Sponsored by:

blob eyes v classics

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 07:05 PM
shorty118
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blob eyes v classics

i currently own a classic and im going away with work for abit so should come back with a bit of money saved up.was thinking about changing cars.originaly i was going to spend 3k on mine but tbh id rather have a new toy.so im unsure weather or not to sell mine.wot are new scoobs like iver herd there very heavy.what would u do if u had the cash mod a 98 classic or sell for a newer scoob or by classic 3door.
Old 13 October 2006, 07:21 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

P1 or type r
Old 13 October 2006, 07:25 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

mod,mod,mod ,,,im in the same position,,,,buy a p1 or any thing and you will just want to mod that = px + cash+ cash for mods

stu
Old 13 October 2006, 07:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newer scoob, honestly the only people who say buy another classic are those who dont own a new age, ive owned both, no looking back, new age all the way

Tony
Old 13 October 2006, 08:30 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I had a 93 WRX and now own an 01 bug eye .... The bug eye handles so much more superb as standard.

Go newer ......... There not so common either [flamesuit on]
Old 13 October 2006, 08:47 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends on you mate, i was gonna get an 03 sti and went for a test drive in a few and didnt like them, i like the rawness of the classics so i went and bought a classic ra v ltd

Every ones different, so why not go out for test drives in both and see which ones best for you

James
Old 13 October 2006, 08:50 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

By a classic, do you mean the old one that looked like a Toyota Corrola with a body kit and the hard, scratched plastic interior?

Steve
Old 13 October 2006, 08:50 PM
NeilP1
Scooby Regular

i have gone from 93 wrx/P1 and now 05 sti turn in is a lot better but i still want my old P1 back
Old 13 October 2006, 09:37 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Not everyone Tony.........

I went from UK97 Turbo (modified) to 53 plate sti.
To be honest I missed the raw edge of the classic and still do to this day. In the end I've spent a bit of money getting the newage to a stage that keeps me happy (18g turbo; ast's etc)
Certainly don't miss the dash rattles on the old one though.......
Old 13 October 2006, 09:58 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I've had newage bug and blob WRXs and now I drive a classic STi. The STi is a playtime/weekend car and I love it for that, but if I were to have a car for everyday, I'd get a newage car.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:02 PM
wrcturbo
Scooby Regular

P1 or type r or upgrade yours dude. Classics rock, keep it raw keep it real! Unleash a bigger turbo and apexi fc on it and an HKS hiper ti 3 inch.
I reckon the classic sounds better.....but I may be slightly bias!

Did you know subaru in reverse spells u-r-a-bus??

YouTube - P1 vs Evo - Top Gear

P1 was quicker pity she messed a handbrake turn up.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:11 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

i have owned a clasic and now am on my 2nd newage"my05 sti".it is the best all round car i have had so far BUT......pound for pound if your into cars a nice 2 door sti6 is very hard to beat for looks,speed and your not going to lose much money when its time to sell
Old 13 October 2006, 10:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Classics aint really raw, they are just unrefined, you can still get a new age thats "raw" ie an ultimate driving machine that gives you everything you want but also has refinement, not rattles etc which classics suffered from
Do I miss my 260bhp classic.... no not really, its a BIG step backwards.
Driven a modded v3 sti type ra, its not a patch on my pretty standard C

Tony
Old 13 October 2006, 10:48 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

I must be lucky, my classic has 65,000 miles now and doesnt have any rattles at all.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:51 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

classics are soo ASBO these days
Old 13 October 2006, 11:01 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

thats the only trouble with classics. there are too many untastefully modded ones knocking about as they can be had for a couple of grand
Old 13 October 2006, 11:03 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I agree, classics are to common with the low lifes.

I own a 98 wrx which is simply a toy. Cant really justify another newer car as I dont even need one to go to work.

My mates 02 WRX was a lot nicer to drive as an all round car, but I love the rattles and unrefinement of the classic.

Wish I still had my old MK2 RS2000, now that was raw!
Old 14 October 2006, 12:12 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Buy a newage !.................but modify it !!!
Old 14 October 2006, 01:40 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

id give the new age a try, after all if you dont like it you can always go back. i had 2 classics and ive now got an 05 sti, for the first 4 months i wouldve grabbed the chance to have my old car back but now im used to the sti i wouldnt dream of going back-the newage is a very quick machine once you get used to it and to be honest i find the sti to still be raw-just in a slightly diffrent way. although my neighbours just got an immaculate ra with ap 6pots and a freshly rebuilt 330 bhp engine. and he usually changes cars after a couple of months...i may become a 2 impreza household,just need to convince the missus its for her really
Old 14 October 2006, 11:48 AM
New_scooby_04

My two cents as a classic owner (MY99 with a few mods )

I've had a go in a few new age cars and, of course, they are a step foward in many respects- cars generally improve in their lifespan; that's just the way it goes. In particular the difference in refinement between a classic and new age is remarkable. The new age is clearly a better all round car.

The obvious consequence of improvements in safety and refinement is weight, and the new ages (even the spec C) have a significant weight penalty over the classic. If you want to know the impact this has, do as I did. Get in a new age WRX and then drive a classic UK turbo. I PROMISE you, you'll come out of it prefering the performance of the classic! Of course, there is a lot you can do with a WRX to deal with that, but you can do the same with the classic and it will always be marginally ahead. I have a mate with an EVO 340 and another with a Scooby WRX with a 16G conversion running about 340bhp and both of them had to admit that they couldn't catch my car (circa 320bhp). That's the weight penalty I'd hazzard a guess.

