Sponsored by:

Another rolling road thread!

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 11:00 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rolling road thread!

Got my STi version 2 booked in at the end of December at Well Lane Turbo. When I have my Scoob R&R'd will they just give me a graph which shows torque and bhp, or will it show boost levels, etc...???
Old 24 October 2006, 11:28 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Don't know, but they be able to inflate the figures quite nicely.
Old 24 October 2006, 01:41 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

I've heard about that, I think it's a bit unfair. I've read previous posts from people who have had their car RR'd at Well Lane and other places. There was only a few BHP between them!

Anyway, will they show me a boost graph or just torque/bhp???
Old 24 October 2006, 01:48 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Torque & BHP
Old 24 October 2006, 03:37 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Thanks RMA26!

How come some graphs posted on SN have the boost graph as well?
Old 24 October 2006, 03:39 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickwrxstiV2
Thanks RMA26!

Not sure, all Well Lane figs are @ Crank too

I was there a few months back
Old 24 October 2006, 04:10 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Last months RR @ WL

https://www.scoobynet.com/northern-2...ml#post6148182
Old 24 October 2006, 07:38 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 24 October 2006, 07:58 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Thanks RMA26!

When i used G-Force's Dyno Dynamics RR, i got graphs for power versus torque, power at flywheel versus road wheel power, power versus boost, and finally power versus lambda to show my fuelling was spot on, and if anything safe in the respect that it ran a little rich at high revs.
Old 24 October 2006, 10:53 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of you guys talk utter crap.
How are you in a position to make comment on Well Lane giving high readings ? Have you had your car on at Well Lane and compared it with something else ?

At the last Well Lane rolling road day that I attended here are my results :

Harvey Smith Impreza STi 3 Wagon
Std ecu, std fmic, std injectors, 3” Revolution exhaust, Harvey ported heads and headers, dog-in-boot conversion!
335bhp 338ft/lb (As posted by Chris Mann, 200 Plus Club. RR Day organiser)

Shortly prior to that at TEG Sport on their Dyno Dynamics 335.5 bhp and 333 ft.lbs. Close enough for me.

Normally Well Lane will produce bhp at the flywheel and torque. You can have at the wheel figures if you have a word with Barry or Ian in advance. They do not normally produce boost figures but if you particularly wanted them and made an arrangement in advance I expect they could provide these too.
I can also advise that the power figures at Well Lane and TEG Sport are usually close to those at Dastek.

Last edited by harvey; 25 October 2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 25 October 2006, 09:21 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I can only Echo Harvey here

If you look at the results from 10/09 there were tonnes of different cars there, which all variate in BHP/Torque ratio
Old 25 October 2006, 02:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It's well known that RRs can vary by upto 20%, with Well Lane being one of the higher reading ones.

Do a search, its all there if you look hard enough.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:24 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't touch Well Lane to be honest for rolling road figures, get yourself to Racing Line in Halifax who own a Dyno-Dynamics rolling road.

The dyno-dynamic rolling roads have a shoot-out mode which they can not edit the true figures, plus they are all linked up to a central office which report stats of each run (AFAIK).
Old 25 October 2006, 08:52 PM
RB5289
Scooby Newbie

The operator on a rolling road can make it read higher or lower as he wishes, slip em a ten spot usually does the trick for the pub talk numbers !
Old 25 October 2006, 08:54 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

How are you in a position to make comment on Well Lane giving high readings ? Have you had your car on at Well Lane and compared it with something else ?
Here is the what I think is wrong with forums.
Old 25 October 2006, 11:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

There may not be a lot of point posting on here because even when given factual information, some of you guys choose to ignore it.
335 bhp/338 ft/lbs Well Lane Teg Sport, Dyno Dynamics, 335.5 bhp 333ft/lbs.

The dyno-dynamic rolling roads have a shoot-out mode which they can not edit the true figures, plus they are all linked up to a central office which report stats of each run (AFAIK).
The bit about a central office and reporting stats is utter rubbish.

Please explain this:
Scooby Clinic, Dyno Dynamics, am 01 03 05 H13WRX 351.1 bhp/ 317ft/lbs.
G-Force, Dyno Dynamics, pm 01 03 05 354.8 bhp/350ft/lbs

Same car, same day, same fuel, same map, same spec etc etc.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:52 AM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

i thought most people ( myself included ) considered RR readings to be nothing more than useful for a comparison between 'before' and 'after' mods, if done on same day, same calibration, same external temp etc.. not as something 100% accurate to compare between different people and differnt parts of the country?

At the end of the day all BHP and Torque values are are sometrhing to compare and discuss, in the real world somecars will always be faster and better driven than others and RR readings mean very little if you are within 20-30bhp of eachother IMO of course
Old 26 October 2006, 11:13 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
It's well known that RRs can vary by upto 20%, with Well Lane being one of the higher reading ones.

Do a search, its all there if you look hard enough.
I know, some people post, without lOOking, but let's not go there.
Read plenty of posts to confirm this, one only yesterday:

Post #3
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...=well+lane+teg
Old 26 October 2006, 11:14 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Dyno dynamics claim that you can run a car on their equipment in Australia and compre it with a Dyno Dynamics car in the USA or anywhere in the UK for that matter.
Clearly not true on this occassion.

Yes. It is best to stick with the same RR (if it is run consistently) so you can measure the effect of any changes you have made.
Of course at a rolling road day the operating perameters for all cars are very much the same so it gives a comparison of these cars on that day.

Last edited by harvey; 26 October 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:00 PM
benh
Scooby Newbie

Gotta say my experiance of the one dyno dynamics m/c that i use is that is very repeatable.

