Saying hello and few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2006, 12:45 PM
de bong
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying hello and few questions

Hi all,

Just became a proud owner of a GT2(my99) for the 2nd time and I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions.

My last scooby broke my heart(and my wallet) but when she was running right it was a truely amazing car. Alot of my mates have scooby's and have never had a problem so I decided to give them another go. I got another GT2(rb5 Look-a-like),no engine mods and just under 70K on the clock with a full SSH.I have driven about 300 miles since I purchased but this morning I was a bit late for work so instead of normally leaving her warm up for a few mins I drove to work straight away making sure I did not go over 2500-3000rpm. All is fine until about 5 miles into my journey(temp guage was up to normal level) and my Check engine Light came on. I pulled over straight away. There was no unusual noises and she was ticking over perfectly. I turned her off left it for a min or so and turned back on and the CEL turned off once she was started(as normal) I continued my remaining 20 mile journey very carefully not bringing her over 3500rpm and the CEL did not come back on. My question is should I worry about this? Also it there a way I can check what generated this code without bringing it to a subaru dealer.

The only other thing to mention is the belts towards to front of the engine bay behind the radiator are beginning to make a squelling noise(especially when cold). When I go over 1500-2000rpm this goes away...Again anything to worry about?

Apart from this I could not be happier with the car....

thanks for your help
Old 04 September 2006, 01:34 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a look here for checking codes:

http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....iag%20Page.htm

The belts just need replacing, had mine done recently as they were worn and also made a racket - cost about £40.
Old 04 September 2006, 01:57 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Default So funny... had the same with my MY99 Wagon yesterday...

How bizarre! I bought a MY99 Wagon last week and took her on a blast up to Norfolk at the weekend. Was great fun, it re-awoke my love for these great cars. However on the way back, and just as I pull onto the A47 to come back home the CEL comes on.
Had me worried because I was so eager to get my hands on this beauty that I did not get it checked out properly, everything seemed to be in place and it ran superbly. I am now thinking about taking it to a Scoob main dealer to have an interim service and will mention about the CEL coming on. I am also going to try the checks on the saxonfields website which seems really useful.

FYI the light went off after I pulled over, turned the ignition off, looked under the bonnet then started off again!
Old 05 September 2006, 08:57 AM
de bong
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the info....

I have driven about 50 miles since and no sign of the CEL coming back on. Could/Would this mean that the fault is no longer there or its an intermittent problem perhaps?
Old 05 September 2006, 09:17 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Don't know. I have just remembered I had a CEL flash a while ago, forgot about it. Hasn't appeared since and that was months ago.
Old 05 September 2006, 10:47 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Default Have tried disconnecting the battery overnight....

in a hope to re-set the ECU and this has not helped at all... got the CEL after driving for about 10mins. Then it went off and didn't come back on for the rest of the 30min journey.
Have now got my baby booked into Xtreme Scoobies for the weekend so they can take a butchers and tell me the bad news
Still need to take a look at the diagnostix but have not had chance yet....by the time I get home it's dark (is it Winter already?!)

I'm assuming that disconnecting the battery for at least 12 hours will reset the ECU? Or am I wrong>?
Old 05 September 2006, 11:44 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was under the impression that disconnecting the battery for less than an hour would reset it?

Trending Topics

Old 08 September 2006, 05:42 PM
de bong
Scooby Newbie

just back from the subaru dealer...mechanic said the CEL was caused by the O2 sensor. He said it would need to be replaced at cost of about €300...I then said because the light did not come back on could this mean its not just a one-off..he said it will go sooner rather than later and it should be replaced...I then spoke to another mechanic in the dealership and he said this is sometimes caused by a dodgy plug/misfire and to wait and see....I think I will wait and see how this pans out myself rather than forking out the cash just yet...
Old 09 September 2006, 09:36 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Took mine to Xtreme Scoobies in Chelmsford and it turned out to be the Knock Sensor. £170 later and all is hunky dory again