Help needed - possible speed camera incident

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2006, 05:56 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed - possible speed camera incident

Hi,

I was just given a "strobe light" flash from a silver Audi A4 which I'm now guessing was an unmarked police car. It was on the A25 near Godstone in Surrey. My wife said she saw it waiting in a junction and it seems it pulled out and caught up with us, gave this flash and then turned off right after.

I was probably breaking the limit as I passed but hopefully only by 20-30%. The question is, if he did clock me why did he then take the trouble to catch up, follow me, flash me but not pull me over. I'm hoping it may have just been a warning flash rather than a full on speed trap and catch up to confirm car reg scenario.

Has anyone else experienced similar ? Now I've got the long wait (90 days?) for that little letter to drop through the door....

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 27 August 2006, 06:09 PM
Bil
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry about it

probably just some student prat

i knew this guy at uni who used to stanmd with a hair drier to make ppl think they were getting clocked

Pretty dangerous given the fact that every driver was slamming on the brakes and skidding
Old 27 August 2006, 06:30 PM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

I'd say, don't panic!

You can buy strobe bulbs that fit front fog / head lights for that "Pace Car" look. They are illegal for highway use but a number of the stretch limo companies round us use them to woo the crowds.

AFAIK the cops don't use car mounted speed cams...................yet!!!
Old 27 August 2006, 06:44 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

If it was a police car and they wanted to do you for speed they would have stopped you - a flash of strobes is usually a 'slow down a bit' gesture to show you they have seen you and could do you if they so wished. If you slow down suitably they go on their way and everybody is happy .....

Having said that I am unaware of Surrey having A4's .... and I do know most of their cars .......

There are more and more idiots getting flashing strobes and fitting them to their cars . Get caught and they would definitely be going to court

Oh, and it is not 90 days for a notice of intended prosecution - they must get it to 'you' in 14 days but their is allowance for delay in postage.
Old 27 August 2006, 07:50 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm feeling a lot better about things. Also, after posting I went straight back down the road to where it happened to see a. If they were still there and b. what speed I reckon I would have been doing when they had line of sight.

They were nowhere to be seen so it didn't look like they were camped in for the afternoon picking off speeders. Also, by the time they could have got a radar onto me I had already slowed up a lot because there was traffic ahead.

Fingers crossed then

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 27 August 2006, 07:52 PM
Bil
Scooby Regular

hehehehe i saw a policeman jump out of a hedge and try to wave me down but i was going so fast i couldnt stop and didnt! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHEH
Old 27 August 2006, 07:55 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

unlesss they recording you on there incar video to show there speed against yours the pics are worthless........ having 2 moving vehicles would make them very inaccurate! so jus ta flash mate dont worry, they wud have pulled you over! the camera would have to be stationary..... fixed or being held.