oil cooler or fmic

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2006, 07:34 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler or fmic

asa title says really

just working out peoples opinions. i am not too sure which to go for either a oil cooler for £250-£300 or go the full and get a fmic for best part of £1000.

would a oil coller be a good option to go for i dont really hammer my car not really used for long drives but my oil temp reaches 180f if sat in traffic just thought maybe an oil cooler would help to keep this down so in turn have lower pressure and safer on the engine.

as for the fmic i know this sounds silly but not too sure if i really need to take it that far as i have no intention to track my car, and if i am honest not too sure what the main gains are if i am honest if its to keep the water cooler then my dash dial never goes over half way, so what is the point

pelase point me in the right direction what is the answer

thanks

steve
Old 29 September 2006, 08:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on your mods, if lightly modded or not at all modded then the oil cooler, if heavily modded then both the oil cooler AND the fmic.
(model/year and mods would help )

Tony
Old 29 September 2006, 08:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

One doesnt preclude the other... Ive seen an oil cooler mounted where the old TMIC was sited; its an interesting idea and youll get a useful extra capacity too, but htf do you change the oil?
Old 29 September 2006, 09:22 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Depends on your mods, if lightly modded or not at all modded then the oil cooler, if heavily modded then both the oil cooler AND the fmic.

Tony
forgive my ignorance but why would you want a mod that ensures that the engine takes even longer to reach safe operating temps, + if litte modification has taken place, is the engine going to be running at such levels that the oil requires further cooling.

Not a criticism, just a question after all I have a lot to learn like many others!
Old 29 September 2006, 09:42 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

180°F is about 82°C, that is not hot in my opinion..
Old 29 September 2006, 09:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

An oil cooler doesnt cause the engine to take longer to reach its operating temperature. With regards to why fitting an oil cooler is such an important job: fit a decent oil temperature gauge (a novelty I know, when most people want to fit a pointless boost gauge) and see just how hot your lubricant is after driving the car in a spirited manner..... Engine oil is responsible for lubricating the engine and carrying out much of the cooling. Itd be a grave mistake to foolishly believe that the OEM water temperature / cylinder-head temperature gauge showed you what was actually happening. When youve done this youll be posting again asking where to buy Aeroquippe hosing...

Simon
Old 29 September 2006, 10:28 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i my peak oil temp is 96°C

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2006, 10:47 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
see just how hot your lubricant is after driving the car in a spirited manner.....
oil temp off the gauge chasing a couple of evo's (they were on slicks, mind, or I'd have had 'em) at Cadwell today. scary sh it.

note to self- need oil cooler and oil temp gauge with warning light, buzzer, spike that sticks in your eye.....

however it is a track car. an oil cooler won't do you much good in traffic- it really needs air flowing through it.
Old 29 September 2006, 10:50 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i my peak oil temp is 96°C
peak of over 138C (280+f, where it fell off the gauge) today, which, although the oil may still be stable, is probs far too hot..... time will tell.
Old 29 September 2006, 10:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

In a comp car Id go for one large ultra bright warning lamp connected to the oil and water overheat sensors and the (high-20psi) oil pressure switch. Back-off immediately that you see it and read the needles; youll usually have time to save the engine. Which car was that in?

Simon
Old 29 September 2006, 11:02 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

STi4 2.5. Should have known better, not short of experience (just sense it seems), red mist etc....

I'm really shocked by how quick the temp comes up now I've gone to an RA gearset- poss not my best ever decision....
Old 29 September 2006, 11:05 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Oil temperatures always seem to rise in a non-linear way in my experience.
Old 29 September 2006, 11:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

One minute it was sensible, next minute I thought the gauge was broken, backed off, came down very quickly.
Old 29 September 2006, 11:43 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

What's 180degF in English? Knock off 32 divide by 5/8 isn't? Oh what the hell. If he can't bothered to post in English why bother?
Old 29 September 2006, 11:53 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
I have both fitted to my slightly modded UK MY97 Classic
Old 30 September 2006, 12:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I just have the standard front mounted oil cooler on my car :P not too bothered about a FMIC, even upto 360+bhp the TMIC is more than capable of handling the heat

Tony
Old 30 September 2006, 12:50 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got any pictures of a top mound oil cooler ????? i had considered using the space for something too.

minty.
Old 30 September 2006, 12:58 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive seen a picture somewhere... Its how you overcome the practical problems that interests me though.
Old 30 September 2006, 08:43 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
as for the fmic i know this sounds silly but not too sure if i really need to take it that far as i have no intention to track my car, and if i am honest not too sure what the main gains are if i am honest if its to keep the water cooler then my dash dial never goes over half way, so what is the point
From this it looks like you are thinking that a front mount will act like a larger radiator that cools the engine water

The Intercooler cools the air that has been through the turbo before it goes through the induction system. This reduces the charge temperature, which presumeably may also have a small effect on water temperature, but is more important in keeping your engine alive as high charge temps aren't good....

From what I rembember the std top mount intercooler starts to run out effeciency at around 350bhp, so if you are planning no mods to your engine I don't know if you would see much benefit - others here that know lots more than me should be able to answer that!!
Old 30 September 2006, 09:16 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Nido, new age STI ones are good for 400bhp, the down side to a TMIC is that when stationary they get heat soaked, the up side on an impreza is that they dont get as much damage as a FMIC and are close to the turbo which as you know is at the back of the engine, reducing lag.
When (or if) subaru build a flat 4 with a front mounted turbocharger then we will see fmic's fitted as standard

Tony
Old 30 September 2006, 09:42 AM
A5HYV
Scooby Newbie

Default Top Mount Oil Cooler

Originally Posted by minty
Has anyone got any pictures of a top mound oil cooler ????? i had considered using the space for something too.

minty.
Have a look at the website link and click on project car and you will see Storm has a Top Mount Oil cooler Fitted to the car. Its a Remote Kit with moves the original Oil Filter position to allow extra ground clearance and ease of changing filter.

http://www.stormmotorsport.co.uk/index2.asp?w=1024

Thanks

ashyv
Old 30 September 2006, 11:18 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Surely you would need an uprated oil pump to chuck the oil all the way up there to cool it though wouldnt you ?? it's what i was thinking though.
Old 30 September 2006, 01:27 PM
A5HYV
Scooby Newbie

The vehicle does have a Uprated Oil Pump which is a Roger Clark item. However it only has a modified release valve which are common to get stuck open on original pumps giving very low pressure.

Subarus on Idle with good oil run 3-4 bar and can increase upto 6+ bar under full throttle so pressure is not a problem at all.

You do have to use extra oil than standard as the cooler increases oil capacity by around a litre. Otherwise it works really well without any major disadvantages.

However it is better to tilt the cooler into the vent to aid cooling or you could use a air splitter like on this car to direct air through the cooler.

ashyv
Old 30 September 2006, 05:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by A5HYV
You do have to use extra oil than standard as the cooler increases oil capacity by around a litre. Otherwise it works really well without any major disadvantages.
My JDM STi has a factory fitted oil cooler, it uses the same ammount of oil as any other STi, no extra is needed 4.5ltrs.

Tony
Old 14 November 2006, 08:31 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

so really both would be a good idea but if one was to be fitted it would be a fmic.

any ideas on which make to get are the hks models actualy better or is a third party make as good?

anyone point me in the right direction to a supplier

thanks

steve
Old 14 November 2006, 11:03 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly fit an oil temperature guage to determine if you actually need an oil cooler. Chances are you don't need an oil cooler, certainly during Winter.
A good quality FMIC should cost no more than £400 and a further £200 max fitted.