Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2006, 06:35 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new owner

Hey there everybody,

Been car shopping today looking at a couple of STI's, and going for a test drive tomorrow afternoon in one that looks really likely to be my next car.

Its a 2003 (03 plate) STI with PPP and 32000 on the clock. Inside look pretty good, smell and look is very clean. A couple of scratchs on the outside that would need to be sorted but get that on any car after a few years.

Something that I did notice was the wheels were doing what my alloy wheels are doing now but now where near as bad as mine now. The paint starts to get bubbles underneath and the paint cracks and starts to come off. At the moment it was just on one wheel but over the next 12 months this could get worse. Is this a common thing on most wheels or something? I am hoping to talk to the dealer about doing something about them even if I pay towards new wheels and tyres (since it needs 2 tyres anyway), as I do expect alloy wheels to last more than a couple of years (not happy seeing mine do the same).

Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for on a 3 year old?

Am really looking forward to a drive and possible ownership.

Cheers,
Anderoo
Old 24 September 2006, 07:16 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

When I bought my WRX 2 of the alloys were quite badly curbed, I mentioned this to the dealer and he said it would be sorted. True to his word he had someone out and they look like new! (I'd like to know how he did it, i'm quite good at spotting blemishes but these look like new!) Only risk is if you say you want it fixing, he might say 'well fix yours too then'. If he does then just look somewhere else. Loads of 3 year old Scoobs out there.

Post pics up if you do get it and welcome to the gang
Old 24 September 2006, 07:22 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear suspension knocks and creaks always worth listening out for on that age of car, i've got the same car and had it done twice under warranty
Old 24 September 2006, 07:49 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Being an owner of an MY03 STI PPP i can highly recommend them
Rear shockers will almost certainly need replacing if not already done so.
At that age and mileage an expensive service is due which can cost anywhere between 300-400 quid With a bit of luck it might have already been done
Apart from that i have nothing negative to report.
Nik.
Old 24 September 2006, 09:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the alloys the aftermarket Prodrive ones or the standard subaru ones?

Tony
Old 25 September 2006, 10:32 AM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys, I will certain enquire about any recent services or upcoming services and keep an eye/ear out on the shocks.

As for the wheels, I think they are standard Subaru ones. And quite rightly they could ask me to fix mine. To be fair I don't mind paying for re-conditioning as it is easier to get it done before I pick up a car. Finding somebody to do it or sending off the odd wheel when you need your car is always a bit of a problem.

Looking forward to this afternoon. You know its bad you take along proof of address etc just in case.
Old 25 September 2006, 11:05 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Good luck. But like what has been said previously, there's plenty of this age STi's around, so if you don't get the right deal or feel there's something that can be better, walk away.
Old 25 September 2006, 07:49 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

Well I got a good deal, on my part exchange and they will fix the bits and bobs identified. Looking to pick up on Friday afternoon so a great weekend coming up! Just could not say no to the performance...which was just mind blowing...and that noise...oh what a noise!

Unfortunatley insurance companies really are a pain. They managed to grasp the fact it was a STI but when I told them it had a Prodrive Pack the blank look gasp I got down the phone...I knew it was going to be a long call. Hopefully he got his % power increase and won't be any problems with that side of it. But what was funny was..."oh you need a tracker", yes it has got one of them, come as standard on this model! "does it?".....dear me how long have you been insuring these cars for? *sigh* So now I have to get the dealer to fax a copy of the certificate over to them.

I look forward to renewal and talking to somebody who understands modifications. Will get myself a A-Plan quote when the time is right.

But nothing can over shadow my new toy. Will put a couple of pictures up hopefully over the weekend.