Sponsored by:

Origin B2

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 12:47 AM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Origin B2

Ok folks in 2 minds wether to buy this peace of kit or not so need some input as to whether its worth the £269 and whats the subscription for it like money wise and instalation ------- unless theres some kind hearted person in the Livingston area wanna give us a hand install it LOL ?

Pongo555
Old 21 September 2006, 10:16 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I've got one and I think it's great
Old 21 September 2006, 11:00 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't be without mine, love it, hasn't let me down yet after 20,000 miles using it all over the UK!
Old 21 September 2006, 01:13 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Had mine nearly 3 years and it's still excellent. I haven't looked at what else is available since, so it may be a bit outdated, but it still does the job very well. Subs : was first 6 months free, then £50 per year.
Old 21 September 2006, 09:56 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Is it easy to fit then ?

Pongo555
Old 21 September 2006, 10:03 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

brought mine when i got my scooby.fitted it myself easy just run wires under interior trim
Old 21 September 2006, 10:12 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Also had mine for about three years, and is highly recommended. If I was buying one now though I would consider the RoadPilot MicroGo, a very neat unit with the option to change the display colour, should be about £175.

All these units are very easy to fit.

Allan
Old 21 September 2006, 11:54 PM
Zebedy
Scooby Regular

I have one aswell that came with my car.

Really good that it knows what side the cameras are on but no so good as it does not have mobile sites
Old 22 September 2006, 09:22 AM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Yep Ive got one in mine that came with the car, gives you the confidence out there on the road, does anyone have a copy of the operating instructions as I dont have any at all, or know where I can get a set from ?????

Russ
Old 22 September 2006, 09:37 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

For that cost get a Tomtom (either software or the unit). I have had a Origin B2, etc and although good the Tomtom for same cost is so much better why?

You have navigation, (point's of interest - nearest Shell petrol station, cash machine, Speed cameras, congestion zones, Subaru dealer, etc even user submitted ones.) Updates? easy go (I think its gpssoftware (can't remember) ) and it costs about $2 to update for a month so just update every couple of months. Only disadvantage is they don't have the portable radar pickups but things like LRC920's take care of that. You also have traffic updates, ipod integration, txt message reading, mobile phone bluetooth integration, etc (depending on the model you buy), European, world maps, so take the Tomtom with you for your hired car abroad!!!!

Last edited by reano; 22 September 2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:49 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
For that cost get a Tomtom (either software or the unit). I have had a Origin B2, etc and although good the Tomtom for same cost is so much better why?
Sorry mate, don't agree.

I have used a TomTom 700 with camera locations etc. when I drove to and around Scotland for a week (1400miles) and had my Origin on the dash as well, the tomtom was no where near as accurate and quite alot of cameras were missing aswell. (I updated the file just before I left so it was as up to date as I could find).

The origin gives so much more info about the camera and the road, including speed limit etc. The origin is designed to do one thing and that is supply camera information, something it does very well, I didn't feel as confident with the TomTom camera info. It isn't only the TomTom either, I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and I have switched the camera info off as the origin is far superior.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Old 22 September 2006, 11:24 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> does anyone have a copy of the operating instructions

Go to the Origin B2 website. Manuals are available for download in the members section. You need to register but it's only email address and serial number.
Old 22 September 2006, 04:03 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Sorry mate, don't agree.

I have used a TomTom 700 with camera locations etc. when I drove to and around Scotland for a week (1400miles) and had my Origin on the dash as well, the tomtom was no where near as accurate and quite alot of cameras were missing aswell. (I updated the file just before I left so it was as up to date as I could find).

The origin gives so much more info about the camera and the road, including speed limit etc. The origin is designed to do one thing and that is supply camera information, something it does very well, I didn't feel as confident with the TomTom camera info. It isn't only the TomTom either, I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and I have switched the camera info off as the origin is far superior.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Strange I don't doubt you but I use the 10 versions e.g. 310 and 910 as well as the same for phone. When you download the cameras which are updated from pocketgps. You can select how you want to group them e.g. they will tell you speed the cameras will detect, e.g. 40mph in big red flashes up on the screen you can select direction, type of cameras to detect, even right down to the noise the warning makes and for me as a person that travels up and down the country have had no issues at all can even download congestion, red light zones, blackspots, toll roads, etc that I want to avoid and I can link this all with traffic updates 'live' for the same cost (and Ive used both) I find the Tomtom much more superior plus if legislation kicks in to out law speed camera detectors I will be able to get away with using the Tom Tom but not B2 as that is all it's designed for.
Old 22 September 2006, 04:08 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, I guess I didn't give the TomTom enough of a chance/didn't set it up properly.

I didn't think they could ban the GPS type detectors like the Origin though because it is essentially just a GPS device that highlights waypoints in the same way the TomTom does when it comes across a camera. I read that it was only radar and laser type detectors that were to be banned. I suppose we will find out in the fullness of time!
Old 22 September 2006, 05:26 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Correct, the proposed legislation will not outlaw GPS based systems just laser and radar detectors. The GPS systems are not cameras detectors but camera location advisors.

Some of the hybrids like road angel which are primarily GPS based but have built in laser "detectors" will be caught unless you disable the laser bit. Origin has an external laser detector which you will just unplug. That bit's no loss though as by the time you've detected the laser you're booked.

I've got an Origin and a Garmin navigator and I'm another one of the two devices each dedicated to it's intended purpose people. I like them both and wouldn't change either.