is it worth it??post your bugeye pics pls

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2006, 09:15 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth it??post your bugeye pics pls

I have the "Bugeye" WRX and maybe a few more horses but nothing more,

It worth going to the trouble of getting the sti (-03 shape) and paying out £3000 more for it plus a px,just to get rid of the head lights and a bit more power,when for about £1500-£2000 i could have more or less the same thing ???

Help

cheers
steve.
Old 03 September 2006, 09:17 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

In a word YES.
I did the very same thing in March and tbh the STI is a different car altogether. Saying that i have just had ppp fitted which makes it even better.
Nik.

Originally Posted by st3v3

It worth going to the trouble of getting the sti (-03 shape) and paying out £3000 more for it plus a px,just to get rid of the head lights and a bit more power,when for about £1500-£2000 i could have more or less the same thing ???

Help

cheers
steve.
Old 03 September 2006, 11:57 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

love my bugeye but wish i had gone for a STI in the begining ( not possible when i had mine)
Old 04 September 2006, 12:17 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

depends on what you want - i sold my uk300 wrx in the end for a jdm sti - completely different animal
Old 04 September 2006, 12:19 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

yes be worth it.
Old 04 September 2006, 12:24 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

don't knock modded wrx's .... had a test drive in a standard sti and it wasn't close to my modded wrx

its all down to what you want, money wise the sensible bet is to buy an STI unless you are thinking your wanting big power
Old 04 September 2006, 10:42 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
don't knock modded wrx's .... had a test drive in a standard sti and it wasn't close to my modded wrx

its all down to what you want, money wise the sensible bet is to buy an STI unless you are thinking your wanting big power
Thats a bit harsh though Rich, with all due respect, your wrx is a monster. so no standard sti will compare to that.
For me as well, i am now stuck as i have spent too much on my car, what with brakes and all and other stupid stuff. But i am still only at 270 bhp so a swap....................hmmm, LOL.

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2006, 10:57 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Help

cheers
steve.
£3k to get rid of those lights, has to be worth it

You would have to throw more than that at the WRX to get the same ride.
Old 04 September 2006, 11:46 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
lovely pic mate !!
Old 04 September 2006, 11:51 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Thats a bit harsh though Rich, with all due respect, your wrx is a monster. so no standard sti will compare to that.
For me as well, i am now stuck as i have spent too much on my car, what with brakes and all and other stupid stuff. But i am still only at 270 bhp so a swap....................hmmm, LOL.
i was still on the td04 at the time
Old 04 September 2006, 04:34 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

I prefer the head lights on mine compared to the blob's, which are simply too big IMHO.

I think it comes down to what you want to use it for.

WRX is easier to live with day to day and will give you better mpg etc (matters to some)... plus with a few straight forward mods it will have more power than a heavier standard STi.

Agree with Rich that if your going to heavily modify and uprate the car then why start with an STi when your going to be replacing pretty much everything anyway... especially true for those who intend to run 2.2, 2.33, 2.5 blocks with uprated running gear. It is nice having a wolf in sheeps clothing too btw. Only the big brakes, the fact it's lower and the exhaust give the game away on mine - not nearly as in your face as an STi.

If it's a weekend car and you only going to midly modify it then the STi is the one to go for. Stronger gear box, nice extras over the WRX and more focused etc...
Old 04 September 2006, 04:40 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I modded a Bug STI , still putting smiles on my face after 14months of ownership

STI vs WRX for modding though, the STI just has the better box and engine out the wrapper, if your replacing all its not worth the premium i suppose. Plus you get driving lamps with the WRX

Anyway pic of mine
Old 04 September 2006, 04:51 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Help

cheers
steve.
I'm considering doing the same now.Currently have an 01 bugeye (Which I've owned since new) and thinking about getting something like an 05 STi (Ideally with PPP etc)
Trouble is I've spent 10k ++ on mine so will lose a small fortune when I sell. Mine made 329bhp/330lbft on a rolling road so I have to look at whether I'd get a performance increase (Or at least similar performance) from a PPP'ed 05 STi??
Decisions decisions uh??

Old 04 September 2006, 05:05 PM
icklemiss
Scooby Regular

Default WRX STI PPP

I've just got a 52 WRX STI PPP and it is bloody brilliant.

Handles so well and is a dream to drive, power that comes out is just brill.

Would recommend to anyone to get one.

The only thing i wanna change is the back box, needs to be a bit louder.
Old 04 September 2006, 06:23 PM
bobsru
Scooby Regular

i still cant understand why people buy a "wrx" then stick all the "sti" stuff on it
Old 04 September 2006, 06:24 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Nice motors here.
Old 04 September 2006, 06:27 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobsru
i still cant understand why people buy a "wrx" then stick all the "sti" stuff on it

May be because there was no STI’s available in this country when some of us bought our cars
Old 04 September 2006, 07:35 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

I wasnt actually looking to get Big power,probably up to 300bhp max,easily obtainable on the WRX.
What im thinking that 13 month ago all i could afford was the WRX and i actually got that after doing a deal with a Focus st170.
Now i can aford to go up a year or two say to an 03-04 sti and was wondering whether it worth spending the money on that or just putting say £2500 in to my own car.
For example:
Exhaust £500 (de-cat up pipe and down pipe,have already done the center section)
Remap £600
Air filter (already have)
Rear spoiler £400 (Fitted and painted)
New head lights £450 (fitted and painted)
up-rated Fuel pump £100
Maybe sti8 Interwarmer £450 ish (IM NOT SO SURE ON THAT PRICE)
So ok im touching Proabably 275ish BHP and the car looks better for it aswell.

