Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2006, 01:41 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 STI Trackstar

Afternoon All...

Have a 2 week old MY06 STI PPP.

Trackstar have tried and failed (so it seems) twice to 'download' the Safespeed option - that’s after I have paid almost £100. Each time its failed they have said 'oh it must be because your car has been stationary for 6 hours and the device has gone to sleep' .. WTF . The fact is it has not been stationary that long in the day but it is at night - then told thats when the download occurs -

Anyone else got this working on a MY06? I am beginning to wonder if the Tracker is even working now? CS are closed until Monday grrrrr...

Mark
Old 16 September 2006, 03:43 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Funny that I actually spoke to Trackstar myself to clarify some points especially the one about the system sleeping, the information I was given by a rather helpful assistant was:

The system is always on so to speak if the car is moved without the keys it will fire up and send a signal straight away their is no warm up period, she did say if you leave the car for a long period like holidays or if you go on a ferry contact them so they know {to avoid false alarms} & if the car is stolen with keys you need to get the crime number then contact them as they couldn't tell if the car is stolen or not until you do then they can work on recovering it with the police.

Now that goes for the tracker side, however I wonder if the sleep bit is to do with the satnav side? not sure although I am not overly convinced on the safe speed system, it seems to be quite selective about what it beeps at and warnings it gives? I have only been testing it today after picking up my car so will have to wait and see.
Old 16 September 2006, 07:31 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Not sure if they changed the unit on the MY06 but on the MY04 it is a trackstar and not a trackstar plus. You need trackstar plus for safespeed. They are so completely useless as a company I suspect they haven't realised that the unit can't be upgraded.

In terms of the other points

1) You don't need to inform them of oversea travel as Subaru only pay for UK cover. Trackstar won't alert if the car leaves UK shores ( a ferry across a river or something in the UK should alarm)
2) The GPS sensor is always activate so the unit will generate an alarm. However, after 6 hours it powers down it's GSM connection to save power so it can't be "pinged" by trackstar for a location.
Old 16 September 2006, 08:53 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Get you car "pinged" every month. I had mine tested about and twice required an engineer to replace a part as it didn't work.

Steve
Old 16 September 2006, 09:01 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for replys so far.....

Bluepolarbear - that is an interesting point. However the paper work I got with the car seemed to suggest that the speed function was ready and waiting to be used? Also I would have thought that Trackstar would have told me if my unit was not able to provide the speed camera function ....

However as others have suggested I do think that Trackstar are a bit naff - In would not have bought the tracker if it have not been supplied with the car...

Mark
Old 16 September 2006, 10:57 PM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

When my free trial ran out I renewed for a further year and had the same problem. It won't download the new instructions until you request a route from the satnav option.
Old 17 September 2006, 07:11 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CowbitSpecD
When my free trial ran out I renewed for a further year and had the same problem. It won't download the new instructions until you request a route from the satnav option.
Hmmm thanks - and that will be difficult because I do not have sat nav installed - its just the simple tracker with safespeed (so I am told)...

Thinking about this a bit more ...... if the tracker unit can be placed in one of '48' places around the car then how does this safespeed option work if, for example, the unit was placed in the boot? It would presumably need some wiring into the speaker system of the car, or, a separate speaker in the dash board (so you could hear the speed camera warning?).....

On the other hand the letter which came with the new car (from Trackstar) seems to suggest that the unit is 'integrated into the cars alarm system' which might suggest the install is different from the after market install? If that is the case I can understand how safespeed might work 'out of the box after download'...

and download ...hmmmm That does not sound like something you can do with the bog standard tracker in anycase. I thought the basic unit could only 'shout out' and not 'take instructions' ...... lots of questions I guess for Monday ...

Mark
Old 17 September 2006, 08:57 AM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

Sorry, my fault. Getting confused between Trackstar and Smartnav. Disregard everthing.....
Old 17 September 2006, 12:59 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
Thanks all for replys so far.....

Bluepolarbear - that is an interesting point. However the paper work I got with the car seemed to suggest that the speed function was ready and waiting to be used? Also I would have thought that Trackstar would have told me if my unit was not able to provide the speed camera function ....

However as others have suggested I do think that Trackstar are a bit naff - In would not have bought the tracker if it have not been supplied with the car...

