Sponsored by:

Hmm, today's not a good day on Scoobynet

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2006, 11:37 PM
Legal Eagle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm, today's not a good day on Scoobynet

I'm disappointed that there seems to be a downer taken against me and/or people in my profession. I will readily admit that, as in most other professions, there are good and bad but it seems that the anonymity of a bbs gives some people an opportunity to be very derogatory against fellow ScoobyNetters (and you know who you are). I am not worried that you don’t like some in my profession (and you may not even like me, tho I do not know why or how you can reach this view (not that I care)). I wonder if you have the same apparent dislike of IT personnel or sales people or doctors. If I had an office which you visited for advice and assistance on, say, making a will, trust planning, bankruptcy, a company formation or buying a lease and you were rude to me, I would tell you to go somewhere else.

Now, I am not going to come on here and bleat at length about how rude some people are to each other, or how deliberately unhelpful some are. It has been well documented that there are people among our community who are helpful, humorous, technically minded and very willing to assist others. There are also some who are not. What I do find interesting as well as a little sad is the sniping some of us get for offering a response to our fellow enthusiasts. I cannot see the point in being offensive in such a public forum but for some I suppose the purpose may be to boost their self-esteem because it is pitifully low.

I can remember a while back I took some very unpleasant criticism from one or two members who are well known to have a bit of attitude. I have also commented on how an innocent enquiry by one turns into a slanging match between others. Why do some of us find it necessary to be so offensive? We share an interest but seem to be unable to live comfortably with each other’s differences. I am surprised at the level of arrogance of some of us that prevents us from simply reading a post without bitching at either the thread-author or the respondents. Maybe this is what an internet bbs is all about. Normal standards of behaviour and courtesy need not exist in this virtual world – it certainly doesn’t on Scoobynet, and regrettably Scoobynet is poorer rather than richer as a result.

I shall stay here for a while, maybe, before deleting Scoobynet from my favourites. You won’t miss me. I won’t miss you.
Old 18 October 2006, 11:43 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

relax buddy..its only a forum..theres more to life!!!
Old 18 October 2006, 11:44 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

chill pill
Old 18 October 2006, 11:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

As I said in one of my previous posts, being rude and obnoxious seems to have become fashionable??
Old 19 October 2006, 12:34 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Eagle
I'm disappointed that there seems to be a downer taken against me and/or people in my profession. I will readily admit that, as in most other professions, there are good and bad but it seems that the anonymity of a bbs gives some people an opportunity to be very derogatory against fellow ScoobyNetters (and you know who you are). I am not worried that you don’t like some in my profession (and you may not even like me, tho I do not know why or how you can reach this view (not that I care)). I wonder if you have the same apparent dislike of IT personnel or sales people or doctors. If I had an office which you visited for advice and assistance on, say, making a will, trust planning, bankruptcy, a company formation or buying a lease and you were rude to me, I would tell you to go somewhere else.

Now, I am not going to come on here and bleat at length about how rude some people are to each other, or how deliberately unhelpful some are. It has been well documented that there are people among our community who are helpful, humorous, technically minded and very willing to assist others. There are also some who are not. What I do find interesting as well as a little sad is the sniping some of us get for offering a response to our fellow enthusiasts. I cannot see the point in being offensive in such a public forum but for some I suppose the purpose may be to boost their self-esteem because it is pitifully low.

I can remember a while back I took some very unpleasant criticism from one or two members who are well known to have a bit of attitude. I have also commented on how an innocent enquiry by one turns into a slanging match between others. Why do some of us find it necessary to be so offensive? We share an interest but seem to be unable to live comfortably with each other’s differences. I am surprised at the level of arrogance of some of us that prevents us from simply reading a post without bitching at either the thread-author or the respondents. Maybe this is what an internet bbs is all about. Normal standards of behaviour and courtesy need not exist in this virtual world – it certainly doesn’t on Scoobynet, and regrettably Scoobynet is poorer rather than richer as a result.

I shall stay here for a while, maybe, before deleting Scoobynet from my favourites. You won’t miss me. I won’t miss you.
Its just human nature **** in parliament and **** on scoobynet etc causes agro leading to war/slagging off etc.
Old 19 October 2006, 12:51 AM
burnz
Scooby Regular

Stick with it mate,don't really post on here as late but this thread has caught my eye.As they say "there's always one", Or more on scoobynet.
Old 19 October 2006, 12:54 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burnz
Stick with it mate,don't really post on here as late but this thread has caught my eye.As they say "there's always one", Or more on scoobynet.
You need to visit Midland Scoobies - For The Midlands Subaru Community
Old 19 October 2006, 12:58 AM
burnz
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dazza01, will take alook.
Old 19 October 2006, 08:04 AM
ads00
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb life

