Sponsored by:

fitting subframe...

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2006, 01:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting subframe...

after my well documented prang, when i didnt even manage to get out my works car park without crashing (get outa my way polish!!) i got my car fixed for everything that was needed, only to find the subframes a little bent (front n/s). so im looking at one from a guy i got an arb from for the front (which was also bent lol) and just want to know how much of a job it is to fit it really.

will it cost the earth and what needs to be done to remove the old one, replace it with a good condition used one. genuine part too il add. do all classics use the same size subframe, ie all bolts the same place etc? i dont want to buy it and find when getting fitted its wrong!!

any help appreciated, and yes i know maybe i should stop crashing my car!! or upgrade the brakes at least!!

andy.
Old 28 August 2006, 01:16 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never done this task, but would think all classic turbo front sub frames are the same except possibly the 22B!
Long winded job as it holds so much, lower suspension (easy task, engine and steering rack, all bolts but you need to support the weight.

I would say about a long morning if you know your way around the Impreza.

I would expect the bolts etc to be all the same.
Buy a big tin of WD40 and find a good mate (ie one who hasn't done this before).

Good luck.

Graham
Old 28 August 2006, 01:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Never done this task, but would think all classic turbo front sub frames are the same except possibly the 22B!
Long winded job as it holds so much, lower suspension (easy task, engine and steering rack, all bolts but you need to support the weight.

I would say about a long morning if you know your way around the Impreza.

I would expect the bolts etc to be all the same.
Buy a big tin of WD40 and find a good mate (ie one who hasn't done this before).

Good luck.

Graham
already got a guy to do it for me. hes got his own website www.brumleeuk.com, and i recently bought a used front arb from him... good guy knows his subarus, it was then i realised the subframe at the bottom was bent a little and not in line. this is really why im probably all over the road with the cars shabby handling...

he says he can fit it no problems (well besides the usual pain in the **** treatment from scoobs lol) so i was just asking really whats involved and does it take rocket science to exchange the broken one???

andy.
Old 28 August 2006, 04:25 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No rocket science, just time and patience.
The car would never drive well with a crooked subframe.
Graham
Old 28 August 2006, 04:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
No rocket science, just time and patience.
The car would never drive well with a crooked subframe.
Graham
lol that will be then why its looks good after a clean and polish but still handles ****ty lol.

hopefully after getting a decent subaru subframe put on it will drive ok and then maybe some decent suspension too... see if the strut is damaged...