ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hillclimb regulations

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2006, 05:42 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hillclimb regulations

I require information regarding hillclimb regulations specifically with regards to rollcages.

First a bit of background and sorry if I am wasting anyones time.

Finally this year I ran in the hillclimb championship in Cyprus. This has been run for many years but was only for tarmac rally cars and rally drivers. Over the past two years they have started a new open category called - dragster, as the cars that wanted to enter were refugees from the non existent drag championship.

I have a 97 WRX with suitable mods for 550bhp. It was daily street driven for many years but since moving to Cyprus was being used more for fast mountain road driving late at night/early morning.

As I decided to run in hillclimbs I stripped the interior, carpets, radio, speakers, aircon, added Sparco race seat, extinguishers, kill switch etc. Met all safety requirements with regards to suit and helmet, harnesses etc.

Managed to run in two events and then I was told that would not be able to run as my Cusco bolt in rollcage was not FIA approved and as the rally cars run with FIA weld in cages they would not let me run at the next event. Managed to convince them that I would not be able to order and install a roll cage in two weeks and they gave me a reprieve

Since then I have looked long and hard at this issue as I do not want to install a weld in cage, as the car will be made livable for winter November to April and will carry passengers. Also if I ever went to sell the car there is no market in Cyprus for a race car, hence a bolt in cage.

I have noticed that in the UK and Australia you can enter a hililclimb with a bog standard car and no rollcage. Can someone advise when a FIA rollcage is required ie what category, type of car etc. I have tried to find this on various websites but the regulations for each event only state that standard vehicles can enter and cannot be modified and please refer to the MSA yearbook for fulllist of regulations. If anyone can send me a copy of the pages from the MSA yearbook even better.

I am having a meeting with the organisers to convince them that you can drive a steet car at speed safely and we all do not have to be kitted out like WRC cars. It is meant to be fun and with grids of only 20 cars including us dragster types with modified street cars (bad boys in Cyprus) they should be looking at making it easier for people to race.

Also a weldin rollcage will use my funds earmarked for the AST race suspension, which 911 (Graham) has managed to convince me to purchase by reading his thread. over the past few days.

Any help will be greatly appreciated .

If you want to see how hillclimbing and drag racing is done in Cyprus click on go to If you think safety is expensive, try an accident www.xmotorsport.net and you wil be able to view pictures and some video.

I am the blue WRX with grey bonnet, grey wheels and no rear wing at the Lefkara hillclimb. If you look closely you wil see me or at least the back of me Check out the wing on the Lancia Integrale and the front spoiler on the EVO. 900 odd hp, detuned to 700 for hillclimb. Nothing comes close. These are workshop cars.