Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best,Type R or RA Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 06:19 PM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best,Type R or RA Impreza?

As above realy, been offered an Impreza Type R for a swap on my M3, problem is I dont know much about them TBH
Can anyone help me on the value and other things I should know.
Thanks Mr Brannen
Old 13 October 2006, 06:35 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Basically the same running gear just a question of 2 or 4 doors. I prefer 2 doors
Old 13 October 2006, 06:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RA, it comes with a few more "extras" over the type R

Tony
Old 13 October 2006, 06:50 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

2 doors = way forward
Old 13 October 2006, 06:50 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Like what? RA has extra doors etc but no side skirts.

Type R everytime..
Old 13 October 2006, 07:21 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave R
Like what? RA has extra doors etc but no side skirts.

Type R everytime..
Certain versions of the ra come with sti Quick rack and a helical front differential which is not the case on the type r,s....well on the version 5/6 cars anyway.

Also mine has no front driving lights,no rear wiper,no boot light and you get to play with a roof ventthat is only standard on the limited type r,s.

Although i would be more than happy with either the type r or type ra..
Old 13 October 2006, 07:23 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
Certain versions of the ra come with sti Quick rack and a helical front differential which is not the case on the type r,s....well on the version 5/6 cars anyway.

Also mine has no front driving lights,no rear wiper,no boot light and you get to play with a roof ventthat is only standard on the limited type r,s.

Although i would be more than happy with either the type r or type ra..

I take it were on about the sti variant?
Old 13 October 2006, 07:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Also engine oil coolers on the STi type RA's not on a type R.

Tony
Old 13 October 2006, 09:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The 47D Type-RA was the cheapest Impreza in the range! Perhaps you mean which is better; WRX STI Type-R or WRX STI Type-RA?
Old 13 October 2006, 11:22 PM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GC8
The 47D Type-RA was the cheapest Impreza in the range! Perhaps you mean which is better; WRX STI Type-R or WRX STI Type-RA?

Yeah I think so pal, I know its got the toggle to adjust the diff etc, and its a 2door on a 98".
Its on a Cat D though for a slight dig on the front wing, wing was replaced with genuine Subaru item though.
Whats the value of a Type R on a Cat D with low mileage , 98 R , and do most scooby heads frown on Cat D`s even if they are mint examples
Old 13 October 2006, 11:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Depends on who repaired it and how well it was done.
If there is a full report then I dont see a problem, though the price should reflect that the car is a cat d.

Tony
Old 13 October 2006, 11:46 PM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Depends on who repaired it and how well it was done.
If there is a full report then I dont see a problem, though the price should reflect that the car is a cat d.

Tony

I value my M3 at about 5.5 -6 k Tony, think its a fair deal or not, Subaru realy is one of the better ones mind
Old 14 October 2006, 12:01 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You wont be disappointed, get the car checked out by a speciallist, if the owner has nothing to hide he/she wont stand in your way

Tony
Old 14 October 2006, 12:16 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
Yeah I think so pal, I know its got the toggle to adjust the diff etc, and its a 2door on a 98".
Its on a Cat D though for a slight dig on the front wing, wing was replaced with genuine Subaru item though.
Whats the value of a Type R on a Cat D with low mileage , 98 R , and do most scooby heads frown on Cat D`s even if they are mint examples
Wo-hoooaaahhh, stop right there for a second.

Cat D (or c,b,a etc.) aren't given to cars with 'slight ding's on front wings. A cat D is a WRITE off. Now in some cases this is fine if all repairs have been done well etc. (get receipts of repairs etc.) but cars (apart from old bangers) are NOT written off for minor/slight damage. The cost to fix would have been at least half the value of the car. Get your facts then make your mind up whether you're getting a good deal or not. If you're looking at a car that was worth, say, £10k WHEN it was smashed, it means at least £5,000 worth of damage was done for it to be written off, probably close to £7,000/£8,000 or more.

Last edited by Dracoro; 14 October 2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 14 October 2006, 10:00 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I crashed a works van a few years back, an M plate 1.7 Astra Van to be precise (non-turbo too) and even though the repair bill was almost the same as the vans' value they didn't write it off.

Apparently it was worth £10,500 and the repairs cost £9000.