Mark
You would have thought so

Like a say unless Subaru have been fitting a different unit, on the MY05 / MY06 then it will not do safespeed. On my MY04 I too went quite a way into the process before being told that they couldn't deliver. They offered me 3 months free at the end of the 12months - but failed to do this either.

You need Trackstar+ not Trackstar to get safespeed. You can not buy Trackstar but it is offered to manufactures. It only contains the "main" unit and doesn't include any speakers / buttons and other stuff in the dash required to take the optional services of Trackstar+
Old 17 September 2006, 01:26 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Ok Blue ....

Thanks for that - i'm gonna let rip on Monday ....grrrr grrr grrr...

Mark

edited to add ... hmmmm looking at the main RAC Trackstar site is does appear that 'Trackstar plus' is the only product now available?

Final edit .... found this in the terms and conditions on the Trackstar website:

6. Safe Speed Service
6.1 The Safe Speed Service is available to Subscribers who have paid for this additional service and who have the supplied speaker fitted in their Vehicle. Users of the Vehicle remain at all times responsible for observing all relevant laws
and codes of safe driving and Trackstar will not in any event be liable for any fine, penalty, or punishment issued to any user of the Vehicle.

Hmmm supplied speaker fitted. Does that imply I wonder if the supplied speaker is not always fitted? This sounds like the issue with my car.

Last edited by markmarkymark; 17 September 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 18 September 2006, 11:37 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Default Ok Peeps - here is the latest ......

Phoned Trackstar - they checked the unit out, all is working OK on the tracking front.

The unit installed into new MY06 STI's does have the Trackstar plus function .... but for some reason () the speaker is not installed as standard ????

...which means the download would have worked - but I can not hear the warnings.

They have suggested I get my dealer to talk to them direct and see if a speaker can be installed. I will give everyone one chance to sort this out or will simply ask for a refund of Safespeed and leave it at that. It all seems rather odd and pointless really - why install the unit but not add the speaker?

Anyway will let you know the result.

regards

Mark
Old 18 September 2006, 08:43 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Default All is well that ends well

Well..... sure i have bored you with this story - but in the spirit of providing info for others ....

The MY06 does have the Trackstar plus system and the speaker is installed. Also the Safespeed is now working too.....

The problem ... well lets just give you the solution. The download must take place when the car has been used within the last few hours and is out in the open. The bandwidth is such that the inital download can take some time so its not good putting the car away in the garage - the download will break and it will not work.

I sat in the car and got Trackstar to test the system - rather odd .. they got the car ringing like a phone and starting talking to me (I could not answer back)... then they started the download there and then and I drove around for an hour or so (good excuse to run the car in!!!!).... All of a sudden the Safespeed started to work ....

And it works great too!

Very speed sensitive. If you are driving around 30 near a 30 Camera it will bleep quietly. If you were to do 50 (of course one never does ) it bleeps very loudly and reduces volumn as you slow down ....

rgs

Mark
Old 18 September 2006, 08:53 PM
mollymai
Scooby Regular

Mine is 6 months old presumably I can subscribe anytime? Can you keep us updated as to how good you think the system is? I was going to purchase an Angel but if it is built into the car it sounds a lot better. Let us know how you get on.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:31 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

The only problem I find, unless it's just me is that it only gives you the odd road speed warning, it does not tell you every road, whihc IMO it should as half the time you cannot tell, it does pick up most cameras, but I have noticed 2 currently that it misses, they are about 2 - 3 months old.

Unless mine needs updating as I only activated it SAt LOL.
Old 19 September 2006, 10:06 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
It all seems rather odd and pointless really - why install the unit but not add the speaker?
Perhaps to reasons

1) Peep don't want to pay for quite expensive Basic service compared to other GPS Radar dectector systems.

2) Peeps don't want Crooks find speaker then trace the Cable to the Brain they don't need any help to find it

IMHO

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 19 September 2006 at 05:53 PM. Reason: SORRY TO ALL THE BRIAN's OUT THERE MEANT "BRAIN"
Old 19 September 2006, 11:49 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2) Peeps don't want Crooks find speaker then trace the Cable to the Brian

Sorry matey FPMSL
Old 19 September 2006, 05:54 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking