Sponsored by:

sti or sti-d

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2006, 12:26 PM
daz-c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti or sti-d

I need your help, looking to purchase my first scooby (56 plate) and always loved the wr-blue sti but my local dealer tells me that he has a un-registered sti-d coming in very soon.
But as my wife will use it 75% logic tells me to go for the less descreat model as I dont want some scum bag following her or trying to car jack her plus she is not so keen on what she calls a chav car with bling gold wheels.
Any Sti-D owners out there that can back up my sensible side?

Daz
Old 21 October 2006, 12:35 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I have a 2003 WRX. I like the sti but i think it does look a bit ott. I think the discreet is nice a bit to discreet, but i'd rather have one than standard sti especially if the missus is gonna drive it most of the time. I dont think u get the 3K worth of free fuel on the sti-d though.
Old 21 October 2006, 12:51 PM
daz-c
Scooby Regular

just checked the terms on the free fuel and it does not say anything about limited editions and there are no 06 models wr-blue left to qualify for free fuel.
Old 21 October 2006, 12:53 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont go for neither go for a SPEC C
Old 21 October 2006, 01:10 PM
daz-c
Scooby Regular

I would also love a spec-c but a little harsh for my wifes frame
Old 21 October 2006, 01:24 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Spec D all the way. All the speed and handling with out the bling.
Old 21 October 2006, 02:14 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Get a black sti - suprisingly discreet!

Trending Topics

Old 21 October 2006, 08:21 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. They do look really good and a bit more discreet than in WR blue.
Old 21 October 2006, 08:39 PM
tomfraser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Get a black sti - suprisingly discreet!
i got a black sti... its still a head turner! dont think you can get away with not being seen in a scooby
Old 21 October 2006, 09:39 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Or heard, PITUSH
Old 21 October 2006, 09:45 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
Or heard, PITUSH
Noooooooooo!
Old 21 October 2006, 10:05 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

My mrs thinks dump valves sound like a bus when the doors open. Pitush. She sais she'd divorce me if i got mine dump valved.
Old 21 October 2006, 10:33 PM
Will
BANNED

Old 21 October 2006, 10:35 PM
Will
BANNED

when i took my misses for first time in my scoob and the dump valve went off she told me that the car was leeking air!!!!!!
Old 23 October 2006, 03:42 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz-c
I need your help, looking to purchase my first scooby (56 plate) and always loved the wr-blue sti but my local dealer tells me that he has a un-registered sti-d coming in very soon.
But as my wife will use it 75% logic tells me to go for the less descreat model as I dont want some scum bag following her or trying to car jack her plus she is not so keen on what she calls a chav car with bling gold wheels.
Any Sti-D owners out there that can back up my sensible side?

Daz
Discrete doesn't have to be sensible. I've had my Spec D for just over two weeks now and the Spec D bits, interior, navigation etc are great - but then it does have a performance upgrade, adjustabel suspension etc etc as well. As I had to buy a new car it was a non brainer to get the Spec D with the extra bits on it and full leather as a 'bace car' for what I ended to end up with.

Robin

Last edited by RobinSherwood; 23 October 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:53 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a Black or Grey Sti with Bright Flitter Prodrive Alloys, much more discreet than a Blue/Gold Wheels one if thats what floats your boat. If you want fast and discreet why not take a look at something different?
Old 23 October 2006, 04:03 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I'd go for a Black or Grey Sti with Bright Flitter Prodrive Alloys, much more discreet than a Blue/Gold Wheels one if thats what floats your boat. If you want fast and discreet why not take a look at something different?
Totally agree I have the Bright Flitter Prodrive wheels on my Spec D, they look fantastic with the Crystal Grey colour of the car.

Robin
Old 23 October 2006, 05:39 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
when i took my misses for first time in my scoob and the dump valve went off she told me that the car was leeking air!!!!!!
Sounds like the time i took a friend out in my STi, she thought the rev limiter was my mobile.
Old 23 October 2006, 06:03 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want discreet go for the Spec D. I have a Crystal Grey STI and love the discreetness of the colour even with the high rear spoiler!
Old 23 October 2006, 09:03 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Go for the Sti - you will only regret it in the long term.......

