ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Jerry Cans

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2000, 01:38 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Whilst in Halfords(Margate) the other day, I noticed that they had a stock of large metal jerry cans (5 gallons?) next to the usual plastic 5 litre petrol cans.....obviously anticipating a small amount of anxiety from petrol buying 'sheep' in the next fortnight!!

What is the maximum legal amount of petrol that can be stored at home? Less than a full jerry can?

Sean
Old 26 October 2000, 02:39 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

I've noticed that too, thought it was people going across the border to Southern Ireland to fill 'em up.

[This message has been edited by harryh (edited 26 October 2000).]
Old 26 October 2000, 02:45 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Is there a maximum legal amount of petrol that can be stored at home?

I know that for safety reasons they suggest that you do not do stre to much at home, and that you have to use metal cans in a car, but I had not heard anyone say that there was an actual limit on how much could be stored at home.
Old 26 October 2000, 02:47 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

I don't remember anyone mentioning this on the news during the fuel crisis. They all have examples of fires caused by overfilling cars and people storing lots of petrol at home, but apart from saying that it was dangerous they never actually said that it was illegal to store over a certain amount.
Old 26 October 2000, 02:49 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Seems like you need a license if you want to store more than 2 * 10 litres of petrol at home.

Do You Use Or Store Petrol At Home?

This leaflet offers some general advice on how to store small quantities of petrol safely, for private use in motor vehicles, lawn mowers, generators or any other internal combustion engine.

REMEMBER, Petrol is dangerous - keep away from any means of ignition and DO NOT SMOKE when using it.

How Must Petrol Be Stored?

Petrol must only be kept in approved metal or plastic containers.
METAL CONTAINERS should not exceed 10 litres capacity (2 gallons), be fitted with a secure leak-proof cap and be permanently labelled "Petroleum Spirit - Highly Flammable".
PLASTIC CONTAINERS should not exceed 5 litres in capacity and should comply with the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982. Further advice can be sought from the Trading Standards Department on this.
EMPTY CONTAINERS must be securely stoppered and kept in a safe place. They must never be repaired unless they have been rendered "vapour free".
Approved containers only must be used for the storage of petroleum.
Containers of petrol should only be stored in a well ventilated, secure, fire proof building, away from all sources of ignition e.g. fires; lights and any electrical installation such as sockets.
Containers of petrol must not be stored under stairs or near doors, especially doors which could be a means of escape should a fire occur.
Ideally, there should be a fire extinguisher of foam or dry powder type, accessible to the storage place and a bucket of dry sand available to soak up any spillage.

Do I Have To Notify Anyone?

In addition to the amount of petrol stored in the tank of any motor car/engine, you are allowed to store up to 2 x 10 litres (2 gallons) of petrol in approved metal containers, (or 1 x 10 litre metal with 2 x 5 litre in approved plastic containers).

However, the legislation controlling the storage of quantities of petrol greater than 2 x 10 litres is complex and generally a licence is required, or, in certain circumstances, only notification to the Petroleum Licensing Authority.

What If I Don't Comply?

Storage of petrol without a Licence (where one is required) or, without notifying the Department where necessary, may result in the responsible person being prosecuted.

Petroleum storage requirements can be complicated, so if you do require further advice on this matter, or would like more information regarding details contained in this leaflet, then please contact your local Trading Standards office.
Old 26 October 2000, 06:11 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Well that about answers that!

I was going to stock up just to make sure I had some for the 'Rally of Wales' should there be another blockade - but 20 litres is not going to get me very far is it!

Oh well, never mind. At least I wont be getting a bathfull like that Derby minicab driver - he caused about £300k worth of damage and I think 4 houses had to be demolished due to the vapours getting everywhere. What a T***!

Chris

Old 26 October 2000, 06:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

It's become a family joke, but I only vaguely recall it, and I don't know where from; anecdote about the appropriate Ministry issuing warning leaflets to the public about not storing petrol just after a fuel crisis of some sort (73? post war?) with the note that one gallon of petrol had the explosive power of, I think, six sticks of dynamite. Anecdote was about one chap who wrote in and asked what should he do with the 8x 56-gallon drums he had in the shed?!

BJH
Old 26 October 2000, 06:42 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Brendan Hughes:
<B>One gallon of petrol had the explosive power of, I think, six sticks of dynamite.

BJH[/quote]

COOL!

Nov 5th is'nt that far away.
Old 26 October 2000, 08:58 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy

well that means that 99.99% of people participating in motorsport are breaking the law.

The jerry cans EVERYONE buys for carrying fuel on rallies is 20 litres.

The other alternative people use in motorsport are Plastic Fuel Jugs, these come in either 11 litres or 22 litres.

Take a look in a Demon Tweeks catalogue, all of the fuel cans they sell break UK law for home use!

When we buy our ELF FIA aproved fuel it is only supplied in 50 litre barrels.

we usually have around 5 of these barrels in stock and carry 10 20 litre jerry cans for the rallies in the service van.

Me thinks the law is an ***!!
Old 29 October 2000, 06:34 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

...from the wording of the law above, my lawnmower will suddenly sprout a 50-gallon tank before the blockade starts up again..

that would be legal i think?

Owain McRae

Old 29 October 2000, 06:38 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Johnfelstead
Can I be your mate???
Old 29 October 2000, 06:40 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Owbow
Can you please move to Wem so you don't bu66er up the posting width!!

TA!
Old 29 October 2000, 07:43 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

let's try again.

Owain McRae.
Old 29 October 2000, 08:02 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good Lad
Old 30 October 2000, 01:16 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

The reasoning behind petroleum storage is simple........
store too much .....introduce stupidity..(supplied as std really!!)
a. you get bloody big fireball (No eye's etc let alone eye lashes.....if your lucky!)
b. Unlucky ....no house , or nextdoors house.(let alone garage....sob or scoob)
c. If very lucky slow burn ,and probably quite a few P****d off firefighters.

the limits are there to protect YOU not to P** you off!
On a final note Don't do what an idiot in West Yorkshire did Last time......
He filled up his wheelie bin with petrol !!
storing petrol without a licence has some very hefty fines etc. (associated with public safety).....so if you do it your new car could be ......A 2CV..SINCLAIR C5. OUCH!

[This message has been edited by BladeRnnr (edited 30 October 2000).]
Old 30 October 2000, 01:29 PM
M@TT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Perhaps the only way to store decent amounts of petrol is to buy a knackered car ready for scrap - should be able to pick one up for £20 put it in the garage and store a full tank load.

No room for the car though !
Old 30 October 2000, 03:41 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

I've acquired an ex-Army 20-litre jerry can which I want to use as a ready supply of SUL on track days/road rallies. However, it very probably contained diesel so what do I need to do to clean the inside of it so that I don't contaminate the SUL and risk damaging my engine? Does it need to be steam-cleaned, or just washed out with UL? I'd appreciate any knowledgeable thoughts.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 31 October 2000, 01:56 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Cool

HunterB
I have just brought some more ex-Army Jerry cans ready for next seasons Rallying ex army ones some of which had diesel in them

All i have done is give them a quick swill with sul and took the dregs to the tip and put in the old oil bin ! not that i am stock pilling fuel i also have some propper 4star
as well from a garage not too far from me that stocks the real macoy !!

Huxley