Ns04
Old 14 October 2006, 12:19 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
....If you want to know the impact this has, do as I did. Get in a new age WRX and then drive a classic UK turbo. I PROMISE you, you'll come out of it prefering the performance of the classic!
Ditto that! On the recent run to Japfest my mates all commented on the performance of my STi V4. These guys are running 03 JDM STi and an 02 WRX modded to 316 bhp. Mine would be even faster if it weren't for the UK spec gearbox it now has, however I don't run out of revs at the top end
Old 14 October 2006, 05:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

I have a mate with an EVO 340 and another with a Scooby WRX with a 16G conversion running about 340bhp and both of them had to admit that they couldn't catch my car (circa 320bhp). That's the weight penalty I'd hazzard a guess.

Ns04
that's until the 3 of you get to a corner

i loved my old uk classic (mapped to 270 bhp) but my std 05 sti would kill it through corners. (with me at both wheels!!)

they are just different beasts, my mate used to **** himself in my classic. when i took him for a spin in the sti he said it felt like you were pulled along rather than being slammed from behind. maybe that's refinement for you, it's hard to tell, but sticking my neck out i'd go for the newage.

by the way, my sti has as many annoying squeeks and rattles as my classic i blame the REO70's
Old 14 October 2006, 05:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I PROMISE you, you'll come out of it prefering the performance of the classic!
Ns04
Trouble is that the new age.... lots of people quote classic STi v New age UK STi (ppp or non ppp) and there is no comparison, now compare JDM Classic v JDM new age and the new age is a quicker car.
Its called developement, the engines produce more power, there is better cooling, better aerodynamics and it all counts

My car on the rolling road today, ok its adapted to v power without octane booster (it dropped its multiplier though its now been reset and goes like stink again ) but I would love to see ANY classic impreza pushing 315lbs of torque out of the box.... the answer is no they wont.

Turbo v newage wrx.... yes the turbo is quicker, there is less developement here than there is in the STi, but ask a wrx owner if he wants to swap for a classic, they will laugh at you and tell you where to go

Modded v3 JDM STi type RA v Spec C.... no contest, the C had more power and better delivery, it was definately quicker to 4k rpm (new engine on the v3 so didnt take it above that) and where as I was in 3rd in traffic in the v3, 5th in the C.

Impreza's have advanced, people who prefer classics.... well stoneage and not driven a new age come into it (ducks! ) but new age are a vast improvement over what was a rather cheap looking car.

Tony
Old 14 October 2006, 06:27 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
now compare JDM Classic v JDM new age and the new age is a quicker car.
Sorry don't agree with you there. My Version 4 vs friend's blobeye JDM STi with the twin scroll (don't know the version number) are about the same.
Old 14 October 2006, 06:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Sorry don't agree with you there. My Version 4 vs friend's blobeye JDM STi with the twin scroll (don't know the version number) are about the same.
But its a heavier car his torque in the mid range will slaughter you, these cars can push over 70lbs more torque out than a classic in standard form, the "290lbs" of the 03/04 cars is a little under estimated
Also the classics have several different gearboxes (ratio's) depending on version of car, the newage JDM's have the same ratio's
Its the drivability, newage JDM's are quicker (try driving around town in 5th at 25mph )

Tony
Old 14 October 2006, 06:42 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Yes, the newage may be quicker. An evo MR340 is even more so. So why don't you buy the evo?
Old 14 October 2006, 06:43 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

his torque in the mid range will slaughter you, these cars can push over 70lbs more torque out than a classic in standard form, the "290lbs" of the 03/04 cars is a little under estimated
Well, now he will most definitely slaughter me since he got it remapped today - 355 lb ft now
Old 14 October 2006, 07:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Yes, the newage may be quicker. An evo MR340 is even more so. So why don't you buy the evo?
Because its lifeless

Tony
Old 14 October 2006, 07:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Well, now he will most definitely slaughter me since he got it remapped today - 355 lb ft now
That all? my last rolling road (when my car didnt decide to retart its ignition) ran 356lbs, unmapped on a standard car (except panel filter ) they are capable of so much more than 355lbs

Tony
Old 14 October 2006, 07:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Its the drivability, newage JDM's are quicker (try driving around town in 5th at 25mph )

Tony

Honestly Tony, you're trying to demonstrate the superiority of the new ages by referring to a situation you'd not find yourself in if you were driving properly: 5th gear at 25mph???

I think people are jumping to the wrong conclusions: I accept that the new ages are better all round cars; I said that this is progress for ya in my original post. My comparison was between a UK turbo and a WRX (i.e. the replacement to the UK turbo) and I defy anyone to say it doesn't stand.

Now when we come to JDM cars, well, again, I don't think anyone would doubt that they get a better spec than the Europeans, that's always been the damn case. Although one good thing about this currently is that we get to keep the burble. I honestly wouldn't want to loose this and yes I have heard a new age with a Miltek exhaust, it was v nice, but not as nice or -more importantly- characterful/distinctive as a unequal length header scooby! Call me sad if you like. Again, I accept that the JDM set up is superior.

Now we come to the crunch: Who, hand on heart thinks that a 340bhp JDM is going to murder a 200 kilo lighter 320bhp classic in straight line performance??

Beat it, quite possibly, but I respectfully suggest the old gal with give you something to think about!!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 14 October 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: blob eyes v classics