Sponsored by:

Resonator Removel

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2006, 04:54 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator Removel

As I have just bought a new green filter for my Bug STI I was wondering weather I should remove the the resonator Now looking at other posts on the subject I know how to do it and it seems straight forward enough but is it worth the bother? Is there any one out there that has done it on a Bug? does it really release the induction roar or will I hardly notice any difference in sound, I already have a TSL firestorm back box and center section but a bit more engine noise would be nice.

Thanks John.
Old 16 August 2006, 05:44 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Any one?
Old 16 August 2006, 08:13 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Not done it on a bug...... But did on my blobeye stippp, Did the mod and fitted a green panel filter, Took about 15 minutes, a roll of 2 inch gaffer tape will help a lot to fill all the holes and gaps up! Yes you can hear the turbo spool up much more, and yes you can hear much more induction-you even get more chatter from the wastegate and a slight wossssshhhhh when the excess air is dumped, It's a personal thing, My advice is to try it, the tape under the bonnet can look a bit messy so this is a downside but for the sake of 30 minutes work try it and see.........
Old 16 August 2006, 08:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've been running my 03 WRX PPP like this for 2 years now. Like the spool-up, induction and DV sounds, and without spending loads of cash on bling bits that give no performance increase and ultimately compromise reliability. For no cash and 15-20 minutes of time it's worth the effort even if it doesn't give any performance. Makes driving a little more entertaining without getting chavy
Old 16 August 2006, 10:46 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

ive done mine (blob sti) and to be honest...

i can only hear a very slight induction note etc, although i think it is worthwhile mod as when you remove the resonator it appears that the box would give restricted airflow and it can go in the same bin as the tango lenses.
Old 16 August 2006, 11:06 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, will give it a go tomorrow if the weather is ok.

A couple more questions on it though, sorry

Would re fiiting the scoop not keep the front tidyer?

As for the gaffer tape I still dont know where to place it, I take it there is a slight gap between the air box and the engine wall, how does tape fix this?
Old 17 August 2006, 12:26 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

scoop....what scoop

as for the gaffer tape i didnt bother as where the air box meets the inner wing this pushes through into a moulded plastic air feed pipe that is part of the resonator box. rather than get rid of the whole afforementioned assembly, it can be cut with a saw (above the box) that then enables you to keep the seals around the inner wing rather than trying a boch up with the tape. each to their own.
all will become clear.
Old 17 August 2006, 09:58 AM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
scoop....what scoop

as for the gaffer tape i didnt bother as where the air box meets the inner wing this pushes through into a moulded plastic air feed pipe that is part of the resonator box. rather than get rid of the whole afforementioned assembly, it can be cut with a saw (above the box) that then enables you to keep the seals around the inner wing rather than trying a boch up with the tape. each to their own.
all will become clear.
Using tape to affect a seal is 100% reversable and works fine, it might look untidy but comes off easily if you want to put the car back to standard,

Give it a go and see what you think!
Old 17 August 2006, 10:31 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

I thought about doing this 'mod',but after a search on here and NASIOC there are a few valid points explaining exactly why it isn't such a good idea.Particularly as it apparently reduces the cars performance as opposed to enhancing it?
Old 17 August 2006, 11:30 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Interesting hmmmm
Old 17 August 2006, 11:57 AM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

I have noticed no difference in performance, as I have said for the sake of 15 mins to take it off and 15 to put it on it really is worth a try!
Old 17 August 2006, 12:16 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
I have noticed no difference in performance
So the point of the resonator removal is?
Old 17 August 2006, 12:21 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jdub
As I have just bought a new green filter for my Bug STI I was wondering weather I should remove the the resonator Now looking at other posts on the subject I know how to do it and it seems straight forward enough but is it worth the bother? Is there any one out there that has done it on a Bug? does it really release the induction roar or will I hardly notice any difference in sound, I already have a TSL firestorm back box and center section but a bit more engine noise would be nice.

Thanks John.

I believe the first post on this thread " the one above" asked a simple question.............

It's best to read all the posts then you dont look stupid!
Old 17 August 2006, 12:49 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks John.
lots more induction\turbo noise but a degradation in performance. harvey tested this and lost around 10\15bhp when it was removed iirc.
Old 17 August 2006, 01:07 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
I believe the first post on this thread " the one above" asked a simple question.............

