ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Japanese Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2006, 08:44 PM
Wildcat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Japanese Exhaust

I've just bought my first Scooby (95) and need to change the exhaust. Apparently the existing one is Japanese as the car is imported. It is a 3 piece and I beleive I need a 2 piece. What exhaust are recommended at reasonable cost and what is remapping?

Cheers
Wildcat
Old 15 September 2006, 08:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Why do you need to change the exhaust? Your car cant be remapped; your only options are a replacement IC in the ECU or fitting an aftermarket ECU at considerable cost. Remapping isnt necessary though as the Z4 ECU in your car will run perfectly well on 99RON fuel.

Simon
Old 15 September 2006, 09:03 PM
Wildcat
Scooby Regular

I need to change it as it has a huge hole at the beginning of the 2nd section
Ta
Old 15 September 2006, 09:23 PM
Wildcat
Scooby Regular

Can I put a uk standard exhaust on to replace the jap one and what sections do I neeed to change
Cheers
Old 15 September 2006, 09:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You can. Classics have three pieces: The downpipe which includes a catalytic converter;the centre which has a resonator and the rear section which includes the main silencer. JDM cars and UK cars are similar.

Simon
Old 15 September 2006, 09:35 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a look here:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76

Scoobyworld classic exhaust options - e.g. £449 for full Ninja, £549 for full Afterburner inc a panel filter.

Blitz, 5zigen, Magnex, Hayward & Scott are also highly recommended - depends on how loud you want it!!

3 parts as GC8 said.

You don't need any cats if your car was produced before Sep 95 - no exact match on DOT register.

To properly remap your model, you would have to change ECU to Apexi which would cost about £800.

If you just change full exhaust and panel filter, with your Z4 ecu you would be looking at about 270ish bhp anyway - plenty.

Apexi might get you 300bhp.

Last edited by StiX; 15 September 2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 15 September 2006, 09:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Why do you need to change the exhaust? Your car cant be remapped; your only options are a replacement IC in the ECU or fitting an aftermarket ECU at considerable cost. Remapping isnt necessary though as the Z4 ECU in your car will run perfectly well on 99RON fuel.

Simon
does that mean my early classic jdm wrx cant be remaped either with a U8 ecu? i thought scooby clinic did remaps for all classics. am i missing something here mr simon?

andy

P.S. APOLOGIES IF A HIJACK SEEMS ON THE CARDS...
Old 15 September 2006, 11:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Missing the point Andy. The ECU cant be remapped, but it can have a replacement IC fitted into a socket (which is fitted already on UK cars, but needs to be fitted on JDM cars). Personally Id either go for an Enduring Solutions Ltd generic 'ScoobyECU' (£200) or spend just a little bit more than a custom 'ScoobyECU' costs from API/ScoobyClinic and buy an A'PEXi PowerFC.

Simon
Old 15 September 2006, 11:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Missing the point Andy. The ECU cant be remapped, but it can have a replacement IC fitted into a socket (which is fitted already on UK cars, but needs to be fitted on JDM cars). Personally Id either go for an Enduring Solutions Ltd generic 'ScoobyECU' (£200) or spend just a little bit more than a custom 'ScoobyECU' costs from API/ScoobyClinic and buy an A'PEXi PowerFC.

Simon
ah so your saying as its a jap import it has another chip inserted rather than a complete overhaul of everything else... im simple terms anyway. top of your head whats the general cost of an apexi as im not really looking for over 300bhp to be honest, just a little higher boost and more pull really. i know i dont make the most sense at times but im sure you get the jist.

andy
Old 15 September 2006, 11:20 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Andy Forrest charges about £750 to supply and map. When you add up the cost from SC it really isnt a deal more. All 1992-1996 Imprezas irrespective of their market (Japanese doemstic; UK; European) cant be remapped. These models have provision for the fitting of a replacement integrated circuit (chip). This contains new fuel/ignition/boost settings which are used by the rest of the ECU in place of the originals. UK cars have a socket already installed which is used, but most JDM cars only have provision for the socket on their PCB: this needs to be fitted by a competant electrical engineer (David Wallis will do them too and he knows what he is doing).

Simon
Old 15 September 2006, 11:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

generally its best to buy a new ecu and have that mapped specifically for your cars needs then... say i wanted a specific boost etc.
Old 15 September 2006, 11:22 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

SEEN THE APEXI ON EBAY FOR £400. + POST I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET THEM FOR £400 INC POST
KIP
Old 15 September 2006, 11:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KIPS
SEEN THE APEXI ON EBAY FOR £400. + POST I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET THEM FOR £400 INC POST
KIP
but then after buying it doesnt someone have to install it and dyno the car to your needs??? this is what blags me so much lol, electronics are my new dyslexia (no disrespect intended)

i might just go to scoobyclinic one day and say "well here she is, what do you reckon needs doing ecu wise" as they are a decent enough bunch ive heard, and not rip off merchants i hope.
Old 15 September 2006, 11:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Andy Forrest or Paul-Zen will be able to fit it and map it for a little over £250. You must buy the correct PowerFC for your car; even then dont run it out of the box or your car wont last long when the boost ramps up.....
Old 15 September 2006, 11:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

simon, im not that type of driver to be honest. very rarely get to do any "enthusiastic driving"... really just looking at getting my car in good shape for a hoped trip to the nurburg next year...

andy
Old 15 September 2006, 11:34 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Is it right theirs three differnt models for the classic do you order by year or engine
cheers kip
Old 16 September 2006, 01:42 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I mean: dont fit it and run it before it is mapped (straight out of the box). You order by year, although I was under the impression that there were only two models.

Simon
Old 16 September 2006, 01:43 AM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

nice one cheers simon
kip