What would you do if your car

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2006, 02:34 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What would you do if your car

had been involved in a smash?

Just noticed at the front left arch under the sideskirt it is out of shape.
HAd trouble removing the skirt and on closer inspection the panels are out of line

Ive had the car since January and I asked if it had been in a smash and the garage said no.
So where do I stand, can I go back to them and say fix or I want my money back or i'll tell on you?
Couldnt they just deny all knowledge of it being repaired, but what kind of garage would they be if they hadn't noticed that?
Old 05 October 2006, 02:46 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

This can be a complicated area, did you HPi the car when you bought it? if not have you done so now? If its not on the HPi register that might be more complicated, but if it is/was the garage has to tell you if asked.
If it is and they told you it is not then you can get "trading standards" to intervene on your behalf to get this sorted.
If it is not then the garage still has to make reasonable efforts to ensure the car is "as described" and not damaged so if it was obvious then they (and you) should have seen it and if you bought it aware of this you have limited rights.
The reasonable efforts does not include removing panels bodywork etc. to check for hidden damage so if it was not obvious they may try to use that as an excuse not to do anything about it.
So to sum up register or not most quality garages will try to help a customer if possible (well we would) and that might be your first stop to try and resolve this. If it is on the register and they told you it was not then they have no choice they have to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. HTH.
Old 05 October 2006, 02:53 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

I will go take a couple of pictures.

I did the standard checks, but this is underneath and behind the skirt!

10 mins and i'll have pics up to give you more of an idea, it may just be nothing!
Old 05 October 2006, 03:04 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

I think I have a similar problem, rear bumper isn't mounted properly and rubs on the boot lid.

I'm probably in a different position to you, as I bought privately and it's my own fault, but it pulls up in a straight line and doesn't track or behave differently turning left or right, so I'm inclined to try and ignor it.

Would be surprised if the garage would do anything for you unless you had something in writing from them.

Sorry to hear about this - hope you get a positive out come though.
Old 05 October 2006, 03:07 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
I think I have a similar problem, rear bumper isn't mounted properly and rubs on the boot lid.
you sure its not just a case of adjusting the latch on the boot so it doesnt pull the boot down as far??

I adjusted my boot to stop a leak, which it done great, but it then rubbed on the bumper. I had to re-adjust to lift it slightly, and still fix my leak!
Old 05 October 2006, 03:12 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Think the delay would be a major problem here unfortunately.
Old 05 October 2006, 03:18 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

oh and when i posted pics somebody said looks like my car has been rear ended :-( think we all have something on our cars were not 100% aware of...

thats what you get with 2nd hand cars!
Old 05 October 2006, 03:25 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
If its a classic shape Impreza. If the rear bumper has had pressure on it, the top section of inner bumper tends to bow upwards. Seeing the outer section mounts to this, it also bows upwards and catches the boot lid.

Simple fix, can even go under the car and pull the bowed section back down by hand without removing the bumper, its only thin metal so easily bent with the slightest of pressure.
Old 05 October 2006, 03:31 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

I can't get my USB to work, stupid xp-64. No drivers for it.

I will go my m8s house later and see if he will e-mail them to me