WR Blue for sure.........although after 12 months I've grown out of the Gold Alloys, anthracite is the answer IMHO.........
Old 24 October 2006, 12:28 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
Go for the Sti - you will only regret it in the long term.......

WR Blue for sure.........although after 12 months I've grown out of the Gold Alloys, anthracite is the answer IMHO.........
I can't understand why anyone would regret a Spec D over a standard Sti?

The Spec D is an Sti, it has the same engine, suspension and brakes. It just also happens to have a full leather interior, extra sound proofing, better stereo head unit, bluetooth and Smartnav satnav all built in as well as Sti wheels in silver instead of gold. The other difference is that (as standard) it has a low level spoiler and is debadged on the outside.

So you get the same performance and handling as a 'normal' Sti with a better interior, more toys and a more restrained external appearance.

For me it made the perfect base for an upgraded Sti to replace my WR1, early days but I can think of no reason so far that would make me wish I had started with a standard Sti rather then a Sti Spec D.

Regards,

Robin
Old 24 October 2006, 12:36 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

When you buy a scooby the first thing you want to do is say..LOOK AT ME IN THIS BEAST....Blue is the only colour mate. Sti 06 is a very stiff ride and will give you nipple rash on any road other than perfectly smooth one,dont know if the 'D' spec is the same...
Old 24 October 2006, 01:30 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
When you buy a scooby the first thing you want to do is say..LOOK AT ME IN THIS BEAST....Blue is the only colour mate. Sti 06 is a very stiff ride and will give you nipple rash on any road other than perfectly smooth one,dont know if the 'D' spec is the same...
That sort of thing is all down to personal taste. My WR1 had a big 'look at me' factor, the Spec D in standard form less so but mine has turned a few heads, but then it isn't standard.

In the end I am more concerned by how it drives and the enjoyment I get out of it.

Can't comment on the standard ride as mine was changed to AST adjustable suspension before I took delivery of it.

For Colzo and anyone else who wanted to see a picture, here is my slighlty less discrete Spec D

Regards,

Robin
Old 24 October 2006, 04:16 PM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
The last thing I want to do is say "look at me in this beast", but then each to their own.
Old 24 October 2006, 04:33 PM
daz-c
Scooby Regular

thing about the spec-d is it's not quite in ya face as much as I'd like it to be, the sat nav thing is an aftermarket item just bolted to the dash so if I needed satnav any of the aftermarket items would do and I had the pioneer bluetooth installed in my L200 only to have it taken out coz it was rubbish.
And like I said I'll only be able to play with it at weekends as the wife wil use it for work during the week.
I think I've just sold myself WR BLUE with CHAV GOLD wheels for this kid.

Now to see how low my local dealer will go if I flash the cheque book in his face. That's the best price any of you guys have paid for an 07 and were from?

Daz
Old 24 October 2006, 05:27 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
That sort of thing is all down to personal taste. My WR1 had a big 'look at me' factor, the Spec D in standard form less so but mine has turned a few heads, but then it isn't standard.

In the end I am more concerned by how it drives and the enjoyment I get out of it.

Can't comment on the standard ride as mine was changed to AST adjustable suspension before I took delivery of it.

For Colzo and anyone else who wanted to see a picture, here is my slighlty less discrete Spec D

Regards,

Robin
I think what your saying is that you want the Sti with all the toys of the Spec D - as yours is no longer discrete.....

Looks excellent.....
Old 24 October 2006, 05:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Seconded ! A very smart motor car !
Old 24 October 2006, 06:52 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I like the standard Spec D, and the D side of it may stop it disappearing off your drive one night as it looks like a WRX, not an STI. All the threads about cars being stolen on here appear to be about STI's (I might have missed one though). It's the STI without the 'chavy' extras
Old 24 October 2006, 10:28 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Robin.
Old 25 October 2006, 01:36 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Robin - whats the splitter you have on the front of the car -Subaru item or independent supplier.

Only ask as Subaru have a front spoiler listed, but no pics, just wondered if that was the baby.

Very nice,

Gareth

Quick Reply: sti or sti-d