Sponsored by:

BLOODY BATTERY FLAT AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 10:43 PM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLOODY BATTERY FLAT AGAIN

Honestly, left the car for 2 weeks in the garage while on holiday and came back to dead battery... Had to get the jump leads out and jump her off a 7 year old corsa that that been in the same garage for 3 WEEKS... Left the car for week and a half and now the same story... this has happened loads in the past too and the battery is only a few months old. Only thing i can this off is the damn tracker is still not going into sleep mode after having this "inspected" by subaru twice now...
Old 18 August 2006, 11:18 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

I had same problem on my 03 sti mate. Subaru came out twice also but they just told me to tell tracker it was there fault. Tracker came out and replaced it without and argument and the problem did go away. Just tell them to come and swap it. If you still have problems at least you know it wont be that.

Originally Posted by JJstiuk

Honestly, left the car for 2 weeks in the garage while on holiday and came back to dead battery... Had to get the jump leads out and jump her off a 7 year old corsa that that been in the same garage for 3 WEEKS... Left the car for week and a half and now the same story... this has happened loads in the past too and the battery is only a few months old. Only thing i can this off is the damn tracker is still not going into sleep mode after having this "inspected" by subaru twice now...
Old 18 August 2006, 11:23 PM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

Cheers dude
Old 19 August 2006, 09:14 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

I think every STI has the same problem
I could have had mine replaced but I did not want my car stripped just to replace the tracker.... so I bought a trickle charger which done the trick
Old 19 August 2006, 10:15 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There's three problems on new-age Subaru's which lead to flat batteries. Two are indeed the RAC Trackstar system. There is a known problem with 2 of its settings. The movement sensor is known to be easily activated by passing lorries and such, resulting in it either being woken from sleep and thus starting to look for the satelites, or never actually going to sleep in the first place due to constant interuption from this sensor. The second problem is with the time delay before the system goes to sleep mode. IIRC the default setting is 6 hours. There is an upgrade available which reduces the sleep delay to 1 hour and reduces the sensitivity of the movement sensor I believe, but they haven't publicised it as it would obviously cost them a lot of money The third problem is with the so-called smart alternator which only charges when there is enough draw from the cars electrical systems to warrant a charge. Pop a multimeter across the alternator terminals and it will show 0V, turn on the sidelights and it will jump to 14.4V. During the summer when we don't use lights, heaters, demisters etc, the battery gets very little charge, and by autumn we usually see a raft of these flat battery posts as all of a sudden we start using more of the electrical systems and the battery is beyond coping. Simply leaving the sidelights on all the time will solve this.

HTH.