Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto express article

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2000, 09:13 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting read - But really backs up what we have all been saying - we'll stick for the moment with the old model until ways of giving the same (or better) thrills arrive.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:26 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

one word sum's the new car up..'the car is shi*te'
Old 26 October 2000, 12:14 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Talking

just found this on the Auto Express Website

Subaru Impreza
Imagine McDonald's saying it had changed the recipe for a Big Mac. Or hearing that Guinness is adding something extra to its brew. There would be a sense of outrage, pickets on the streets and petitions handed in.
Reaction to the announcement that Subaru was replacing the legendary Impreza Turbo has been only slightly less extreme. Why mess with a formula so successful it has transformed the image of Subaru from a purveyor of sheepdog-carrying pick-ups into one of the most respected performance car manufacturers in the world?

The bitter pill for enthusiasts did not taste any sweeter when the first pictures of the replacement were seen. The rear and sides were predictable enough, and the interior featured some much-needed improvements, but the front was a huge surprise, with round headlamps which drew unkind comparisons with the last model Toyota Corolla or even the droopy-faced Ford Scorpio. The name has been changed for the UK, too, with the Turbo tag replaced by the WRX badge used everywhere else in the world.

But the Impreza Turbo never sold because of its styling or name. It was a driver's car through and through, able to cover ground in all conditions faster than many supercars, and yet could still carry a family. All this for the price of a mid-range Ford Mondeo.

Can the new car live up to the legend? We put it head-to-head against its toughest competitor, the car it must beat if it is to win over the enthusiasts, despite those radical new looks. Yes, Auto Express pits new Impreza against old Impreza in the ultimate shoot-out.

When parked next to each other, it's clear that the WRX is the bigger car. The new Impreza is longer, wider and higher, and, from most angles more aggressive, too. Flared wheelarches - a feature only used on the four-door - are lifted from the rally-bred 22B version of the old car, and the wheels have increased from 16 to 17-inches to fill them. We will let you make up your own mind about the front, but it is less aggressive than the old car's, with only one bonnet vent and those round headlights. At least the huge foglamps retain a visual link with the previous model.

Jump from one driver's seat to the other and it makes you realise how good the old Turbo must be to drive if owners are prepared to put up with such a bad interior. The plastics would not even be considered good enough to make the toolkit on a Volkswagen or BMW. Slide controls for the ventilation show the car was designed nearly 10 years ago, and the switches are scattered about wherever there is a space for them. The WRX won't be winning any style prizes either, but the interior design is more bearable, with a rounder, silver-trimmed facia and rotary switches giving a more modern look.

Thankfully, the basic layout remains the same - so the Momo steering wheel is just where you want it to be, the pedals and gearlever are perfectly placed and the bucket seats still hug you like an over-protective mother.

It's time to turn the keys. The WRX is first and it all seems a bit tame. There is no drama, and the noise from the engine is subdued enough to let you hear the Impreza Turbo parked beside you bark into life.

Out on to the road, and the WRX does not require any effort to get out of parking spots, no delicate manoeuvres on the near-weightless clutch to pull away cleanly, and the steering is light and easy. Up until 2,000rpm, you could almost be driving a Nissan Micra, but then the turbo wakes up and starts to build speed rapidly. The power delivery is far less peaky than the old car's, with a steady accumulation of boost up to the red line.

Despite the WRX weighing 150kg more than its predecessor, Subaru claims it is faster when accelerating from 0-60mph, knocking 0.4 of a second from the old model's 6.3 seconds sprint time. However, it does not feel like it. Refinement may be what some buyers want, but the sensation of driving a special car has been filtered out. The shove-in-the-back acceleration of the Turbo, the noise of the rushing air and the exhaust's bark have gone.

The new car's superior acceleration is probably due to its strange gearing. First and second are low to give maximum thrust, while the top three ratios are chosen for relaxed cruising. In fact, 70mph on the motorway equates to only 2,800rpm - just inside the turbo- charger's range - and means you need to downchange to get maximum overtaking performance. In the old car, 70mph arrives at 3,000rpm, but if you require an extra squirt of power the turbo is already on boost and willing to help out. It is the same story in the corners. There is no question that the WRX is at least as fast through bends and on the straight as the Turbo. In the streaming rain it went round bends with confidence - even at speeds you would not contemplate in a supercar.

In addition, the Turbo's tendency to plough on in fast, tight turns has been lessened to give a more neutral feel, and the body remains perfectly composed even after the car encounters a series of bumps mid-bend. Take corners in the Turbo and you find yourself working much harder to drive fast. The firmer ride and more communicative steering mean you feel the wriggle of every tyre in a puddle, each shift of balance and the slightest change in road surface. Bumps easily absorbed by the WRX will send the old car off line for a fraction of a second before it regains composure. In addition, each movement of the clutch is harder work and the gearchanges more frequent to keep in the turbo's boost range.

At the end of a long day with the prospect of motorway jams ahead, it was the WRX we wanted to go home in. But the Turbo would be our choice for a cross-country blast. The WRX is undoubtedly the more sensible choice for the driver using the car daily, when it will go supercar-quick in wet or dry with the minimum of effort or skill. But is this what the Impreza Turbo buyer really wants? The beauty of the old car was that it was thrilling to drive and awesomely fast in all conditions. The new model is less effort to drive fast, although many of the thrills have been removed from the recipe.

Those controversial new headlamps and name are not the only risks Subaru has taken with the Impreza WRX. The car is just as fast as the Turbo it replaces, and is easier to drive, with lighter controls, less weighty steering and smoother power delivery. But drivers have to do without the raw thrills which made the old car special. The WRX will be more appealing to buyers wanting refined, fast everyday transport, but enthusiasts will prefer the old model.

At a glance

*All-new version of legendary Impreza Turbo, renamed WRX

*On sale late next month priced £21,495 - £250 more than previous model