Sponsored by:

Radio Mast and Interference Survey

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 12:02 AM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Mast and Interference Survey

If you ever had problems with your alarm not setting and its been in the same area could it have been a radio mast or similar , apparently other scoobie drivers have this prob and it is inherent in pre2002 cars although mine is 2002 and i get it ... lets hear your stories , maybe get a free upgrade from subaru with enough names !

Old 29 August 2006, 09:09 AM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoroWRX
If you ever had problems with your alarm not setting and its been in the same area could it have been a radio mast or similar , apparently other scoobie drivers have this prob and it is inherent in pre2002 cars although mine is 2002 and i get it ... lets hear your stories , maybe get a free upgrade from subaru with enough names !

Hi,

From your description it would seem that you do not have a faulty radio key/alarm but the security system is being affected by "Radio key lockout" - An explanation of which is below:

Right here goes....
All alarm systems manufactured for use in the UK in 1999 were required to operate on the frequency of 433MHz. Subsequently, in late 2000, the government allowed the introduction of "Tetra" radio networks for telecommunication companies, the military, emergency services etc which was allocated the 420-430 bandwidths.
Although not exactly the same frequency these "Tetra" transmitters are licensed and are allowed to operate at around 20,000 watts, compared with the alarm systems 0.5 watt radio key.
As a result when you are near a transmitting "Tetra" mast you can get a degree of bleedover as their signal is so much stronger and this can swap the transmission from the radio key.
The problem is not exclusive to this system and can occur on a number of manufacturers systems produced prior to 2001, due to the same outside influance.

In 2001 the reciever boards were re-designed to focus more accurately on the 433.92MHz frequency as soon as the problem became evident, however the systems manufactured prior to this were not considered faulty and therefore were not considered for warranty. However, as a goodwill measure, customers who suffered exceptional radio lock out were offered an upgraded reciever board if the vehicle was still within the warranty period. This measure finished in December 2004.

The keypad, supplied with the security system as standard, is intended to overcome instances such as occassional lock out using the 4 didgit pin code, if this is not available please pm me, and I will take the case from there.

In essence to overcome this, when you are affected by radio key lockout either use the four digit pin through the keypad as this is not atall affected by radio lockout or obtain a later shielded receiver ECU from Subaru they will supply and fit this ECU and the part no for the ECU just in-case you decide to follow this route is SACC3465 (This measure should not be required for 01MY vehicles and onwards), either way your problems should then be solved.
Regards

Mike.N

Hope I havent bored you too much with this info, but it is for everybodies benefit in the long-run.

Last edited by MikeyN; 29 August 2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 29 August 2006, 09:24 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I would love to see what a 20kW tetra site looks like...

I think you have gone wrong somewhere - you cant convert isotropic dBs straight into watts..

Typical power for a TETRA site is around 40W.
Old 29 August 2006, 09:24 AM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

Default thanks

thanks for the info , that explains the interference , only one thing I dont understand , my car is an 02 bugeye and should allready be
shielded ?
Old 29 August 2006, 09:36 AM
simplesteve
Scooby Regular

I had an STI bugeye. Story goes.... travelling to Leicester from Poole, the missus wanted a drink. Pulled in to Towcester BP services on the A43, locked the car using the remote and when I came out of the garage to open it... no response. It ended up on a low loader going back to Southampon, while I continued my journey in a Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L.... nice! My Subaru had to have a new alarm fitted, under warranty, as it was interfeared with by a nearby mobile phone mast.

Steve
Old 29 August 2006, 02:29 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simplesteve
I had an STI bugeye. Story goes.... travelling to Leicester from Poole, the missus wanted a drink. Pulled in to Towcester BP services on the A43, locked the car using the remote and when I came out of the garage to open it... no response. It ended up on a low loader going back to Southampon, while I continued my journey in a Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L.... nice! My Subaru had to have a new alarm fitted, under warranty, as it was interfeared with by a nearby mobile phone mast.

Steve
Hi there,

It would seem that you have suffered from radio lockout as the alarm system only reacts like this when you are in any particular given place, and in this particular instance it would also seem you had the older un-shielded reciever board on your vehicle for some reason?. Once your vehicle was towed - presumably as you did not have the pin number, a replacement ECU should have and seems to of have been fitted - as this would have been identified as the older type board once back at Subaru, but this however would still of operated once out of the range of the offending transmitter, as external transmitters do not and to quote "as it was interfeared with" have a long term impact on the ECU itself.

A pin number will always work, providing it is the correct number please test before coming to use this in a given situation, and the keypad is not damaged.

In this instance using the keypad along with your 4 digit pin number should always work, providing you have the pin number - as this is not affected by any transmitters. If you do not have the working pin number, but do have a working radio key, I advise you to follow the procedure below to teach the security system a new pin code before you travel!!!!.

If you would like a pin code for the current system please carry out the following steps - presuming you have the Sigma M-Series (M30 in Subarus) on your vehicle with the keypad installed which has a star and a hash button on it along with digits 0 thorugh to 9!

