Some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 07:42 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice please

Hi,

I have decided to buy a new WRX STI and have a couple of questions. Can anyone tell me what are the pros and cons of having the ppp fitted apart from the obvious bhp upgrade. what is the difference with the drive ie does it eliminate some of the lag, What do you get with the PPP, Am I better off spending my money on other performance Mods.

Also what is the difference between the new STI and the outgoing STI 9 apart from the obvious 2.5 litre engine, is the new engine more tunable than the 2.0 litre version.

Please as much information as possible on the good and bad points before I part with 25 grand.

Thanks, Chris.
Old 28 October 2006, 07:17 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

No one got any advice then!
Old 28 October 2006, 08:11 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Alot of people on here seem to say go for the jdm spec c if getting one of the hawkeye's . I wasnt to fussed at first on the new shape so bought a version 9 sti with ppp fitted , but after seeing a few now they have grown on me and i've seen a jdm type 25 that's the boll!/ks and although has no burble sounds amazing when opened up ( if only i had the £££££ !!! ).
If you go for a new sti the prodrive upgrade is the only one that will still be covered on warranty with subaru . PPP on version 10 sti think puts about 40 bhp on top of the 280 bhp , check the prodrive web site for full spec . Some of the importers like litchfield etc will sell you a jdm spec c with the 2.0 twin scroll turbo and remapped etc and will do a warranty on it , all for around the £27995 mark , and there meant to be a stronger car all in all . Your doing a lot of money so you wanna be sure you've got exactly what you wanted . I spent 4 months searching for mine ( v9 sti-ppp uk)and drove 450 miles to see it the another 450 to get it !
Check Litchfields web site . Good luck with your choice !

Last edited by scuba_doo; 28 October 2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 28 October 2006, 09:37 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

Thanks bud for the info, I have a Mazda RX8 which is why I was going the dealer route, its easier to trade it in rather than having the hassles of selling it private first. I was considering the jdm route but would have to get rid of the RX8 first. I test drove a new STI today and the Lag is hardly noticable, much softer ride than I had anticipated too and couldn't really hear the exhaust note from inside the cabin either which is one of the reasons I am considering the PPP.

Thanks again fella.
Old 28 October 2006, 09:56 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Why u getting rid of the rx8 mate they look well
Old 28 October 2006, 09:56 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Why u getting rid of the rx8 mate they look well
Old 28 October 2006, 10:24 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

Your right they do look well, It still turns heads wherever I go. It drives well, handles really well, Has a fabulous cabin, revs all the way to 9500 rpm but unfortunatly has spent more time in the dealers than it has on the road (slight exaggeration) I am also wanting more power and I have been bitten by the track day bug so I have decided to go for the STI.
Old 28 October 2006, 11:46 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

U wont regret it mate.
Old 29 October 2006, 10:12 AM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Check with Litchfields as they may take p/ex's as they also have s/hand cars for sale as well .
What sti did you test ? a v9 or v10 .
Old 29 October 2006, 12:25 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

It was the new STI 10, I have emailed Litchfields and asked them the Part ex Question, waiting for a response.

On another note DC Cooks direct are trying to sell me a new STI 10 Euro Import for £21600 OTR and I can also get them to throw in a Cat 1 Alarm for free. They didn't offer me what I wanted for my car though they are going to get back to me with a better offer.

What would be your opinion on the euro import route and the price at which they are offering it.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 29 October 2006, 01:41 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

That sound's a good price but check on the warranty details first and when you are likely to get the service book as i've read on hear that some people have had to wait a long time for the service book etc to come through .
I think if it was me in your place , i would go down the jdm spec c route or at least go to road test the two cars to see what exactly your be getting for your ££££ ! in performance and warranty etc .Also ask a professional tuner what the engine specs are between the jdm spec c and euro import sti , but i think you may find the tuner's will be more for the jdm spec . From what i'm aware of ,the 2.5 was bought out for emissions standards with a lower boost pressure and the jap's kept with the 2.0 and twin scroll turbo .
One of the boy's in south wales subaru club has a type 25 , now that is something !!! It's based on a spec c does'nt have the burble but the performance and noise when opened up more then makes up for it !!!
Arrange a test drive in a spec s jdm and a euro import sti then decide .
Cause once you've handed over your hard earned cash you don't want to be wishing you'd got the other one !!

Search through other posts on here as there is alot to be found on jdm 's and euro imports etc .
( quick note motorpoint have a web site and supply v10 imports , thats where i've seen alot of v10 sti's coming from around here )

Last edited by scuba_doo; 29 October 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 29 October 2006, 02:13 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

The euro Import comes with a 3 year 60,000 mile warranty, 10,000 mile service intervals, so it basically is identical in every way to the type uk you just don't get the alarm and tracker but as said they have agreed to fit a cat 1 alarm for free and I can get the RACTrackstar tracker fitted for £399 with 1 years subscribtion free.

