Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the MAF again or another dawn sensor gone!

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2006, 11:18 AM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is it the MAF again or another dawn sensor gone!

Hi all

This morning when driving into work I over took a truck going slow then after that the car seams to splutter and pop and bang when driving. I had a similar problem a few months back in july when my MAF sensor went and i had to get a new one! not cheep!

I parked up at work and had a look under the bonnet Its' a classic 98 scoob and I can hear a loud clicking noise coming from the near side front of the engine under were you fill with oil, the timing belt cover has somthing attached to it on the top corner a sensor or something as it has wires going to it. it seam to be this that is making the loud clicking noise and it was clicking last night when i gopt home. can someone tell me what this is and if when it does pack up does it make the car splutter pop and bang as you drive, It seams to be doing the same as when my MAF packed up, could it be the MAF again or both. I seam to have had most of the sensors on this car replaced and dont know why they keep packing up on me.

Thanks in advance

Jo
Old 27 October 2006, 11:23 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Sounds like how mine went (UK99) when the MAF was failing but I'm not sure what the other issue could be.
Old 27 October 2006, 11:39 AM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

ye thats what mine did in july went to subaru got a new maf fitted and now it doing it again for no reason! the only thing i have now that i didnt have before is the loud clicking noise. it seams to rise and fall with the revs of the engine. I hope it is not the MAF again. if it is I hope the parts are covered!!
Old 27 October 2006, 11:54 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Is something catching to cause the clicking noise? the MY98 MAF is meant to be more robust than the MY99-00 cars. What air filter are you running?
Old 27 October 2006, 12:02 PM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

no nothing catching anywere as i can see. I am running aftermarket airfilter cant remember the make it is off the top of my head but its got the metal mesh not paper and has been ok for the past 2 years or so it's been on the car! I thought it might be sucking in water as it has been raining allot here in scotland : (

The clicking is also not coming from the area that the MAF is in. as you look at the engine from the front of the car you see the oil filler cap big yellow thing on the right. the timing belt cover goes from the left of the engine over to the right of the engine under the oil filler yellow cap and the top right corner of the cover is a plug that looks like its attached to a sensor for something. this is whats clicking. I am pretty sure the MAF is ok and that it could be this other thing whatever it is! I just don't seam to have much luck with my scoob this year it's one thing after the other!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phil.ha...scoob/Avo1.jpg

if you follow this link to this picture (it's not my car) you can see the oil filler on the right of the picture under it there is what looks like a little gray square inbetween the yellow cap and the black plastic of the timing belt cover, that's the plug that connects to whatever is making the clicking noise.

sorry for any crap spelling everyone : D

Last edited by scoobyguy22; 27 October 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Is it a mushroom style air filter? I don't like the sound of it myself but I'm not saying that's the problem. I bet it's your MAF though that's gone.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:26 PM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

it's this filter

The Blitz SUS Power

can be found here in this page if you scroll down

Induction Kits and Panel Filters:Induction Kits and Panel Filters: Blitz Iridium Spark Plugs [BLITZIRIDIUM] - £64.99

I hope it's not the MAF again! thats onther £400 bucks if it is not covered by parts warrenty.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:30 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'll let others comment but high flow filters can cause problems. It could be vibration cause by the filter not been fixed in place? £400 for a MAF? I know the MY98 is more expensive but mine for just over £80 for mine.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:36 PM
scoobyguy22
Scooby Regular

all fixings seam ok and the filter has been on the car for about two years now and there seams to be no explanation why it would eat up two MAF's in the space of a few months.

I dont know whats going. I am taking it to the garage now so they can have a look at it. I needed the car this weekend and it's messed up all my plans GRRRRR.

thanks for your help though dude.

J
Old 27 October 2006, 12:45 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why was the MAF £400? Is that the cost of a MY98 one?! I'm amazed if it is?! I bet that includes the full housing as well.
Old 27 October 2006, 06:53 PM
P1 SUB
Scooby Regular

i been having the same problem with my P1(2 mafs in a month), the problem started again the other night again and like you i was going daft thinking "not another maf" but i had the cover on the drivers side air vent removed which sits right above the filter(K+N) and i think the problem was with the bad rain we were having quite a lot of water was going through the fitler. Removed the maf and dried it off, refitted the cover on the air vent and the car has been fine since.
Old 27 October 2006, 07:32 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Anybody see a common theme yet?
Old 27 October 2006, 07:50 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

yep i had a bit of water in mine when my last one went but the other three i broke in the last three months it was all dry,but im sure heat is a problem.i had a mushroom filter im changing it now back to standard i think thats the comon theme its aftermarket filters on 98/99 cars they dont like them.has anyone had this problem with standard air box.400 for a maff is very expensive was that with sidc discount i bought 2 last month from subaru for 180 with sidc discount but broke them both now.
Old 27 October 2006, 08:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

There's no need for these filters. Get an OEM sti filter and forget these 'high performance' filters as these are quite possibly the source of the problems and it's questionable that they make any power gains
Old 27 October 2006, 08:10 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Bingo! Filter.
Old 27 October 2006, 08:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

All the MAFs, ninetyyyyyyyyyyyyyy eight!
Old 27 October 2006, 08:41 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyguy22
it's this filter

The Blitz SUS Power

can be found here in this page if you scroll down

Induction Kits and Panel Filters:Induction Kits and Panel Filters: Blitz Iridium Spark Plugs [BLITZIRIDIUM] - £64.99

I hope it's not the MAF again! thats onther £400 bucks if it is not covered by parts warrenty.

This is posted else where but I'll have to mention it again as it will help anyone else who searches or reads this forum, so please don't take this as a lecture:

DO NOT use a steel mesh or foam filters on any car fitted with a MAF sensor. They have inferior filtration, and over time coats the sensor in dirt, affecting its sensitivity.

Cotton filters are better, but some brands sill do not filter as well, and other are over-oiled and coats the sensor with oil, again affect its reading abilities.

Don't know if this is the root cause of your current problem, but it may have killed your last MAF. Seeing your sensor is relatively new, it maybe worth while giving the sensor elements a wash off with brake cleaner ir carburettor cleaner spray if you find it coated in any dust/dirt.

Last edited by Shark Man; 27 October 2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 27 October 2006, 09:07 PM
P1 SUB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
There's no need for these filters. Get an OEM sti filter and forget these 'high performance' filters as these are quite possibly the source of the problems and it's questionable that they make any power gains
yes there is, im running a FMIC and there is now way i could refit the standard air box, if i could i would have though
Old 27 October 2006, 09:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Wink

I knew I should have further qualified my answer as someone would have come along

Originally Posted by P1 SUB
yes there is, im running a FMIC and there is now way i could refit the standard air box, if i could i would have though
There is no need for these filters on a standard or lightly modded car, not applicable to FMICs or heavily modded cars. Happy?
Old 28 October 2006, 12:34 AM
P1 SUB
Scooby Regular

very
Old 28 October 2006, 11:15 AM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

i havent got a fmic so im going back standard but what can you do if you have a fmic there has to be some other option as i would like a fmic in the future.