Sponsored by:

NEW here! Hi all

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2006, 10:44 AM
jaysti8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW here! Hi all

Hi ya im jay new to scoobynet and just thought id say hello!

just got my 52reg WRX STI PPP blob eye in blue i love it coming from Ford RS's clio 172's and vx220 its a very different drive and much more power its great!

FEW silly questions just to clear up so i know so please answer if you can as it will be great help in chosing mods please!

-Is there 2 CATs on the STI? if so what one is the sports cat on the prodrive exhaust? (i want a VORTEX + de-cat centre section but still be fine for MOT! so was hoping the sports cat is the turbo downpipe?

-on the standard CD headunit has it got Sub-out's? and what size speakers are standard size for replacment? (not into hardhouse!!! just want a nice good quality sound system!)

-panel filter or cone? also

I know they might have been answer a thousand times! but if you could that would be great thank you..i hope to be at the meets im from south east Kent
Old 04 September 2006, 10:54 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the group and STi ownership!

I thought a 52 was a bug eye though?!

There's a cat pipe and a cat in the downpipe. You can remove the "centre" cat and still pass emissions. The sports cat would replace the cat in the downpipe, this will also be good for emissions.

Don't know about the stereo. Only use it to drown out the rattles or exhaust

Panel filter. Unless you're aiming for 350+bhp. I know scoobyworld was offering a free high-flow panel filter on some backboxes. I know it was Ninja, not sure about Afterburner.
(BTW, i have AB full decat)

There's a search function on the top menu bar. If you use that, you'll find pretty much everything you want to know, especially if you think it's been asked before.
Old 04 September 2006, 11:08 AM
jaysti8
Scooby Regular

gazthehat-thanks for the warm welcome! and answering the questions!

im going to go for the ninja centre decat section + Afterburner BackBox does it sound awsome compared to the prodrive box? and hoping it doesnt kill my ears tho??? il prob go for panel first then grab myself some feel power mods later! just getting used to the car first!
Old 04 September 2006, 11:17 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

If you have the Performance pack,then the sports cat is in the down pipe.Think I'm correct in saying that the centre section has a resonator box in it but no cat.

Go for a panel filter as cone filters don't bode well on this model without a re-map.

..and the Afterburner will certainly be louder than the Prodrive zorst,prolly won't annoy you,but will almost certainly p1ss your neighbours off in no time at all!

but in the name of all things Holy,please don't fit a vta dumb valve

hth
Old 04 September 2006, 11:20 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You'll find the noise increases the more exhaust parts you add and cats removed. with the centre and backbox that will give a nice rumble. I did this first.

When i went to full decat the noise levels increase three-fold (it feels). The noise now is, well, loud. If just i used to car i'd say it's perfect. It sounds SO angry on WOT (wide open throttle). But my wife uses the car the most and it's a bit too loud with the nipper in the back. Can't hear a thing in the back.

I should've gone for the resonated centre, where i believe that reduces the drone a bit, so something to consider. At about 2,800-3000 it seems the noisest, so motorways are not great. I bought a bung which made a massive difference for the long runs, but can only use off boost, due to remap.

If you replace the cats, it's wise to get it remapped. You'll get a CEL error if you replace the cats. (The remap fixes that)
Old 04 September 2006, 11:44 AM
jaysti8
Scooby Regular

thanks alot for the info i think for nowim going for the centre section and BB should sound great! i will be doing the cat one day, just looking to improve the sound and slit increase from bolt on parts my do a Eutek remap but after a few other mods first,

thanks
Old 04 September 2006, 11:59 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
hellooooooooo mate & welcome to scooby net !

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2006, 12:38 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jaysti8
thanks alot for the info i think for nowim going for the centre section and BB should sound great! i will be doing the cat one day, just looking to improve the sound and slit increase from bolt on parts my do a Eutek remap but after a few other mods first,

thanks
welcome m8! I hope I can help as I have a 03 ppp'd sti.

The std sti has 2 cats as std, one in the downpipe and a center one under the car.
When the ppp was fitted they removed the one under the car and replaced it with a decat pipe, and changed the silencer under the car for free flowing one. They also removed the downpipe cat and replaced it with a rather nice 200cel sports cat (expensive and flows as good as a decat).
The backbox was also replaced.

