Big Thanks to Everyone at Karting

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2000, 10:29 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Just like to thank Stef for organising the Karting at Daytona today and everyone who attended for making it huge fun.

Pity i dropped a bollock on my 2nd lap and got black flagged but i managed to make 5 places back up and then my team mates Shaun and Russel on the 22B.COM team did the business and got us into 3rd place.

Was great fun driving the kart on slicks in the wet, the little nipper in team 17 needs banning though, he is way too quick.

As a side note, Impreza Sport on SO2 PP's in the wet combined with some training at MIRA with Don Palmer, AWESOME, cant believe it took just 2 hours to get home.
Old 29 October 2000, 10:53 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big thanks to Stef from Team 8 - great day out despite the rain - made for an interesting blast back home.

Thanks also to 17 for getting a Black flag at end - put us back to 2nd (1st Scooby team) or 1st as it turned out to be.

RS boys still disputing it - think they were right though - anyone know outcome ?

Old 29 October 2000, 11:12 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I have the results sheet here, but there is some controversy due to a computer error, the top 2 places are in the wrong order. Rumours of a fix are greatly exagerated though Apparently one of Daytona's computer operators is to be shot at dawn !

Yes this does mean the RSOC 1st team won, and i am not going to get involved in any arguments
Old 29 October 2000, 11:27 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Damn - without my black flag for allegedly putting 4 wheels off the track things would be different. From my position I only had 3 and a half wheels off.

Next time we should have minimum weight limit, No 17 just too fast - 4 seconds faster than our fastest lap ! & that was in the dry at the start.
Old 29 October 2000, 11:44 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Stef, thanks for organising. More please. How about Buckmore Park (Chatham, Kent) or PF International (Grantham, Lincs)?

And thanks to Chris and Dave in Team 17 for letting the 'little nipper' have so much track time. Shame about the black flag at the end - it was heading for a nail-biting finish!

Hoppy, and Evan 'Hoppy Jnr' Hopkins

PS I'll get him some lead boots next time.

PPS I think I heard that the RS boys got reinstated in 1st place. Now there's honour at stake!

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 29 October 2000).]
Old 30 October 2000, 10:51 AM
ChrisB

Wink

We (Team 17) was robbed! Pleasure racing with Hoppy Jnr (awesomely quick) and Dave.

I hear the Police are investigating allegations of bribery by the RS Owners team

Great afternoon - I'd almost dried out by the time I got home at 10pm!

Thanks to the SIDC guys for organising it. In the last couple of weeks SIDC have subsidised two post event meals so my membership has now cost me £10 - top stuff!

Chris.
Old 30 October 2000, 11:03 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

ChrisB,
Next time your top driver should be made to drive blindfolded with one hand tied behind his back... He made everyone else look like they were on a trip down to the shops!
LOL
Mike R

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2000, 11:44 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Stef

Thanks for event, my Team Turtle enjoyed it a lot. I am sure we would have come 3rd if our steering wheel had not come off and put us back to 6th!

'Little nipper' in Team 17 was monster fast, made me feel very slow.

I just need to put some names to some of the faces, unfortunatley I couldn't stay for the drinks as my team members were soaked through.

F
Old 30 October 2000, 02:11 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all those kind comments about Team 17's Hoppy Jnr. It has done nothing for his modesty.

John F, he says we ought to ban those nippy little Westfields as they're way too quick, but if you'll take him round at Donington on the 12th, he'll give you a few tips!

Seriously John, he'd love a ride. See you.

The Hopsters
Old 30 October 2000, 04:22 PM
ChrisB

Cool

No need to slow Evan down, just make him race with me (Chris 'Spin-meister' B) again!

Chris.
Old 30 October 2000, 06:58 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

It looked as if a good time was had by all, despite the weather.

Lets hope it's not another 14 months until the next one!

Josh
Old 30 October 2000, 07:07 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

I dunno hoppy, apart from being bloody quick he has far too much hair for my liking. LOL

There is a minimum age of 16 to be a passenger at Donington, he is under that isnt he?

I will give him a quick run on the public roads at lunch if you like, be sensible of course but at least he will have a feel for a seriously quick car, get him dreaming of proper race cars.
Old 30 October 2000, 07:53 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Question

What I want to know is do I have a speeding ticket on the way ?

Got so excited about getting there didn't notice the 40 limit coming along Grafton St and left into Dansteed way.

So my question - were there any speed cameras along that stretch ??????
Old 30 October 2000, 07:55 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

John, thanks. He was 16 last Friday which not only means he can ride shot-gun at Dono, but MIRA will let him passenger me for a Wetter the Better day. It's great to see him getting involved with Scoobs. We gave up national kart racing last year and he really misses it (finished 3rd, but ran out of money). There are dozens of talented kids who get forced out of racing for lack of cash, while those with more money than ability get through. A season of national championship kart racing costs at least £10k, and some teams will spend four or five times that much.

Erm, John, can I have a go in the Westie, too? And while I'm on the scrounge, would you mind driving my car round for a lap or two? I'd really appreciate some sound advice on suspension (now Prodrive), strut braces, stiffer roll bars and the like.

Whatever, it'll be good to see you there.

Hoppy
Old 30 October 2000, 08:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

I know where your coming from on the motorsport costs.

I gave up driving in Rallies because the cost just got out of control, being a competitive stuborn sod did not help my bank account one bit.

It's always the way, money does buy success in motorsport unless you are very talented and very lucky. Always has been and always will be the way.

Be a pleasure to give you both a run and if you are mad enough to let me drive your car i'll happily do that too.
Old 31 October 2000, 09:28 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

John, thanks mate.

Hoppy
Old 31 October 2000, 10:19 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads, I'm glad the event went so well, especially considering the weather!
The RS boys wouldn't leave the building until they were re-instated, which I find hilarious, bless 'em.
As for the next one....watch this space.

Hoppy.
When I asked you if your son was a karter, you said 'No'. Hmmmmm...... Anyway, driving licence holders only next time! (When's he 17? )
Old 31 October 2000, 02:08 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Stef,
It wasn't that we wouldn't leave the building, it was because the race director took so long (probably hoping we would leave to save his embarrassment!)
LOL
Mike R
Old 31 October 2000, 03:37 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Stef

How about we just say no one who is featured on the back page of Daytona's news letters?

Nice driving young Hoppy!

Pete
Old 31 October 2000, 04:11 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Stef, I don't remember you asking me that! And I've certainly got no reason to mislead you. Especially as I'm rather proud of his driving. After all, where did he get it from?!

And technically, he's not a karter!. He WAS, but Sunday was the first time he's sat in a kart for over a year.

Hoppy

Old 01 November 2000, 12:46 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Stef.
Old 01 November 2000, 01:30 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

'And technically, he's not a karter!. He WAS, but Sunday was the first time he's sat in a kart for over a year.'

I wouldn't want to race Sir Steve Redgrave in a boat race now that he has retired.....

F