Arm and then disarm the alarm system with your working radio key
The LED will be in a constant red state (Only for 30 secs)
On the keypad type:
*17856 (The siren will chirp)
*xxxx (Where x represents the digits of the new pin code you wish to have)
*xxxx (As above)
#

Test the system will both arm and disarm through the use of this pin number through the keypad.

MODERATORS PLEASE NOTE THIS INFORMATION IS NOT SECURITY SENSISTIVE AS THE SECURITY SYSTEM MUST BE IN A DISARMED STATE AND WITHIN THE STALL AND START TIME FOR THIS PROCEDURE TO WORK.

Some notes on the use of the keypad:

When pressing any digit on the keypad the LED should flash once, if at any time it flashes several times the system is seeing an incorrect programming procedure or pin code, press the buttons on the keypad firmaly and do not work at a too fast or too slow pace.

Hope this helps for use in the future

Regards

Mike.N
Old 29 August 2006, 02:39 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info , that explains the interference , only one thing I dont understand , my car is an 02 bugeye and should allready be
shielded ?
It would indeed also seem you had the older un-shielded reciever board on your vehicle for some reason? Do not know why but by following the advice given in the previous thread I have replied to, above as well as getting Subaru to check you do indeed have a shielded reciever board on your vehicle should go a long way to sorting your problems.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike.N
Old 29 August 2006, 02:41 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
I would love to see what a 20kW tetra site looks like...

I think you have gone wrong somewhere - you cant convert isotropic dBs straight into watts..

Typical power for a TETRA site is around 40W.
Thanks for that only quoting previous threads!

However, 40W is atill alot stronger than the unlicensed 0.5 Watts being transmitted from the radio key, hence resulting in "Radio Lockout"

Regards

Mike.N
Old 29 August 2006, 05:59 PM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

Default Response from Subaru

Thanks for the info guys , sounded right so I rang Subaru UK ...
here goes

Hello Subaru UK

Hi , ( explains prob )
voice :you need to speak to your dealer

me- explains bought private
them - any dealer will do it
me - ok

me rings - Jennings Subaru in Mbro
me - explains prob
girl - need to speak to service Ill put you through
10 minutes pass

voice - hello jennings mazda can I help
me - I need tech advice on a subaru
voice - subaru ?
me - ermm yes you know - the car ?
voice - sorry this is mazda , you need to ring subaru
me - I just did , can you put me through
voice - ok
waits....
voice - Jennings Ford how can I help
me - puts the phone down

me : rings sg petch , richmond
got a quote and the answer straight away - 130.00 squids
well done petch in richmond !

so the question now is can I buy and fit a chip or will it be cheaper just to get them do it ...

cheers for all the help guys , and Jennings in Mbro need to wake up..
Old 29 August 2006, 07:00 PM
Yeti1
Scooby Newbie

Also, TETRA in use in the UK is 02 Airwave (380-400MHz), not the same as in Europe (420-430MHz).

But TETRA radios are so horrific at splling over and giving interference to anything it's unbeliveable!
Old 29 August 2006, 10:30 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had this exact problem with my UK300. Parked in Tescos in Trowbrige did the shopping thing, came out with trolley full of food and car wouldn't unlock with the alarm, kept trying but no luck. I thought maybe batteries so unlocked with the key which set the alarm off, dumped food in the boot and went back in the store to purchase some new batteries for the alarm fob. This failed to solve the problem. Rang a mate to come over and pick me up but after about 1 hour of constantly trying it worked.
Basically the next day rang my main dealer who knew exactly what I was talking about and straight away agreed to have the car back for a free alarm changed under warrenty. So thumbs up to Tiley's of Bristol.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:07 AM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Had same problem with my 2003 WRX. Control unit changed under warrenty, now fine!

Last edited by GE90; 30 August 2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:55 AM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys , sounded right so I rang Subaru UK ...
here goes

Hello Subaru UK

Hi , ( explains prob )
voice :you need to speak to your dealer

me- explains bought private
them - any dealer will do it
me - ok

me rings - Jennings Subaru in Mbro
me - explains prob
girl - need to speak to service Ill put you through
10 minutes pass

voice - hello jennings mazda can I help
me - I need tech advice on a subaru
voice - subaru ?
me - ermm yes you know - the car ?
voice - sorry this is mazda , you need to ring subaru
me - I just did , can you put me through
voice - ok
waits....
voice - Jennings Ford how can I help
me - puts the phone down

me : rings sg petch , richmond
got a quote and the answer straight away - 130.00 squids
well done petch in richmond !

so the question now is can I buy and fit a chip or will it be cheaper just to get them do it ...

cheers for all the help guys , and Jennings in Mbro need to wake up..

Hi again,

Iam afraid it is not simply a chip or a new reciever board that will be put into your vehicle if you go through Subaru, it will be a whole new M30 ECU, although this is a simple operation to replace, the coding of your radio keys will also have to be completed, the sensitivity of your ultrasonics will have to be adjusted along with any other setting that require changing on your vehicle, so I would get the unit supplied and fitted by Subaru. Not forgetting also that this security system is a Category 1 system after all, so best not too mess with it let it to the dealers.

Regards

Mike.N