As for the jdm route I was set on buying a jdm but am not sure now. I don't want to pay anymore than £8,000 plus my car and going the jdm route it would cost me at least £12,000 plus my car. At the moment DC cooks price is £8,300 plus my car and they are getting back to me with a better offer so I am waiting to see what that is.

Motorpoint sell them at the same price as DC Cook and I have had previous dealings with Motorpoint 5 years ago and they are not as willing to negotiate as Cooks are, but they have a place at Derby which is not far from me so I may have a trip down there just to have a look.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 29 October 2006, 04:19 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Give Litcho's a call as they never answered any emails that I sent them

TX.

Originally Posted by thinkingof buying
It was the new STI 10, I have emailed Litchfields and asked them the Part ex Question, waiting for a response.

On another note DC Cooks direct are trying to sell me a new STI 10 Euro Import for £21600 OTR and I can also get them to throw in a Cat 1 Alarm for free. They didn't offer me what I wanted for my car though they are going to get back to me with a better offer.

What would be your opinion on the euro import route and the price at which they are offering it.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 29 October 2006, 05:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Don't turn your back on the JDM's as many of us think that they are better cars then their UK cousins MY vs MY. Get in touch with Juggers (he is a member here) as he has a few Spec C's for sale at various prices plus will be able to get a trade in on yours. I've been most impressed with him in my dealings to date.

TX.
Old 29 October 2006, 08:12 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Just been on litch's site and seen this : Subaru Impreza Spec C (2006), Spec C in Black Mica, 2006 model, 5,000miles, 320bhp Twin Scroll Turbo, Equal length manifold, Driver Controlled Centre Diff (DCCD), Spec C engine oil cooler, Spec C up rated fuel assembly, STI front ... more details - £23,995 OTR .

There are others there cheaper , but this one sounds alright .

OMG , i got a week off next week ,i'll see if it can twist the mrs's arm into letting me have a look at that one !!!!

Last edited by scuba_doo; 29 October 2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 30 October 2006, 05:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

This is the one that blew away the competition isn't it?

Litchfield Imports

TX.
Old 30 October 2006, 08:02 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
This is the one that blew away the competition isn't it?

Litchfield Imports

TX.
Thats a cracker , also the type 25 with 415 bhp and a price tag of £39995 , i'll just have to keep dreaming and be happy with my uk version 9 sti-ppp ,
Old 30 October 2006, 08:35 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Default Type 25

Just seen another thread saying 5th gear will be road test litch's type 25 on monday 6th nov at 8p.m One to watch .
Old 30 October 2006, 08:47 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scuba_doo
Just seen another thread saying 5th gear will be road test litch's type 25 on monday 6th nov at 8p.m One to watch .
I may even tune into this w@nk programme to see it!
Old 30 October 2006, 08:59 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

I had a similar dilema in March when I got my current '06Sti, so here's my 2ps' worth

2.5 vs. previous 2litre - the extra torque is definitely noticable and effectively results in one of the quickest standard imprezas point to point. I can easily keep up with my mates bug and blob PPP Sti's when we go for an early morning blast down some private roads. The MY06 model is also far more aerodynamic and uses underbody diffusers and a roof spoiler to suck/force you to the tarmac! The DCCD is also very impressive, but takes some mastering and will more than likely be left in auto.

I personally wasn't that impressed with the 2.5 ppp and couldn't justify the cost, so went for a prodrive b/box and panel filter (so far) to get some burble back and gain a few ponies.

I got my EU import from my local dealer, and saved a few quid in the process. I wasn't overly impressed with supermarkets, but each to their own I suppose!
Old 30 October 2006, 10:00 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

Ordered a new euro STI today should be getting it in about 2 weeks. 3 year/60000 mile warranty and 9000 mile service intervals confirmed by the suppling dealer in Malta. It has cost me £21600 OTR with 12 months tax and a Cat 1 alarm thrown in. Think I will also get some extra underseal and waxoil treatment done on it as well to be on the safe side. Anyone know of anywhere in the Sheffield area that they can recommend to do this.

Chris.
Old 30 October 2006, 10:16 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Well done , what colour , and are you going to get a ppp at 1000 miles or a tsl 333 or something else ?
Old 30 October 2006, 11:35 PM
thinkingof buying
Scooby Newbie

It's a WR Blue, Wanted black first choice but would have to wait 12 weeks. NO uk dealers have anything but crystal grey and the wife didn't like.
Iwould love to go for the PPP but unfortunatley IM won't honour the warranty if it is fitted here they would if it was fitted by the suppling dealer in Malta so I am going to ask my supplier if it can be fitted in Malts first and how much. Do you know if you can fit them before 1k service?
Can't wait by the way I feel a trip to the ring for next summer coming on

Chris.
Old 31 October 2006, 06:20 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Nice colour wr blue .I think the ppp kit can be fitted at pdi but mostly at the 1000k as the car is still running in , but cant see why not , it may be cheaper as well put on out there .