Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth importing my car to the UK?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2006, 04:05 AM
Sporty G
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it worth importing my car to the UK?

Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering moving back to the UK at some point in 2007 (I have a British citizenship and I did attend primary school in Devon). I'll either work for a few years and then go to school for my MA/PhD, or I'll simply explore longterm work oppurtunities.

I would like to bring my car with me. It's a Canadian LHD 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. I'v explored a few potential options for bringing the car to the UK, but they all seem to be to easy. Importing a car into North America is virtually impossible as both national governments strictly regulate the industry and the vehicles than can be insured and operated on our road infrastructures, which is why it seems so strange that cars can be so easily brought into the UK from places OUTSIDE of Europe.

If I brought my car into the UK, what then? I'v asked for some insurance information elsewhere on this site but what about MOTs, taxes, etc?

STIs are much more expensive in the UK than here so my only oppurtunity for owning one there would likely to bring mine with me.

Any advice, tips, etc., would be great everybody!!!

BTW, here are some shots of my car from a long road trip in the summer.

Current mods are quite light: Tanabe GF210 springs, Power Slot slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pioneer Avic-D1 satnav, full stereo, etc., etc...

Old 18 October 2006, 05:02 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there!

I am really guessing here, but as far as I am aware an imported car under ten years old has to go for EVSA type approval when you import it into the UK.

For this to happen you must have a model report for your type of vehicle. For JDM imports Litchfields generally hold the monopoly on model reports, and it is through them you would 'rent' a report, if a) they had one b) they like you and wanted to let it out.

I have not heard of anyone importing a USDM car into the UK so I doubt very much that there is a model report available.

Bearing this in mind I would assume it would be a costly excercise.

I am speculating, and maybe someone else can confirm or deny what I have said!

Hope that helps,

Mark
Old 18 October 2006, 05:19 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Cars sitting low, looks
Old 18 October 2006, 06:27 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure that a type UK is out of your reach financially? Remember that at the moment a UK STI is depreciating by 40% in its first year, so would make a year old one very reasonable.

The offers that have been available the last few years (free PPP, free servicing, free fuel......) have decimated residual values.....
Old 18 October 2006, 06:55 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

if you want to keep the car untill you return to Canada (if thats an option) then it maybe worth keeping it, however you willl need to sort out importing and exporting twice, if you plan on selling one day while you are in the UK then imo you will be throwing your money away by bringing it here.
It may cost a bit more in the short term to get a UK Sti but long term i think you would get a better return on the UK car than your current one if you was to sell in the UK! does that make sense?
Old 18 October 2006, 07:10 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marky9074
Hi there!

I am really guessing here, but as far as I am aware an imported car under ten years old has to go for EVSA type approval when you import it into the UK.

For this to happen you must have a model report for your type of vehicle. For JDM imports Litchfields generally hold the monopoly on model reports, and it is through them you would 'rent' a report, if a) they had one b) they like you and wanted to let it out.

I have not heard of anyone importing a USDM car into the UK so I doubt very much that there is a model report available.

Bearing this in mind I would assume it would be a costly excercise.

I am speculating, and maybe someone else can confirm or deny what I have said!

Hope that helps,

Mark
Actually importing from the US (and presumably, Canada too) is easier than from Japan - give Iain at Litchfield Imports a call, he's the expert.
Old 18 October 2006, 07:58 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stay where you are mate, this country is going down the pan

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2006, 08:40 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Stay where you are mate, this country is going down the pan
which country ? Wales ?!

Marky, if US vehicle prices are anything to go by, and assuming you're not planning to bring the car back to Canada, then due to the difference values it may be worth your while bringing the car into the UK. Re tax, it might be worth your while contacting the UK Inland Revenue, there must be a website I suppose !! How much do you reckon your car is worth if you sell it now in Canada ?

So are you moving for a job or a woman ?!
Old 18 October 2006, 10:47 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I personally wouldn't want the hassle of importing a car with me unless it was something very rare. No offence, but your model of car is hardly rare and when you do get it legally imported you'll have a left hooker in a country that drives on the other side of the road to you.
Old 18 October 2006, 10:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Nice car, stunning scenery.

As to importing.......a mate once imported a Golf, left hooker, and did so as he assumed he'd not be able to buy as good for the price here.

It was a PITA to drive on the left, overtaking was either a complete , or a dangerous nightmare. Imagine THAT in an Impreza......all that power, and little hot hatches will pass you AND the car you can't, as they CAN see I know, I've driven my own RHD Impreza miles (kilometres?) in France. Add to that the problems of seeing properly at junctions meant for RHD cars, on the UK's VERY crowded roads..........

I'd SERIOUSLY look to sell privately in Canada, come here with cash money, and do a good deal on a RHD one. It's not as if there aren't LOADS for sale here, for good prices, so cash buyers will have the upper hand.

Best of luck, anyway.

Oh, and I think you're daft to come back to the UK too

Alcazar
Old 18 October 2006, 01:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Talk of Model Reports and ESVA, although well-meant is nonsense. A LHD car doesnt have to take an Enhanced-SVA test; it takes a simple SVA. If it did though it still wouldnt be an issue as you are a British subject returning home after living abroad. The car will count as a personal import (all others are commercial imports irrespective of a persons trade status) and as such it would only need to pass a simple SVA test. The personal import route has strong VAT benefits too but you will need to show documentary evidence that you have owned and run the car for the previous six months (and that you have lived abroad for the previous twelve months).

Simon
Old 18 October 2006, 02:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you owned the car for over a year out of the country then you shouldn't need to get any for of sva test done on it, only MOT, Tax and insurance inorder to get your number plates.

Or at least this is what I dod when I imported my car to the UK when I left the Army. If you are having a car imported then you will need type aproval, sva and whotsit report.

but the rules could have changed since I imported mine.
Old 18 October 2006, 02:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Left hand drive cars do not require an E-SVA certificate so a Model Report is not required.

To qualify as a Personal Import the owner needs have lived abroad for the last 12 months and they must have owned and used the car for the last 6 months.

Personal Imports do require an SVA certificate for registration.

Simon