So you really don't need any exhaust mods because you have a ppp'd car. A remap should see an extra 30hp

Dipster
Old 04 September 2006, 01:01 PM
icklemiss
Scooby Regular

Smile Welcome

Hi Jay,

I have just got my first scooby, 52 bug eye WRX STI ppp. Blue with the classic gold wheels.

They are great fun and lovely to drive. Still getting use to mine, I had a GTI Golf before, this is so much more powerfull.

Going to change my back box as the scooby sound is there but it needs to be heard a bit more. Am going to the Alton meet this Sunday to have a look and listen to everyone elses to get an idea.

Like you, still not sure about everything to do with the car.

Happy driving.

Amy
Old 04 September 2006, 01:10 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN

Get the full decat and come MOT time there are friendly test centres out there
Old 04 September 2006, 03:40 PM
jaysti8
Scooby Regular

thanks davedipster just what i needed to know! i shall be just chaging the backbox for the vortex tho as iv been told they make a realy nice sound an increase flow,the Prodrive makes a realy nice sound tho better than i thought when i warms up its realy nice!

icklemiss-yep its great to own a STI PPP very nie cars and a step above the rest! have only owned it 2 days so still fresh! hope to get over to some meets but also going to JAPFEST at donnington park 30/09/06

i knoe removing the CAT is a realy good thing to do as i have done this with most my other cars! its just i think while iv got a 200cel already fitted il do with that for now...would Remapping the car make much difference? cos the prodrive kit has remap already??
Old 04 September 2006, 05:03 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

A remap will make about 30hp on your current ppp'd car.
Cost wise about £700 all in.
Have a look at this...the ppp'd car is pretty quick. The tsl car is a remap.

dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 04 September 2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04 September 2006, 07:42 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Hey Jay, I have a 52 JDM sti, and i'm sure yours is a bugeye and sti7 but anyways have fun, mine has a Yoshimuru(howver you spell it) decat system, k&N typhoon induction and a re-circ damp valve and pushing near enough 330bhp and i seriously need a remap but can't afford it

My point is make sure you set aside about £700 for remap as after the decat session you'd pretty seriously need it
Old 05 September 2006, 07:13 PM
jaysti8
Scooby Regular

d5hof-it defo is a blobeye! i know what a bugeye is its the round lights my one isnt,it is going to have the ninja centre section + Afterburner Vortex backbox fitted + DV + panel filter then other parts fitted like scott lowe splitter and 18" wheels ect. i wont be remap yet shouldnt need to as im not doing a full decat? keeping the prdrive 200cel cat

il get a pic, how come everyone says it cant be blobeye? did they not make one in 2002 52? well must have!! cos i got one!?
Old 05 September 2006, 07:22 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davedipster
A remap will make about 30hp on your current ppp'd car.
Cost wise about £700 all in.
Have a look at this...the ppp'd car is pretty quick. The tsl car is a remap.

dipster
What is that article from?
Old 05 September 2006, 07:30 PM
green scooby sport
Scooby Regular

welcome mate
Old 05 September 2006, 11:57 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
What is that article from?
It's from evo mag, someone on here posted the pic a while back.

dipster
Old 06 September 2006, 12:05 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome son
Old 06 September 2006, 09:44 AM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

hello and welcome
Old 06 September 2006, 10:51 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaysti8
d5hof-it defo is a blobeye! i know what a bugeye is its the round lights my one isnt,it is going to have the ninja centre section + Afterburner Vortex backbox fitted + DV + panel filter then other parts fitted like scott lowe splitter and 18" wheels ect. i wont be remap yet shouldnt need to as im not doing a full decat? keeping the prdrive 200cel cat

il get a pic, how come everyone says it cant be blobeye? did they not make one in 2002 52? well must have!! cos i got one!?
Get some pics up, as i thought the blobeye started on the 03 plate
Old 06 September 2006, 11:08 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Get some pics up, as i thought the blobeye started on the 03 plate
Blobeye started on 52 plate - about half way through, January-ish.