Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 01:22 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've noticed since having my full zorst done that theres a smell of burning oil, theres no visual sign of it burning i.e blue smoke

I've had my full system done for about 4 wks now, so it should be fully coked up. Its definately more noticeable from cold.
Im sometimes getting a whiff of it inside the car aswell.

I've checked the oil, that dont seem to of moved.

I just dont know whats causing this dodgy smell.

I realise with it decatted now theres going to more emissions coming out, but why the oil smell.

Help would be appreciated and to un-nerve me.

Thanks
SCOBY
Old 18 November 2001, 06:37 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Is the smell coming from the engine bay - I had this problem, and it turbed out to be nothing more than a rocker gasket cover need replacing (cheap!)

There are 2 - one on each side of the engine bay. Mine went on the driver's side.

The smell came from oil dropping onto the exhaust......

Hope it's something as trivial as this.....

Dan
Old 18 November 2001, 08:37 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi mate

How many miles has the car done? Mine developed a horrible whiff after its 37.5K service. I assumed that a bit of excess engine oil had found its way onto the exhaust somewhere, expecting it to disappear after a few miles but no way. It stayed there for a couple of thousand miles and the stink was unbelieveable! Smelt more like gear oil or grease. The dealer acknowledged the stench but never got to the bottom of it. Cleared itself evenutually.

Cheers
Kav