Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut problem. What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2006, 07:22 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut problem. What would you do ?

Just had my STi (53) in for it's 30,000 mile service at a well known Subaru dealership in the North of England.

I reported a problem with the rear suspension knocking and the car wandering and feeling "vague". After investigation, the mechanic said one of the rear struts needs replacing, and that's all they would be doing, changing one.

At this point I get quite (politely) angry, and say you never change just one strut, you always change them as a pair, which is what I've always done myself and heard other reputable mechanics doing, for balance and safety.

They are adament they will only change one, but did give me the number of Subaru Customer Service to have a whinge.

Do you think I was justified in asking for two, or should I just accept the one and be greatful ??

Look forward to your replies.

Graeme.
Old 14 August 2006, 07:50 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if warranty are paying then it will be just one but if you are paying then it's up to you.
Old 14 August 2006, 11:21 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Go to another dealer and tell them both rears are knocking, hey presto they will replace both.
Old 15 August 2006, 11:07 AM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Cheers, Dave - A stroke of brilliance !!

Spoke to Subaru customer services today and they said they would look at the claim.

Pretty poor service if you ask me. They know they have a problem with the rear struts, it's their design fault, but they don't want to put it right. How does that work ??

Good job it's not a high performance car that goes round corners quickly !!
Old 15 August 2006, 11:11 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was in for a first or second service then replacing one would probably be OK, but at 30,000 both need to be done.
JohnD
Old 15 August 2006, 11:40 AM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

I had one stru changed at about 8K, started knocking again at 18K so insisted both struts were changed, which they did.

Shout loudly, claim 'Fit for Purpose' and all that.
Old 15 August 2006, 12:05 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Garage I go to changed one at a time for me too. Bit of a waste of time, as this is a known problem with 03 sti's and would have been quicker to change both regardless of whether it was knocking or not.
I suppose it's down to whether or not your going to come back with the one that hasn't been changed within the warrenty period, if you don't, I.M. have saved some money
Old 15 August 2006, 04:38 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Quick update:

After contacting Subaru Customer Service they said ask the Dealer to submit a "PWA" which must be some sort of warranty request.

I get a call from the Dealer this afternoon saying my claim had been rejected and to contact customer services again, saying - "If you shout loud enough you may get a result".

Didn't have time to contact Customer Services but within 15 minutes the Dealer was back on the phone saying Subaru had had a change of heart and will now put two struts on.

A result !!

Great customer service from Subaru UK and the Dealer who were polite and helpful, eventually !!
Old 15 August 2006, 04:43 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a problem with my front suspension (knocking) on my 05 STI, and SG Petch of Richmond just said, yes it's your near side that's the problem, we'll change the whole front suspension on both sides under warranty

Waiting for my rear struts to go ............. will be straight to SG Petch for superb customer service
Old 15 August 2006, 10:01 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

with regards to the new struts (replacements) that the dealers put on, are these a newer design, more reliable, or are these likely to go faulty as quick as the originals.