Sponsored by:

Should I or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2006, 10:02 AM
cupra_mark
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I or Not?

Hi there guys, I have not posted much on this forum - mainly because I own a Leon Cupra R on a 04 plate.

I am seriously looking at changing the car in the next few weeks for an Impreza.

Are there any tips you can give me about looking for one. I am looking at spending a maximum of 13K including the part-x on my Seat. Should I be looking for a STI, or the less powerful 225BHP WRX.

Everyone tells me I will get a much nicer driving experience with the Impreza commpared to the front wheel drive Seat.

Any tips or hints on buying one of these would be useful!

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:19 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mark,
I have a MY00 classic (which I love), my mate had a 03 Cupra R, I was quite impressed with it's performance but I hated the very crashy ride, and it used to seem to eat tyres !!, If I were you I'd be looting at a STi (you will probably get an 03 one for about £13k), performance will be about the same as the Cupra (oh and fuel consumption will be about the same), the performance will be usable whereas it's not always in the Seat (especially in the wet).
Think the best advice is to drive a couple, I think you would be dissapointed with a WRX (flame suit on !) but only because of what you are moving from.

Ian
Old 26 October 2006, 10:53 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by cupra_mark
Hi there guys, I have not posted much on this forum - mainly because I own a Leon Cupra R on a 04 plate.

I am seriously looking at changing the car in the next few weeks for an Impreza.

Are there any tips you can give me about looking for one. I am looking at spending a maximum of 13K including the part-x on my Seat. Should I be looking for a STI, or the less powerful 225BHP WRX.

Everyone tells me I will get a much nicer driving experience with the Impreza commpared to the front wheel drive Seat.

Any tips or hints on buying one of these would be useful!

Cheers,

Mark.
Hey Mark,

I'm infering from your post that you don't want a car with a harsh ride, which would suggest that the Sti might not be suitable (drive one and see- I think the ride quality is fine, but some would find it unnacceptable). The WRX's ride quality is very good indeeed, but it has no more power than the car you're moving up from, whch you might find dissapointing. It will, however, be a nicer car to drive and far more capable when you ask questions of it, especially in the wet or or poorly surfaced roads.

I suspect that a WRX PPP would suit you nicely. More clout, just as comfy as the regular one. Alternatively look for one that's had PPP equivalent tuning i.e. Exhaust changed and ECU remapped. Thee cars tend to produce better results that PPP with no detriment to reliability as long as they have been done by an expert. A WRX can also be taken up to the 320bhp mark with no significant problems, or major expense.

An Sti feels significantly quicker as std and has goodies like a 6 speed gearbox and a front diff etc.. it's also a better base to start tuning from as the engine internals and transmission are stronger. You can also get these with PPP, which take them up to around 300bhp, but, again, similar mods and a remap by an expert will produce even better results! However, it's more focused to drive than the WRX and you may find it all a bit like hard work.

My advice would be test drive a WRX with PPP or equivalent, A std STi, and an STi with PPP or equivalent and see how you get on.

Ns04
Old 26 October 2006, 10:59 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It seems there's a lot of people in your situation and that have already done the jump. If you type in LCR/Leon/Cupra in the search field, you'll see some threads where people have done the same thing.

A mapped LCR is pretty much a match for a standard WRX in a straight line, the noticeable difference would be in cornering and wet-driving. Add the PPP or a similar modding route and then the balance is firmly on the Scooby side.

The STi vs WRX depends on your expectations and preferences. The WRX is a more sedate drive, where as the STi is definitely more focused, but ultimately more rewarding. If you went from your LCR to a mapped STi you'll be on cloud 9 for ages. I would vote for the STi, but that is what i wanted and i am biased.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:13 AM
cupra_mark
Scooby Newbie

Many Thanks for the rapid replies. I got a week off work next week, so will arrange some test drives of all models.

I dont mind a harsh ride, but my wife hates it, everytime she's a passenger, she says she feels sick when I am driving

Tyres on the LCR are a big problem, they really don't last that long!

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:55 AM
imprezarb5
Scooby Regular

have a look on pistonheads.com to get an idea of prices.There are 265 Imprezas for sale on there at the moment. However also have a look at the cars for sale section on this board, and also the SIDC website as most will have been looked after with no expense spared by an enthusiast owner. Personally i would rather buy from a private enthusiast owner than a 2nd hand dealer. 13k should get you in a newage blobeye STI, or perhaps a classic shape P1. needless to say FSH is a must, with regular oil changes, stamped up service book/receipts/invoices etc.

good luck
Old 26 October 2006, 12:18 PM
Turtle
Scooby Regular

I'm getting a 55 plate WRX PPP tomorrow to replace my Revo'd 54 plate LCR. A mate lent me a WRX for 2 weeks and this won me over. The ride on the WRX is much more complient than the LCR, and the handling is more fun.
The only down side that I can see is that a standard WRX is noticable slower than a mapped LCR. I'm hoping the PPP will give the Impreza similar straight line performance to my LCR. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Turtle
I'm getting a 55 plate WRX PPP tomorrow to replace my Revo'd 54 plate LCR. A mate lent me a WRX for 2 weeks and this won me over. The ride on the WRX is much more complient than the LCR, and the handling is more fun.
The only down side that I can see is that a standard WRX is noticable slower than a mapped LCR. I'm hoping the PPP will give the Impreza similar straight line performance to my LCR. I'll let you know how I get on.
It will!