Sorry to deviate, thought I'd share that. Anyway it backs up a previous point - Cat D for a slight ding, I think not.
Old 14 October 2006, 10:08 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

It might only be a possibility but if the car was stolen and recovered damaged the insurance co. may have paid out before the car was recovered and as such it could be cat "d" and sustained little damage.
You need to find out the circumstances of the claim.
Check carefully before any deals are done as you wont be able to change your mind later.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:09 AM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

A Cat D car need not necessarily have terrible damage, particularly if it is an import.

As well as physical damage, the insurance company must consider storage costs, courtesy car costs (if you have fully comp), admin costs etc...

If (for example) a type-r came in with a slight front end knock that needed a new bonnet, it may be a while before a suitable aluminium one could be sourced, which might mean it would have to be stored for a while. Similarly, if a slight rear end accident meant that original STI lamps be found the same thing might happen. Of course, parts are not that hard to find these days, but you get the idea.....

Elises are notorious for this type of thing. There are stories (apocryphal maybe) of cars being written off because in the very early days the factory couldn't produce enough clamshells, or even wing mirrors to build up a decent level of stock, so cars were simply unable to be repaired in a financially viable timescale!
Old 14 October 2006, 11:12 AM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Thanks lads, I will get an HPI report done and look through the history of the car, but lets say it was just minor damage would the car be worth 5-6k?
I personally think it looks straight but it may be nice but if its only worth 4-5k then Im handing the M3 over for that price when i know its worth more.
Old 14 October 2006, 12:43 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Wo-hoooaaahhh, stop right there for a second.

Cat D (or c,b,a etc.) aren't given to cars with 'slight ding's on front wings. A cat D is a WRITE off. Now in some cases this is fine if all repairs have been done well etc. (get receipts of repairs etc.) but cars (apart from old bangers) are NOT written off for minor/slight damage. The cost to fix would have been at least half the value of the car. Get your facts then make your mind up whether you're getting a good deal or not. If you're looking at a car that was worth, say, £10k WHEN it was smashed, it means at least £5,000 worth of damage was done for it to be written off, probably close to £7,000/£8,000 or more.
what rubbish
a simple part on back order can mean a car not being repaired..and sold on as cat d
some are written off for next to nowt mate.

regards car get it checked out by someone usually value 20per cent less than a non recorded damaged car if repaired correctly
Old 14 October 2006, 01:08 PM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Thanks mate, thats what I was after realy TBH, I mean from what I gather from looking here and on the trader is that these are worth between 7-8k , so I guess Im near enough to a decent price of this scoob at 5-6k
Old 14 October 2006, 01:21 PM
blueburble
Scooby Regular

Don't understand why you want to settle for a CAT "D" with all the unknowns when there are Loads of legit very nice straight cars about, it's also a buyers market right now with scoobs, take a look on ; PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters at the last count there were 265 scoobs for sale, remember 2K saved now may well cost you loads more ?? Never buy without History and My choice would be the type R
Old 14 October 2006, 01:27 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

I just sold a STi V3 Type "R" on 96(P) plate for £8k in the last few weeks, not easy but did sell, nice car subtle mods, very clean, no faults, low miles.
So if you could get around that figure would it be a good deal regards your M3 ?
Old 14 October 2006, 02:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasemac
what rubbish
a simple part on back order can mean a car not being repaired..and sold on as cat d
some are written off for next to nowt mate.
Im glad that you said that Jase. Theres so much bollocks talked here about ABI categories.

The whole category system is virtually useless because its completely subjective. Ive seen totally slaughtered 911s covered in purple dye (for those who know that that implies) sold by insurers as CatC salvage alongside a good honest repariable 968 with a destruction order (CatB) on it.....

Simon
Old 14 October 2006, 05:42 PM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
I just sold a STi V3 Type "R" on 96(P) plate for £8k in the last few weeks, not easy but did sell, nice car subtle mods, very clean, no faults, low miles.
So if you could get around that figure would it be a good deal regards your M3 ?

TBH I would rather swap the M3 rather then sell it , cause when I sold my Cossie I had sooo many time wasters it was un real , plus its a Dakar Yellow one which I think is the best colour but others will disagree.
Having said that if I got a cash sale for the M I would be looking for a very special scoob