Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member and some advice.......

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 04:35 PM
scaramonger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and some advice.......

.....on tyres. I know it's covered extensively elsewhere, I've had a good scan through the posts already!

Firstly Hi, I find myself the proud owner of an immaculate 02 bugeye wrx, completely standard wto the Morrette headlamp conversion, FSH 40k on the clock, bought from a friend who has looked after it from new. Waited years for this, and have finally taken the plunge
Anyways, the only thing that requires to be done on the car is tyre replacement. The set has done 20k miles, the rears are near slick on the inside edges, and the fronts have probably only a thousand or so left on them. Looking through the posts, lots of discussion on tyre changes. I'm going to stick with the BS Potenzas but what I would like to do is buy the rears first then fronts maybe next month (funds issue really).
I note all the fragmented discussion on whether running two new and two worn tyres is adviseable, but no one ever seems to agree
What is the technical reason for having to change all four simultaneously. Stress on the centre diff seems to be mentioned quite a lot. I can see that having two different rolling diameters front-rear would result in the wheels having to rotate at different rpm, but there must be some tolerance here to cope with tyre wear, and surely that is partly what the centre diff is there to do?
Thanks in advance!
Old 20 September 2006, 06:17 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Off topic perhaps but do you have a third nipple? Hi by the way.
Old 20 September 2006, 06:21 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Off topic perhaps but do you have a third nipple? Hi by the way.
I don't know but SCARAMANGA did!!!
dave
Old 20 September 2006, 06:25 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by misty
I don't know but SCARAMANGA did!!!
dave
Therein lies my reason for asking, is it a spelling mistake or should it be 'scaremonger' which is still spelt incorrectly.