It's best to read all the posts then you dont look stupid!
Originally Posted by trails
lots more induction\turbo noise but a degradation in performance. harvey tested this and lost around 10\15bhp when it was removed iirc.
silly me
Old 17 August 2006, 02:10 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
So this is even more of a pointless mod than a atm dump valve (yes I do have one!) as you lose power!! can any one else comment on this, why would you lose power after removing it?
Old 17 August 2006, 02:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

So this is even more of a pointless mod than a atm dump valve (yes I do have one!) as you lose power!! can any one else comment on this, why would you lose power after removing it?
messes up the air flow iirc...PM Harvey, he will be able to provide you with details.
Old 17 August 2006, 02:56 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
silly me
as long as you learn for next time it's not an issue
Old 17 August 2006, 03:50 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Not heard of this mod until now. What exactly do you do?
Old 17 August 2006, 03:50 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Not heard of this mod until now. What exactly do you do?
Old 17 August 2006, 03:53 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

removel the snorkle that sits in the inner wing between the intake at the front of the bonnet and the airbox. don't do it.
Old 17 August 2006, 04:12 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

So how will it then take in cool air?
Old 17 August 2006, 04:27 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

I left my snorkal on. All i did was chop off the resonator bottle, so the snorkal is still connected to the airbox but you also draw up cold air from the inner wing!!!!
Can't say i've noticed any problems. Yes you get more intake noise (turbo spooling up etc etc), you also get a little 'hiss' from the dump valve, but nothing too chavvy..................................

Car is MY02 PPP

Mark
Old 17 August 2006, 05:18 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Thought mine had got slower, think i might have to put it back on for this weekend then!
Old 17 August 2006, 05:19 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Can anyone get harvey in on this thread to cast his findings?
Old 17 August 2006, 05:53 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Well here is my verdict on the removel:

As every one else has said before it really is quite simple, wont go into any detail as there are loads of other threads covering the removel.

After removing it, I went for a quick spin through town and round the ring road, to be honest I thought the car was a bit more juddery, but it might have been my imagination As for the noise, well I already have an HKS SSQV (yes I know!!) so I oviously cant comment on the standard recirc valve, as for induction noise and turbo spool up noise, well to be honest there aint that much and as I have a very loud exhaust you can hardly hear it with either the windows up or down.

So do I believe it is a worth while mod? well maybe if you have a bog standard scoob, but if you already have an after market exhaust etc.. then no because the noise from these will simply drown out any noise from the air box and as you are not going to be gaining any power there is just no point in taking it out. If you really want to hear proper induction roar etc.. then go for a spin in some one's car that has an induction kit on.

So after 40 mins with the snorkal out it is now back in, my advice is to save your self the bother and leave it well alone.

Regards John.
Old 17 August 2006, 07:53 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Nice one john, At least you gave it ago! I have an 03 sti PPP which has been remapped and I do notice an increase in sound which i find nice at the moment.......The prodrive exhaust is a little quiet so maybe i can hear a little more! I do not however suffer from juddering...... of any type!

It is again down to different cars at different times..............

It still pays to read all the posts,even if it is to stop you looking stupid!
Old 17 August 2006, 07:56 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil W
So how will it then take in cool air?
sucks it in via the inner-wing.
Old 17 August 2006, 07:56 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by h4rry
Can anyone get harvey in on this thread to cast his findings?
or you could try the search facility
Old 17 August 2006, 08:10 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had read on here that removing the snorkel ie. the inner wing resonator box was a performance mod. I had done it a couple of times in the past but could not determine any gain. (Unless you wanted more noise from the induction) On this occasion with an STi 3 Wagon I wanted to test various panel air filters and see what gains were to be had from the snorkel removal.
The tests were conducted on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road at TEG Sport on 2 consecutive afternoons. The best power run was 335.5 bhp with the snorkel. The best power run after removing the snorkel was 325 bhp. After refitting the snorkel I immediately got 335 bhp. For me this was conclusive and I think that with the snorkel removed the air flow was sufficiently disrupted to cause the power loss.
I had cut 2" off the original snorkel so that it butted in to the inner wing to facilitate best possible air flow. I had to obtain a replacement snorkel to go back to the original OE system.
As the car was on a standard ECU (with standard injectors and turbo) it was not possible to experiment with fuelling to determine if there would be any gains with a mappable ECU.
The result was contrary to what I had expected but worthwhile as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by harvey; 17 August 2006 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Resonator Removel