ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2006, 02:28 PM
Narcosis
Scooby Regular

Location: Winchester. Love alot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Buying advice

Hi all,

Could really use some advice.

I’m looking to buy myself a MY03 WRX Wagon with PPP after many years of wanting one. I have been today to take it for a test drive and it really does fly. I do however have a couple questions.

The dealer says that it is parallel import, that it came from Japan but is registered with Subaru UK, it has a few months Subaru warranty left. I had a skim through the paperwork and it seems that there is some documentation from Belgium and I think it said (with my limited French ability) that the immobiliser was authentic or something.

There isn’t a service book but receipts for the service work carried out, it’s a low mileage example so there isn’t that many! What is the service interval on a MY03? The dealer says that he can supply a book with the car though but may get the original owner to find the original book (if there was one). Does this sound dodgy? There is a receipt for the PPP and a fitting charge, is there any other paperwork that comes with the PPP?

The car looks in good nick, no obvious problems with the bodywork. I had a good rummage around in the boot, lifted the panel above the spare wheel and the seams have a white sealant along them, is this normal or is it a sign of damage? They are happy to have the car RAC inspected and will extend the warranty for a year, full parts and labour. Is there any other inspection companies that you guys and gals would recommend?

I’m really very excited at the prospect of my first Scooby just don’t want to buy a lemon!

All advice and comments will be very welcome

Mark
Old 29 October 2006, 02:36 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

how much is it?
i traded my my03 wrx in about six months ago and struggled to get 10.5 k
wr blue,tracker,29k mile a1 conditiom no PPP ,uk car, fsh...just as a guideline...if poss go to a reputable subaru dealer
Old 29 October 2006, 02:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

PPP isn't usually approved by the warranty holders which will be in the country of original sale (often Cyprus), so a call to them to enquire about that would be prudent. IM will only undertake the warranty work on behalf of Subaru UK once the warranty holders have approved costs, and they may refuse if there are any un-approved mods, even though the PPP is approved for fitment to UK cars. Also, I believe EU cars are still supposed to be serviced at 7.5k miles to the UK 10k, and again, if this hasn't been followed to the letter they can decline.

The white sealant in the boot sounds dodgy, but TBH I can't remember looking in mine (now sold) to see what it should look like.

All Subaru's have a standard immobiliser which is integral to the key, barrel and ECU. If any one part isn't genuine the car won't start. UK cars benefit from a post import aftermarket Sigma M30 Cat1 system.

Pricewise, I'd think around £9-10k.

There's THIS ONE in FS on here. Conrad is a top guy and the car will have been serviced beyond reason as he has his own tuning company called Racing Line. It hasn't got PPP, but once any warranty is almost up you can get more power for less cash anyway.

Last edited by corradoboy; 29 October 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 29 October 2006, 05:45 PM
Narcosis
Scooby Regular

Thanks corradoboy, appreciate your thoughts. When you say that I should call them do you mean the dealer or subaru?

Is there any way i can find out if this sealant is normal? It looked pretty good to be honnest but I guess I should look at another one and have a close look.

With regards to an inspection is there anyone other than the usual suspects i.e RAC AA etc who you would recommend look over the car to check is ok?

Thanks for sending me that link to the black wagon aswell, believe my misses would prefer black!

Mark
Old 29 October 2006, 06:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You'll need to speak to the supplying dealer in Cyprus (or wherever) to see if they have approved the PPP.
Originally Posted by Narcosis
believe my misses would prefer black!
Really
Old 29 October 2006, 07:10 PM
Narcosis
Scooby Regular

Will phone them tomorrow to find out, but then again, the subaru warranty runs out in a month or so, may not be such an issue.

Any words on the inspection?

Cheers
Old 30 October 2006, 10:10 AM
Narcosis
Scooby Regular

No advice on a inspection anyone?
Old 30 October 2006, 01:32 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

These cars DO have a white factory sealant around the insides of the rear wheel arches, usually behind the grey boot interior fittings. Sealant used under the boot carpet around the spare wheel will be similar colour to the car itself.

Parallel import means the car was registered in one of the European countries OTHER than the UK, and will have an almost identical technical specification to a UK spec car.

A grey import will be a Japanese Domestic Model, and will vary greatly in specification.

A parallel import, otherwise known as a Euro import, can have PPP fitted, although will not have a certificate supplied by the UK fitting dealer. (I didn't have one supplied with a Euro import WRX I owned 3 years ago)

Inspection? Yes, why not, especially if the car doesn't come with some sort of warranty. You could try getting a 6-12 month warranty as part of the deal!

Hope this helps!