Unfortunately "That’s life", a lot of people are small minded and intolerant of others but that’s just the way the world is. Scoobynet is very useful and a lot of funny and helpful ppl on here. As ya mam used to say "just ignore them an they’ll go away".
Old 19 October 2006, 08:24 AM
octain
Scooby Regular

The best post ive read on here so far, well done mate and it saved me saying it,

Mick
Old 19 October 2006, 08:31 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Well said that man, I have been trying to sell a P1 in the For Sale section for some time now, most of the comments I have had have been great, but some are just peeing me off now(you know who you are), this place is for people to enjoy a lot of people put in a lot of hard work for Scoobynet and it just pees me off to see that some people still have the attitude they had when they were in junior school.
Cheers
Colin
Old 19 October 2006, 08:36 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate its a very vocal minority on here. they have nothing better to do than to berate and abuse people online.

perhaps because they wont do it face to face. Its easy to abuse someone online then run away turn the PC off and sit there giggling.

dont take it too personally mate. 99.9% of members are decent enough blokes (and some girls ) on here.

Chill out relax and **** 'em
Old 19 October 2006, 08:56 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day there are a few on here that seem to slate everyone so I don't think you are singled out, don't let the f**kers grind you down
Stick with it & input what you feel the need to, people who have non constructive things to say are not worth the response TBH.

Paul.
Old 19 October 2006, 09:39 AM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

I have been on SN for quite a while now, don't post much but watch on a fairly regular basis.
I too have noticed the increase in abuse and the increasing use of bad language, even if some people do make the effort to obliterate part of the word with @#$*'s etc, is it really necessary?

Perhaps the mods should set up a new specific section on SN strictly for use by those that wish to be abusive to each other and offer no real input to what was (and probably still is) the best single car marque bulletin board in exsistance........................................ ..................................................
Strange thing is it would probably be a relatively unused section.

Ralph
Old 19 October 2006, 10:07 AM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

wherever you go mate, you'll always be faced by small minded people, its part of life and something we have to deal with.
I tend to reflect on their behaviour and make a mental note not to ever act like them, so in actual fact they make me a better person. You can always make good out of something bad, running away from it is for cowards!!
Old 19 October 2006, 10:12 AM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Many times on SN a simple question turns into a slanging match between a couple of members and then others join in.

There does seem to be a few members with no useful input to contribute and just look around for opportunities to annoy someone.
Old 19 October 2006, 10:21 AM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Listen, we all know this place has it's resident idiots. All your doing by creating threads like this is feeding them - they will see this and be happy, because their objective of annoying members and disrupting the boards has worked.

The management on here are plainly letting these people continue with their disruption, so all we can do is ignore it. Or does the opinion of someone you've never met, never likely to meet & who spends most of their day deliberately trying to wind up people on an internet forum matter to you?
Old 19 October 2006, 10:24 AM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

dont go anywhere mate most people on here are very helpful and hopfully will stay that way,ive spoke to at least 10 people that used to use sn and have left for the same reasons its bullying i think the mods need to have a look and if something is way out of contexed get rid of it its the only way these poeple can be stoped.ive met some top people on sn so its not all bad.as for your proffesion they will need you one day bide your time.
Old 19 October 2006, 11:15 AM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Isn't the 'fight club' section for abuse? Why can't they stay in there???

The swearing and random abuse by 'keyboard warriors' (plus the constant 'you spelt that wrong' jibes) are annoying quite a few people at the moment, myself included. I tried sticking up for someone the other day and then ended up getting abused myself! Some people are pathetic, I think the it's about time the 'ban' button was used more regularily. *Cue someone slagging me off again for speaking out *
Old 19 October 2006, 11:18 AM
wilb
Scooby Regular

It's the same old rubbish from the same old people too. I've just checked your other thread.
Old 19 October 2006, 11:26 AM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Its a shame really, i read on the bbc website that someone has been found guilty of the first case of what is called webrage. Its shocking to think that in this instance it went beyond comments on a chat room to actual violence.

BBC NEWS | England | London | Internet user admits 'web-rage'
Old 19 October 2006, 11:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
As I said in one of my previous posts, being rude and obnoxious seems to have become fashionable??
It's fashionable, it's entertainment, ("Weakest Link", "X-Factor" etc), it's in older kids' programmes, in fact everywhere you look, insulting someone has become the norm.

And yet, we, as a nation, purport to want to stamp out bullying

Alcazar
Old 19 October 2006, 11:42 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with a lot of the posts above.

There are a few people who come here just to irritate people, which is very sad. I have risen to a few recently, all by the same person. Am learning to just ignore these people, as they are not worth getting annoyed about.