Last edited by st3v3; 04 September 2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04 September 2006, 07:58 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
I modded a Bug STI , still putting smiles on my face after 14months of ownership

STI vs WRX for modding though, the STI just has the better box and engine out the wrapper, if your replacing all its not worth the premium i suppose. Plus you get driving lamps with the WRX

Anyway pic of mine
UMMMMM nice lip spoiler, Scott Lowe is it and yes I want one

Wolfie.
Old 04 September 2006, 08:00 PM
bobsru
Scooby Regular

May be because there was no STI’s available in this country when some of us bought our cars

so when did you buy the car?
and that doesnt really answer the question does it, if you drive a wrx then keep it as a wrx, if you drive a sti you wouldnt remove all the trimmings to make it look like something else would you?
Old 04 September 2006, 08:09 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben v7
I prefer the head lights on mine compared to the blob's, which are simply too big IMHO.

I think it comes down to what you want to use it for.

WRX is easier to live with day to day and will give you better mpg etc (matters to some)... plus with a few straight forward mods it will have more power than a heavier standard STi.

Agree with Rich that if your going to heavily modify and uprate the car then why start with an STi when your going to be replacing pretty much everything anyway... especially true for those who intend to run 2.2, 2.33, 2.5 blocks with uprated running gear. It is nice having a wolf in sheeps clothing too btw. Only the big brakes, the fact it's lower and the exhaust give the game away on mine - not nearly as in your face as an STi.

If it's a weekend car and you only going to midly modify it then the STi is the one to go for. Stronger gear box, nice extras over the WRX and more focused etc...
I still believe that even for heavy modding, to go for the STi. You can get some decent money for the parts you take off such as the Brembo's. Also anything you leave on aint gonna be a weakness in comparison to the WRX. I bought the STi as no matter how far I went, I still had a stronger starting point.

Neil
Old 04 September 2006, 09:29 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobsru
Cause maybe folks can't afford the initial outlay on a STI over a WRX but over time they save the money and mod their car to whatever makes them happy.

Wolfie.
Old 04 September 2006, 09:57 PM
bobsru
Scooby Regular

Cause maybe folks can't afford the initial outlay on a STI over a WRX but over time they save the money and mod their car to whatever makes them happy.

Wolfie.

thats a ****e answer, i would like to mod my car to look and go like a bugatti veyron but i wont cos i would look like a fool

if you want an sti. then get one. if you want a wrx, then get one.... but dont buy something and make it look like something its not
Old 04 September 2006, 10:09 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

i had a bugeye which initially gave me a great buzz, shortly after that i had it lowered on tein springs then full exhaust etc.
after about 8 months of ownership i was still looking to modify it pricing up uprated discs + pads, fuel pump, remap, better looking alloys, sti boot spoiler, morrettes................ you get the picture.
after the suspension and exhaust my insurance rose over 30% to 780.00 which i thought was silly and any further mods would send the premium higher still so i stopped in my tracks and decided to sell it and get the daddy(sti). after all thats what i wanted my car to be really.
after a test drive in an sti blob the extra power was easily noticeable with the suspension being much firmer and i felt so much more involved.
eventually i bought a black 53 plate sti with pff7 alloys and i am very .
i have put on my exhaust taken from my bugeye and have never looked back.
the car looks, drives and sounds awesome and is a diffrent league to my old bugeye.
i have made enquiries into a remap etc and for about 800.00 outlay (already got a ppp sports d/pipe ready and waiting) could see 340/340 .
i think i have given you my opinion on your question .......and my insurance is currently about 80.00 less than my wrx
Old 04 September 2006, 10:19 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

thats a ****e answer, i would like to mod my car to look and go like a bugatti veyron but i wont cos i would look like a fool

if you want an sti. then get one. if you want a wrx, then get one.... but dont buy something and make it look like something its not[/quote]

Oh go on and make you car look like a Bugatti Veyron. I think someone is tired and has WRX envy .

Wolfie.
Old 04 September 2006, 10:55 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Cool

I brought a new sti in 2002 and it's been a fantastic car. I PPP'd it and prodrive'd the suspension at the first 1000 mile service.

http://www.sambucus.co.uk/misc/IMG_0103.JPG
http://www.sambucus.co.uk/misc/IMG_0104.JPG

In a few weeks it will be up for sale at Fox's subaru dealer in Kent as i've just brought a 3 month old STI.
Old 04 September 2006, 11:10 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres my STI, initially really disappointed with it cos it was sooooo slow in standard form.

Ive spent alot of time with Zak from Mocom racing and now she's getting there and now has a 20g fitted

Now i love it.. but it needs to be quicker still

More mods on the way

Old 04 September 2006, 11:12 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Georgeous car frayz (still no sign of these new alloys though after all the deliberation). Going to be very special once you've finished with it.
Old 04 September 2006, 11:15 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben v7
Georgeous car frayz (still no sign of these new alloys though after all the deliberation). Going to be very special once you've finished with it.
You can rush perfection mate.. dont worry i have 4 large boxes sitting next to me

Just waiting for some other bits
Old 04 September 2006, 11:37 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
UMMMMM nice lip spoiler, Scott Lowe is it and yes I want one

Wolfie.
APR Carbon Fibre Wind Splitter

Quick Reply: is it worth it??post your bugeye pics pls