Best of all...
You'll be able to use it in the lower gears without fear of spinning the wheels!!

And you can take the car out when it rains!!

Had a go in a Jabba (?) modified Leon and it was a giggle. It just couldn't deploy the power effectively in the lower gears, coming out of the bends and when it was raining.....forget it!!
Old 26 October 2006, 12:29 PM
Turtle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It will!

Had a go in a Jabba (?) modified Leon and it was a giggle. It just couldn't deploy the power effectively in the lower gears, coming out of the bends and when it was raining.....forget it!!
That's my experience of the LCR. Don't get me wrong, I think LCR's are great cars however they really need more traction. I was thinking about getting an LSD but it didn't cost much more to get buy the Scooby.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Turtle
That's my experience of the LCR. Don't get me wrong, I think LCR's are great cars however they really need more traction. I was thinking about getting an LSD but it didn't cost much more to get buy the Scooby.
Yep, get the Scooby! It's the fact that the Leon is FWD that's causing most of the problems!! Much over 200bhp and FWD just doesn't work as well as RWD and 4WD

Ns04

Thought the Leon was excellent value for money though and if you accept the limitations a very good car!
Old 26 October 2006, 06:51 PM
prodrive SL
Scooby Regular

Came out of a ibiza FR 20vt (slightly modified) into a WRX SL PPP. In the dry I enjoyed the ibiza and still miss it, but when the impreza is on it, it's a different world, in any conditions.

I would test drive the choices NS04 set out.
Old 28 October 2006, 08:06 PM
cupra_mark
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys for all the advice. I drove a WRX (non-STI) today and loved it so much! I have put a deposit down on a 3 year old WRX (42,000 miles on the clock). It costs £12K. It is due for a service, which they will do for me with a main dealer and a MOT). One owner from new. I got £11,300 for my 04 plate Part Ex!

It looks spotless inside and out , however, is there anything I should be aware of in terms of this 40+k service!

Just don't want to get ripped off.

I so love this car, I am so excited!

Mark.
Old 28 October 2006, 08:27 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the weird & wonderful world of Impreza owneship...

Your chosen car sounds great, just be aware that the 40k service is minor oil change job - the 50k service is anything but

Other than that, GO FOR IT!
Old 28 October 2006, 08:37 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i'd still be looking for an Sti for that sort of money tbh, they are about if you look hard enough and you will then have a much better start point for your up and comming mods - it will happen, i swear it will once you have driven one and have the bug , you will then realise that more is to be had relatively easily and you just have to do it, you just have to honest
Old 29 October 2006, 04:13 PM
steve sti-7
Scooby Regular

hi mark
see you next week with your new car or if you want you can try my STI to compare.

all the best

steve
Old 29 October 2006, 05:09 PM
Turtle
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark. You've made a good choice. I picked my my05 WRX PPP on Friday and haven't stopped grinning since Above 30 mph it's not any quicker than my revo'd LCR was, however the driving experience is so much more involved.
Good luck and enjoy your new car.
Ade
Old 30 October 2006, 11:08 AM
cupra_mark
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advice and nice comments! I will hopefully pick the car up tomorrow!

See you in work next week Steve!

Looks like I will have to re-register here now with a new username -
Old 30 October 2006, 11:32 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cupra_mark
Cheers guys for all the advice. I drove a WRX (non-STI) today and loved it so much! I have put a deposit down on a 3 year old WRX (42,000 miles on the clock). It costs £12K. It is due for a service, which they will do for me with a main dealer and a MOT). One owner from new. I got £11,300 for my 04 plate Part Ex!

It looks spotless inside and out , however, is there anything I should be aware of in terms of this 40+k service!

Just don't want to get ripped off.

I so love this car, I am so excited!

Mark.
Excellent news. Xmas has come early for you. Did you decide against an STi then? Just thought you were gonna test drive both versions. The WRX has it's +points over an STi though. Enjoy!
Old 30 October 2006, 06:37 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

Don't know where abouts you are in the country but Monty's of sheffield have a STI 8 WR Blue on a 54 plate on the forecourt for £12,495 it has 78,000 on the clock. I think he told me they would probably take 11,500 for it. Take a look on their website it is listed on there. Montys

Chris.
Old 30 October 2006, 06:54 PM
cupra_mark
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Excellent news. Xmas has come early for you. Did you decide against an STi then? Just thought you were gonna test drive both versions. The WRX has it's +points over an STi though. Enjoy!
Hi there,

To be honest I did not even try an STI. My wife hates the hard suspension on the LCR, so don't think she would have been to keen if I picked one! I am fine with the WRX tbh, I will upgrade it with PPP this side of Christmas - and then I will be really happy I hope!

Cheers,

Mark.
PS... The car

Last edited by cupra_mark; 30 October 2006 at 07:11 PM.