Never back to backed a car against another road so i dont know.

Cheers,

Ben.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:02 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Dyno dynamics claim that you can run a car on their equipment in Australia and compre it with a Dyno Dynamics car in the USA or anywhere in the UK for that matter.
Clearly not true on this occassion.

Yes. It is best to stick with the same RR (if it is run consistently) so you can measure the effect of any changes you have made.
Of course at a rolling road day the operating perameters for all cars are very much the same so it gives a comparison of these cars on that day.
Harvey, See ya Sat morning
Old 26 October 2006, 04:22 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I know, some people post, without lOOking, but let's not go there.
Read plenty of posts to confirm this, one only yesterday:

Post #3
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...=well+lane+teg

Gaz - were both of these runs done on the same day? I wouldn't have thought so, therefore..... the results cannot be compared (air temp, humidity, etc...)
Old 26 October 2006, 04:48 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Gaz - were both of these runs done on the same day? I wouldn't have thought so, therefore..... the results cannot be compared (air temp, humidity, etc...)
I don't know, but if you search, you will find where there has been. I merely stating that.

RR's as been said above, are for information, not confirmation. They only give you a guide and an indication of where it's at. So many variables to take into consideration.
Old 26 October 2006, 08:45 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

See you for coffee Saturday Mark.
Nick : You are wasting your time mate. Hard facts and the truth or carefully gathered evidence don't rate with some guys when it is contrary to popular opinion/part of the Scoobynet myth.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

See you for coffee Saturday Mark.
Nick : You are wasting your time mate. Hard facts and the truth or carefully gathered evidence don't rate with some guys when it is contrary to popular opinion/part of the Scoobynet myth.
As not many people use the search function, i was merely posting information from other posts i have read on here. If those people are posting incorrect information, then it will be passed on, but i doubt it.

As with most of your posts, if people disagree with you, you fire off on one. You're a knowledgeable bloke, obviously. But People can have a different opinion from you, even if it's wrong. No need to get on your high horse. I suggest if you don't like it, don't read it. Simple!
Old 27 October 2006, 02:00 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Come on guys!

I just wanted to find out why some RRs give a boost graph and some dont and why? I have read other posts when people have described Well Lane rollers as over reading. I have read loads of old posts and would tend to believe that this is just a myth by people who have made lower figures on other rolling roads. It may be an excuse on their behalf why somebody elses car is making more power than theirs.

So.....

Why do some RRs give a boost reading and some don't? How and where do they take the reading?

nick
Old 27 October 2006, 07:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I present figures from recent rolling road runs that are factual Gaz and show what you are saying is wrong but you choose to believe something else. My figures clearly show little difference between Well Lane and TEG Sport. (Dyno Dynamics)
There is no comment on the disparity Scooby Clinic/G-Force. Both Dyno Dynamics, both same day and claimed by the maker to be totally accurate around the world.

Prior to the RR runs posted above, (Well Lane and TEG Sport) on a previous occassion, I ran at Well Lane on a Friday morning, G-Force on the Friday afternoon and a Southern Rolling Road Shootout at Power Engineering. (at which I posted top torque and bhp figures) on the Saturday.
All these figures were posted for all to see.

It is unfortunate that incorrect information is regurgitated on this bbs by guys like you who clearly do not know any better. This greatly detracts from the value of the bbs, especially to those new to the Scooby scene or like you, who have very limitted mechanical knowledge or know how RRs work.
BTW which rolling roads do you have first hand experience of?

Nick : The important thing is to choose a rolling road facility that you are happy with because it can produce consistent figures and the information that you need. In this way, the figures from that RR facility are meaningful to you and will identify improvements (or hopefully not, loss of performance) and quantify the changes. Not only maximum values but how quickly it comes on boost, AFRs etc.
The actual figures in themselves are not that important in isolation except when you want to compare various cars, all on the same day as with a RR day.

The basic information is BHP and torque and this is provided at all RR Days as far as I know. BHP can also be presented at the flywheel or at the wheels but that is a topic on its own.
To provided boost information simply involves putting a T-piece onto one of the vacum/pressure pipes from the inlet manifold, feeding the blow off valve or boost guage for instance. The T-eed in pipe then goes back to the RR equipment and is logged.
To provide AFRs then a wide band lambda can be located up the tailpipe on a specially designed carrier and the information fed back to the rolling road equipment and logged.

Some RR facilities may be reluctant to provide AFRs and boost plots on a RR Day as it will add a few minutes to each run. That is their choice. However this is important information for you and readily obtained. Check with the RR facility when you make your booking and if they are not prepared to give you AFRs and boost, then it is your choice to find a facility that will give you the useful information that you want.
Hope this makes it clear for you.
Old 27 October 2006, 08:29 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Thanks Harvey! When I spoke to them they said that they do not have a wideband lambda, but did and will use det cans to listen for detination.

I'll buzz them over the boost reading!

Thanks again Harvey!
Old 27 October 2006, 08:34 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

PS - Is it money well spent getting a diagnostice session on the rollers, or would I be better buying, say, a knocklink?
Old 27 October 2006, 09:38 PM
chrisT.O.T.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
I wouldn't touch Well Lane to be honest for rolling road figures, get yourself to Racing Line in Halifax who own a Dyno-Dynamics rolling road.

mine made very similar figures at the two venues, a month apart, this summer.
i'd be happy to go to either for a power plot. we've heldd r/r days at many places and i'd say well lane are usually there or thereabouts.
rgds
chris m

Quick Reply: Another rolling road thread!