New here - Impreza / STi Questions

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2006, 02:36 PM
dreamer_uk75
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here - Impreza / STi Questions

Hi everyone

Don't flame me too much, but I have what are probably common newbie questions!

I'm looking for a car to replace my S2000 - after an accident last year the seats are killing my back, and having just got a Caterham I don't really need 2 2-seater drop tops !

Took the 2.5 WRX out for a test drive yesterday and was unimpressed - it's quick, but it doesn't have that "shove you in the small of the back" that I was expecting, and it felt quite soft. Am tryin to sort an extended test drive of the STi as I reckon that should give me what I'm looking for.

A few questions though:
1) If I buy an import (from here for example: http://www.allbrandsnew.co.uk/ ) how is the warranty impacted? And do these differ from a new car I'd find in a showroom?

2) What is the fuel consumption REALLY like! In the S2000 I do about 240 miles/tank (about 42litres) with a combination of fun driving and motorway cruising

3) How popular is the STi Spec D (I'm not a huge fan of the gold wheels or huge spoiler) for resale?

4) Is the PPP worth it on the STi

Thanks in advance

Jo
Old 14 August 2006, 02:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Try for a second hand MY05 STI PPP. Should pick one up for £18-22k. An STI is fairly slow as standard IMO, so at a minimum you want the PPP on it. Idealy you want the Prodrive spring kit on to, and a set of 18" alloys. All can be fitted after of course.

Fuel wise. Well, you might not like this, but the best I get when really driving like a girl, and trying to keep the revs below 3000rpm, is 23mpg.
Drive in normal/fast and expect about 16-18mpg. Put it on a track or drive it like you stole it, and expect a lot less.

If your not bothered about warranty, then WRC, Powerstation, ScoobyClinic, etc can give the car some extra oomph.
Old 15 August 2006, 09:15 PM
dreamer_uk75
Scooby Newbie

Thanks

I really like the 06 front-lights etc., but not keen on te 2.5. Hmm. What does the PPP add to the 2.5, do you know?

Maybe a year old 05 2L with PPP... do you know what the fuel economy is like on that? Might be a better idea anyway given the depreciation on the cars
Old 15 August 2006, 10:40 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

My MY05 sti had ppp (its now tsl 333) but with the ppp it would do about 220-240 to the tank. With the tsl upgrade its a lot smoother and way better and a quicker drive,the map is a lot less 'abrupt' than the torque curve of the ppp mapping, if you though are after the over the top jerk yer neck experience, the ppp map is for you, and of course the warranty is not affected.

The TSL333 (or any singular mapping) is a better drive as the map is done for your specific car and not just the generic map from prodrive. If i were you i'd get an aftermarket non prodrive mapping, mine for instance pulls like a train upto 7200rpm, the ppp I found didnt and went flat at 6k+, mind you bare in mind at those revs no matter which map, you are going like stink

A basic sti would not be an option (for me anyway) and by the sounds for you, your simple choice as has been said many times before is get the ppp if you want warranty, if you want the best and fastest package go TSL, WRC, scooby clinic, powerstation etc any of these are highly recommended.
Old 16 August 2006, 07:36 AM
dreamer_uk75
Scooby Newbie

Thanks - how big is the tank?
Old 16 August 2006, 07:43 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

never ran my sti empty but i have got 50 odd quid in there more than a few times.
go fot the spec c mate,its the mutts nuts
Old 16 August 2006, 07:45 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

60 Litres/13 Gal.
Old 16 August 2006, 08:22 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 2.5 is more economical than the 2.0 previous model and has more low down power to start with.

I wouldnt go with the Spec D though as it doesnt really know what it is and i think the resale values will be very low.

I bought a type uk but to be honest I wish I had gone for spec c import - that is the one to get IMO. Having said that I love mine to pieces and it does go like stink
Old 16 August 2006, 08:33 AM
dreamer_uk75
Scooby Newbie

Interesting that the 2.5 is more fuel economical - 60L is about 63 quid where I live !!!!!
Old 16 August 2006, 09:23 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i get about 25-26 mpg average across a mix of A roads and B road blasts - not much dual carriageway or motorway stuff though. Have got 310 mile to a tank in "Driving Miss Daisy" mode - but not normal.

Because thew power of the 2.5 is much lower down the rev range you dont "need" to thrash it to get the best driving experience, hence better economy. In fact above 5,500 rpm the power goes down so you are better off in a lower gear. Peak power of mine is at 5500 and peak torque at 4000rpm....

The PPP kit is set to taper the turbo boost down towards the top end of the rev range as subaru have experienced piston problems above 17psi at that speed and therefore they have mapped for driving not for bragging rights. That, after all, is what it is all about. I couldnt care less about peak power, if you have top be doing 7000 rpm to get there. Not good for the engine and not good to drive on the roads IMO - the drag strip maybe .....
Old 16 August 2006, 10:29 AM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

My STI is running Andy F 18G Turbo and remap, decat etc, its supossed to be running around 350BHP but only managed 310BHP on the rollers (was hot)

It costs me about £55.00 to fill up (from empty) and I get 250 miles max