lot of PPP upgrades on WRX's fall short of the figures claimed in the PPP literature. Some only seem to make 240-250bhp rather than ~265bhp. I can't vouch for this myself, I flirted with PPP for a while and went for exhaust and ecutek upgrades and made good power gains for much less money.

Thanks for the replies so far.

This is what concerns me.

How can Subaru claim a full 265bhp from what amounts to a generic remap of the ECU + a decat centre section/ backbox when the Powersation etc reckon on max of 270 bhp after the full works - exhaust/sports cat/ up pipe / filter + bespoke map?

I'm considering going down this route, but don't really want to go for a full deact (or for that matter spend over a grand on a Milltek). Given I've got the prodrive back box already, what do you think is the best option for the least wonga
Old 29 October 2006, 08:10 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

How can Subaru claim a full 265bhp from what amounts to a generic remap of the ECU + a decat centre section/ backbox when the Powersation etc reckon on max of 270 bhp after the full works - exhaust/sports cat/ up pipe / filter + bespoke map?
Not sure but I went the non PPP route you mentioned all be it with prosport and got 280/280ish with a mean torque curve. I can't be bothered looking it up just now but maybe the gains are in the torque and not just the power. I can't remember what torque gains a ppp gives you.
Old 29 October 2006, 08:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The PPP map is generic whereas a Tec3 is vehicle specific so Prodrive have to err on the side of caution. Also, the WRX injectors and fuel pump are getting close to their limits, and as the PPP has to keep the warranty intact they tone things down. If each car was mapped specifically as with Tec3 then I'm sure the PPP would get similar results as the core components are of good quality, suffice to say, people whom have Tec3's their PPP map have seen IRO 280bhp with no further parts modified.
Old 29 October 2006, 08:46 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

If you want to have more fun the a PP, look at Powerstation, top people and more bangs for you bucks.

Alan MaC
Old 30 October 2006, 08:15 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonesyWRX

I'm considering going down this route, but don't really want to go for a full deact (or for that matter spend over a grand on a Milltek). Given I've got the prodrive back box already, what do you think is the best option for the least wonga
If you keep your eye's and ears open the other bits of the exhaust system you'll need often come up on here 2nd. Just make sure they're decent condition, which being s/s they usually are.

BTW you only need a 2.5" system which is cheaper than the unnecessary 3" at <350bhp..

Also look at scoobyworld's web page as they often have good deals on 2.5" systems..!