possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2006, 11:10 AM
Luize
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink possible new owner

hello u lot.

thinking of getting an impreza, not a new one but my limit is 6k. been looking around and deffinatly want a turbo one as all my other cars were turbos and ive caught the "must have" turbo bug. do you think i could get a good one with that money or am i looking for trouble?

also what sort of mileage should i expect out of a turbo? currently own a moddified mr2 turbo and plans are to keep it as a weekend/summer toy as im getting about 190miles to a tank of optimax and want to get some serious tuning going on now as ive found out ive got forged internals hehe.

any info on what to go for is fabulas

Lou
Old 26 August 2006, 12:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to pick up a 98 or 99 uk model for that sort of cash, have a good look round though as there are some dogs out there and get yourself down to a couple of the local meetings to see what other people have come across problem wise and give you a better insight into what your after

Tony
www.ladsoc.co.uk
Old 26 August 2006, 03:44 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Hey Lou, dont suppose your on the mr2oc website are you? I recognise the name from somewhere

Anyway i managed to get a MY99 ( T reg ) UK Turbo for £5200. I wouldnt say the impreza was as fast as my old MR2 Turbo but once its moving its like a train and it sticks to the road like nothing ive ever been in before, i was amazed when the previous owner of the car took me out for a "test drive".

Ive never been so scared in my life, i was just waiting for it to dive into a hedge but it just kept on gripping round corners at ludicrous speeds.

Youve just got to be careful, try to get an unmodified one with low mileage and a full service history. Usual stuff really.

The WRX's are faster but i didnt see the increased insurance premium for an import model as a viable option. I was quite happy with a UK model Impreza after paying daft prices for insurance on my MR2 Turbo.

Oh and i picked a UK model so i could get normal unleaded petrol if i get caught short, ive had my car three weeks and been to the petrol station three times!! Budget for petrol.

Adam
Old 27 August 2006, 10:14 AM
Luize
Scooby Newbie

hiya yeah thats me, small world lol.

yeah i was thinking of getting a unmodified one, or maybe little mods like wheels and exhaust. mainly something fun and fast to drive everyday and keep the mr2 as a play thing due to wanting 400+bhp out of her so fuel is going to be a bit expensive after a while lol.

ive been looking at a few scoobs and theres sooo many different models and versions! is there a facts page anywhere that tells what the differences are? im not fussed about getting an import as ive read that the uk ones are more reliable?
what year did the bugeye ones come in? not a fan of those myself
Old 27 August 2006, 01:06 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Im pretty sure the Bugeye model came out late 2000 / early 2001 as you can still get a 2000 reg classic. The bugeye model isnt to everyone's taste and ive even heard that you could buy them cheaper than a late classic model, its each to their own really.

Regarding models, im not really that clued up as i specifically set out to find myself a late reg UK Turbo 2000. UK Cars are usually more reliable but you can still get a rough uk car / pristine import if you look around.

Im sure one of the other chaps will fill you in on the different models available and their differences. Im pretty sure there's a FAQ somewhere on the site that lists all the model information and stuff like that, might be worth looking for it.

400+bhp out of your mr2 turbo? Thats going to cost a bit isnt it?

Adam
Old 27 August 2006, 01:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The best Impreza ever made is the MY99 or MY00 UK car

2. Ignore imports - no need to lower your sights when there are so many proper UK cars around these days

3. Buy a standard car - no-one wants a fooooked about Impreza

4. Do not, repeat, do not buy a cheap one!

5. Spend whatever it takes to get the best 1 owner, unmolested MY00 UK Classic you can find

6. The Bug-Eyes are cheaper than the late Classics - but, unless you like them, don't buy one!! (99% of drivers hate the very sight of them and you won't be able to sell it)

7. If it's got a Boost Gauge and CockLink walk away - the owner hasn't got a clue

8. Buy from a 35 year old, or older, much better chance it has been driven properly

9. These things drink the fuel and it's quite a shock to some

10. Get one, you won't look back!!

Pete
Old 27 August 2006, 03:35 PM
Luize
Scooby Newbie

oooo some good info there cheers. yeah the bugeyes really dont suit the car at all, doesnt look aggresive enough.

yeah its going to cost a fair wack to get 400bhp+ but will be worth it if set up properly. doing it bit by bit. just got cooling sorted and now doing the fueling. internals and clutch are already done so it will be big turbo time

Trending Topics

Old 27 August 2006, 03:42 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Edited - I had posted a reasonably long post but only the 1st sentance appeared, so have deleted it as I can't be bothered typing it in again. Suffice to say though, I wasn't in full agreement with Mr Lewis.

Last edited by James Neill; 27 August 2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 27 August 2006, 03:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can remap any uk car from 99 onwards for about 650 quid, with an exhaust and upgraded brakes (they need them) your looking at a quick car for not alot of money (car should make around 260-270bhp on the standard turbo).
FSH is a must, nothing wrong with a JDM car though but they will cost you more, type RA's are the daddies but personally I would stick with a UK car if your going to tune your MR2 turbo, it will give you enough pleasure for the money

Tony