Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance claim question.....any experts?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2001, 10:16 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Question:

Is it possible for an insurance company to declare a vehicle beyond economic repair and remove the vehicle to 'free and safe' storage, then change their mind and decide it should be returned and repaired?

The details:

Following an accident in July, my vehicle (1997 WRX STI TypeR: insurance value £11k or market value) was taken to a bodyshop for repair. A repair quote for £750 plus parts (o/s door & front wing) was submitted. An enginner inspected the vehicle, and advised the insurance company that the vehicle was 'beyond economic repair' and the claim would therefore be dealt with on a total loss basis.

The vehicle was removed to 'free and safe' storage in dudley, west midlands, by recovery w@nkers who said to the people at the bodyshop "it drives, we can have a razz around in this when we get back to the yard" and procceded to damage the front bumper when loading it onto their truck.

I supplied the insurance company with all documentation they requested, and was made the first offer of £5100. When i questioned this, their response was:

" as the vehicle is an import, we have to quote on a UK equivalent on sale at the same time as your vehicle, an Impreza Sport..." when i interupted and stated the list price of my vehicle to be twice the list price of the vehicle they were quoting me.

I then agreed to forward them with 'research' about the vehicles spec and price, and the price i paid for the vehicle, and adverts from the current autotrader (to give an idication of 'market value')

After further arguing, getting ****** off etc, today's convrsation wen't as follows:

(insurance)
"we agree that vehicle's value is more than £5100, and should now be repaired, as the repair price doesn't make it a total loss anymore" I stated, i no longer want the vehicle back, after i had no alternative to the vehicle being removed from my possesion, and being taken away by their instructed salvage people, in a manner that they wouldn't even treat their own cars with.

I was finally told that they would consult with their engineers (again!!!) and call me back, and guess what.....they never!

Does anyone know the legality of this issue, or have i got to accept their decision?

Many thanks
P.

(P.s Does anyone know the list price for a new coupe door?)
Old 20 November 2001, 10:37 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

Hi sorry to hear about your hassle with your Darling insurance company!!!!!!Been through the same mill myself!My broker sorted mine out,after weeks of grief!He is a top bloke and works freelance to other problem cases,he has sorted a few problems out for my friends,so comes well recommended.
He charges £200 for an average case so give him a call,
His name is Darrell and telephone number is 0121 526 4587.Company is called Insurance Services.
If he cant sort it then it cant be sorted!
Tell him Simon recommended you.
Regards
Simon

Old 20 November 2001, 10:41 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

Hi sorry to hear about your hassle with your Darling insurance company!!!!!!Been through the same mill myself!My broker sorted mine out,after weeks of grief!He is a top bloke and works freelance to other problem cases,he has sorted a few problems out for my friends,so comes well recommended.
His name is Darrell and telephone number is 0121 526 4587.Company is called Insurance Services.
Regards
Simon

Old 20 November 2001, 10:48 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

Regards
Simon

Old 20 November 2001, 10:56 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression insurance companies based quotes for imports on UK models and then load it as it's an import so it should have at least been based on a turbo.

11k is still quite a low insurance value for a type R.

it's worrying in that they have no idea what they are insuring.

Also if the repair was £750 and car's value was £5100, they normally only write cars off when the cost to repair exceeds about 40%. When you consider your excess probably wasn't worth claiming in the first place.

I'd contact the insurance ombudsman - writing offa car like that off for £750 worth of damage is IMO only going to rip you off as you'd have a total loss claim against you!

Get the car back, get it repaired, sell it privately. Take the matter up further with the insurance company - sounds like they are trying to rip you off!
Old 20 November 2001, 10:56 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

ops, double post - seems to take ages to post a reply at the moment and when it does it odesn't come up wwith the usual'thank-you for your post....'

oh well.

[Edited by MattN - 21/11/2001 08:39:01]
Old 20 November 2001, 11:11 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

11K is what i paid for the car, although i know it can't be replaced for this sum.

I also questioned why i pay a loaded premium for an import when i'm only going to get paid out for a sport. I didn't get a straight answer.

I'll be phoning back on friday, unless they phone me back before.

forgot to mention the company is Highway motor policies from lloyds.

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2001, 11:19 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yeah Highway Robbery more like it - they LOAD our premiums for having the cheek to buy funny imports with wipers on the rear window, and then quote claim prices for a base model. It is beyond belief. Dont let them get away with it.

Whilst I'm on a Victor Meldrew style rant:
Hackney Coumcil
Telewest/NTL

Arghhhhhhhh! I dont believe it! You can't even get through to them on the phone to tell them they are wrong that you haven't paid the bill, and have proof!

Sorry, enough, but better now!

D
Old 21 November 2001, 10:26 AM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Clarey

Name the Insurer?

Visit autotrader.co.uk and do a search for similar vehicles print it out and fax it to them.

If you need any help - mail me then i will call you

InsBro