What will everyone do????

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2000, 09:52 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay guys (and gals).

We've all seen the piccys, alot of us have driven and posted reviews (including myself(it felt slower again after my second test drive so now I'm even more indecisive)).
And we all know the car is not as quick.......
OKAY ITS SLOW GODDAMIT THERE I SAID IT.

I'm in two minds whether to upgrade to a MY99/00 or go the hack and get a slowy....errr newy.

What is everyone going to do about the MY01 and why?

[This message has been edited by Gerg2 (edited 31 October 2000).]
Old 31 October 2000, 10:16 PM
adam _b
Scooby Newbie

I haven't driven one yet and after seeing it in the flesh I have no intention..it's a mutant car imho
As a fellow aussie I'm awaiting to see the new s15 silvia/200sx by nissan...but I'm dubious. It sounds like we're getting a dutuned version [not 184 kw] which is a let down....it still looks good in the photos though.
I even took the new 255kw hsv r8 for a spin...lots of grunt but it felt like a whale after a rex. If you look closely the thing is still just a commodore. A taxi with flares
So I guess I'm in "wait & see" mode for now.

Adam
Old 31 October 2000, 10:24 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think that when 'upgrade time' comes I'll see if I can get hold of a late STi VI. Would have preferred another new one. I wouldn't have minded an EVO6 except it sounds like a hairdryer. I suppose the next step up now I'm an AWD convert is a Porsche 911 Turbo (boxer, turbo, 4wd) so I'll have to start saving the pennies...
Old 31 October 2000, 10:27 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

As told before. I'm gonna buy one -a frog that is-. The only alternative for me is the a MY00... so, why a ugly, slow NewAge...
-safety.
-trade-in value.
-interior.
-environmental issues.
-maybe even cheaper, as i want the bags, abs, airco, 17" alloy.. these are expense extra's on the MY00.
-performance-/exhaustmods still possible.
-exclusive (maybe nobody else buys it!).
-don't mind less understeer, don't mind less feedback from holes and bumps in the road.
-bright button works on whole dash!!

So it's heavy.. yeah, because it's bigger, stiffer, safer and more solid and it has got more parts like the aircon, 17", airbas, abs. I think it's simply impossible to make it lighter given its low price.
So it's slow.. well, TBH i haven't driven one but i don't even think it's that much slower on the road. A BETTER powerband can make a car feel slower because of the missing kick in the back at 3000 rpm. The car being more quiet does make it feel slower. The improved comfort does the same. Improved handling -less understeer for instance- will make up for a part of it, so will the better chosen gear-ratio. (it's different, i hope it's better). So, with better handling and a few performancemods it not going to be a punishment behind the wheel (where it's impossible to see the headlights..)

Hate me for it...
Old 31 October 2000, 11:14 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

adam_b...and a very expensive taxi I might add. Imagine what you could do to a Rex with the change left over from a HSV car....Whats an R8 worth....60 odd?? Far too much for something that ends up full of rattles after 20,000 km.

Hunk, they are all good reasons. All the previous model Rexs in OZ came standard with ABS, airbag, aircond etc (not the alloys tho).

If I get one it'll be straight off to APS to get some more horsies.

Old 01 November 2000, 01:13 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Red face

"ABS and airbag goes together here for approx US$ 2,400,- My dealer says he sold 20 turbo prezza's, none off them with this option. Aircon is expensive too and i travel to spain regulary. Together with the alloys the new equipment cost some US$ 5k extra overhere."

Yegods!!! All that kit comes standard on the OZ MY01. It costs 46000 on road which at the moment is about US$24000. Is that approx what you would pay with all this as optional xtras Hunk??

Old 01 November 2000, 01:53 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

A MY00 with all these 'extra's' fitted costs 65k guilders, that's US$ 27.700. Including tax (42%). Funny, without taxes we have some off the cheapest cars in Europe.
No official price for the MY01 is given.

Trending Topics

Old 01 November 2000, 12:32 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

<I>Hunk, they are all good reasons. All the previous model Rexs in OZ came standard with ABS, airbag, aircond etc (not the alloys tho).</I>

ABS and airbag goes together here for approx US$ 2,400,- My dealer says he sold 20 turbo prezza's, none off them with this option. Aircon is expensive too and i travel to spain regulary. Together with the alloys the new equipment cost some US$ 5k extra overhere.