However, just look at the 'big bhp every day car' or the '2.33 engine' threads and you'll see scoobynet at it's best....people helping each other and giving fantastic advise.
Old 19 October 2006, 11:46 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

However, just look at the 'big bhp every day car' or the '2.33 engine' threads and you'll see scoobynet at it's best....people helping each other and giving fantastic advise.

Agree 1000% some great people on here and i've learnt a lot.

not slagging off other forums but i hardly ever go on SIDC anymore.
i spend my time on here
Old 19 October 2006, 11:52 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by alcazar
It's fashionable, it's entertainment, ("Weakest Link", "X-Factor" etc), it's in older kids' programmes, in fact everywhere you look, insulting someone has become the norm.

And yet, we, as a nation, purport to want to stamp out bullying

Alcazar
Couldn't agree more!! The media thrives on nasty, demeaning so- called "entertainment" where being obnoxious/arrogant/opinionated/smug etc... is somehow portrayed as being a good thing! We also put p*ss poor examples of human beings on podiums and show them becoming rich beyond our wildest dreams.

And then we all wonder why there is a increasingly pervasive sense of disaffection (and that's putting it mildly) in society today!

The alarming thing is though, that these programmes are only being made because WE are watching them!! Quite alarming really!

Ns04
Old 19 October 2006, 11:58 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

That's what confuses me. This is a subaru and performance car forum. If they are not going to contribute towards these subjects, why do they bother logging on. They may just aswell go to on a skiing holiday to talk about knitting!
To them, insulting people makes them feel big. To everybody else, they look stupid.
Old 19 October 2006, 12:08 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick_wrx
Its a shame really, i read on the bbc website that someone has been found guilty of the first case of what is called webrage. Its shocking to think that in this instance it went beyond comments on a chat room to actual violence.

BBC NEWS | England | London | Internet user admits 'web-rage'
What is really a shame is that this happened in Dec 2005!!! How comes it has taken this long?!
Old 19 October 2006, 12:13 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Before this gets hyped up beyond comprehension, take a breath, sit down and 'read' through the posts & threads concerned..........

Legal Eagle is seldom 'helpful' and more often than not a sanctimonious stuck up snob, taking every opportunity to belittle those posters concerned with recent speeding convictions, nips, etc...

Then he/she posts a 'Scoobynet is horrible to me' post and the entire population comes out in sympathy telling he/she to 'hang on in there'...... he/she is not unlike a naughty child (or for that matter troll) by seeking attention by saying he/she 'may go' but will hang around for a little while first before he/she decides what to do.......

Yes, Scoobynet started as a 'car enthusiasts forum, and although it has become much more over the years it still remains a useful and informative technical source for modders and would be modders alike.... but like the real world it has its good and bad, you just learn to chose what you read and what/who you reply to

So grow a big pair of bollocks Legal Eagle and stop sniffing around for praise and admiration (which you should know by now is hard earned by your actions/advice) not given freely just because you are in a certain profession....
Old 19 October 2006, 12:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Before this gets hyped up beyond comprehension, take a breath, sit down and 'read' through the posts & threads concerned..........

Legal Eagle is seldom 'helpful' and more often than not a sanctimonious stuck up snob, taking every opportunity to belittle those posters concerned with recent speeding convictions, nips, etc...

Then he/she posts a 'Scoobynet is horrible to me' post and the entire population comes out in sympathy telling he/she to 'hang on in there'...... he/she is not unlike a naughty child (or for that matter troll) by seeking attention by saying he/she 'may go' but will hang around for a little while first before he/she decides what to do.......

Yes, Scoobynet started as a 'car enthusiasts forum, and although it has become much more over the years it still remains a useful and informative technical source for modders and would be modders alike.... but like the real world it has its good and bad, you just learn to chose what you read and what/who you reply to

So grow a big pair of bollocks Legal Eagle and stop sniffing around for praise and admiration (which you should know by now is hard earned by your actions/advice) not given freely just because you are in a certain profession....
Had a quick look at some of Legal Eagle's posts and have to agree I'm with the DCI on this.
Old 19 October 2006, 12:22 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
That's what confuses me. This is a subaru and performance car forum. If they are not going to contribute towards these subjects, why do they bother logging on. They may just aswell go to on a skiing holiday to talk about knitting!
To them, insulting people makes them feel big. To everybody else, they look stupid.
The problem is that people are looking to gain the moral high ground and put other down where possible either by saying you have got a poor mans scoob, slagging them off or what ever.

I have only been a member for a short time but there is obviously the long term people on here that do generally insult others, and to be honest i have moved across to the SIDC forums and local forums for advice as it seems that people on other sites are more keen to help.

It seems that people here are looking for there nth thousand post count.

Quick Reply: Hmm, today's not a good day on Scoobynet