Now they're thinking of reducing the speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2006, 07:58 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now they're thinking of reducing the speed limits

Just read in the paper that our ***** of a road minister 'Stephen Ladyman' (Stupid name if ever I've heard one !!) is issuing guidelines to local councils that in effect will guide them to reduce town speed limits from 30 to 20 and country road limits down from 60 to 40 or even 30 . (Motorways and major trunk roads remain unchanged )Now I agree with th 20 mph idea in certain places like near schools and playgrounds etc and also some dangerous country roads do need to be 40 in places , but is'nt this the nanny state going a bit too far ......Time to sell the Scoob soon then, as I'll never get out of 3rd gear
Old 08 August 2006, 08:31 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put that together with £1800 tax and there's gonna be plenty of Scoobys, Evo's Skylines etc etc for sale at VERY knocked down prices!!

Who the hell would be able to afford one and what would be the point ??
Old 08 August 2006, 09:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Well if you will keep voting Labour..... the only problem there isn't an alternative as they are all just as anti-car!
Old 08 August 2006, 09:12 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Another well thought out idea . Presumably the limit would apply to all forms of transport, so expect bus timetables to go out the window, especially in rural areas. Expect increases in delivery charges, as a particular van/lorry will be able to make less deliveries in a given time (only way to offset this is buy another van & hire another driver - pass the expense on to the customer). Expect the tourist industry to flounder as people can no longer get to anywhere for a day trip - a 'day trip' would be spent travelling with no time to actually stop anywhere.

Has anyone in this Government actually got any brains to think ideas through?
Old 08 August 2006, 09:28 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Did you not notice the small print in this "REVIEW"?

Black boxes to be fitted to ALL CARS, they will be able to track you 24/7. Send you a ticket if you speed, park in the wrong place, commit a traffic offence.

Charge you so much a mile, highest rate during commuting times.

OOHH I nearly forgot, YOU PAY FOR THIS & IT'S COMPULSORY, ZIllion ££££ fine if you don't install one, Database will get you. Only £400!

Take heart though, this will all be Administered by a new super duper computer system.

Everything this lot tries on Computers goes diddies up, NHS, CSA, TAX YOUR CAR, etc etc. Hope this doesn't happen. Alan MaC
Old 08 August 2006, 09:32 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyG
Has anyone in this Government actually got any brains to think ideas through?
Too busy ******** their advisors , What a bunch of cu**s
Old 08 August 2006, 09:33 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

And there is no mention of when these speed limits were actually created. I *think* technology has moved on a *little* since then!

How many accidents actually occur due to excessive speed?
How many accidents are due to drink/drug driving?

Now compare those figures with accidents that happen within the speed limit, when people are sober!!
Old 08 August 2006, 09:33 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Well if you will keep voting Labour.....
Never have done and never wiil do as long as I've got a hole in my ****
Old 08 August 2006, 09:36 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
And there is no mention of when these speed limits were actually created. I *think* technology has moved on a *little* since then!

How many accidents actually occur due to excessive speed?
How many accidents are due to adverse weather conditions?
How many accidents are due to drink/drug driving?

Now compare those figures with accidents that happen within the speed limit, in good weather conditions when people are sober!!
Also how many accidents are due to uninsured Albainian's etc who jave never passed a driving test in their life , but our fine government keep welcoming them to our shores
Old 08 August 2006, 09:39 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

In the Clarkson Top Gear article from August 2006:

"The latest figures suggest that 18 per cent of fatalities on the roads in 2004 were caused by drink driving. And that 34 per cent were caused as a result of excessive speed. This means that 58 per cent were caused by people who were stone-cold sober, and travelling well within both their limits and those of the car."
Old 08 August 2006, 09:44 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I'm always amazed that people don't realise it's a limit and not a target. Plainly there are roads where 60mph is wholly inappropriate however this assumes that the driver responds accordingly.

I drove on a road recently which went 40 - 50 - 30 - 50 - 40 - 50 - NSL in a short distance. Confused the **** out of me!
Old 08 August 2006, 09:52 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC

Black boxes to be fitted to ALL CARS, they will be able to track you 24/7. Send you a ticket if you speed, park in the wrong place, commit a traffic offence.

Charge you so much a mile, highest rate during commuting times.

OOHH I nearly forgot, YOU PAY FOR THIS & IT'S COMPULSORY, ZIllion ££££ fine if you don't install one, Database will get you. Only £400!

Take heart though, this will all be Administered by a new super duper computer system.

Everything this lot tries on Computers goes diddies up, NHS, CSA, TAX YOUR CAR, etc etc. Hope this doesn't happen. Alan MaC
Surely to have to have something installed in your own vehicle is an infringement of your civil liberties ??? It's not the property of anyone else but the person it's registered to.

It's just another way of the Poxy government playing big brother with you. They are justing blaming the motorist and attempting to take advantage of them AGAIN because he's an easy target.
Surely they make enough money from transport as it is which is spent on our friends arriving from whatever eastern european country you care to mention, buying them houses, cars, etc etc. This country is in such a mess and if it comes to pass that this does end up being past as law then i'll be one of the first to be looking into getting out and setting up home in Oz. At least they still are proud of theyre country, where has the Great in Great Britain gone ?????? this government is dragging us futher down by the day and the sooner people realise the mess were in the better

Last edited by B0DSKI; 08 August 2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08 August 2006, 10:05 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Surely to have to have something installed in your own vehicle is an infringement of your civil liberties ??? It's not the property of anyone else but the person it's registered to.

It's just another way of the Poxy government playing big brother with you. They are justing blaming the motorist because he's an easy target.
And what about our uninsured scumbag's out there what's the chance of them having this crap fitted ? NONE so once again it's us law abiding types who will once again be paying for them
Old 08 August 2006, 10:13 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
And what about our uninsured scumbag's out there what's the chance of them having this crap fitted ? NONE so once again it's us law abiding types who will once again be paying for them
Exactly my point, we pay out tax, we pay our servicing, we pay our insurance etc etc, all these scumbags out there driving around in bags of sh1te that have never been insured or taxed, and in the case of the "Visitors" proberly never had a british driving license either.

Makes me when u see them on British roads and getting away with it.

All i can say is a BIG to the government and all the "Visitors" that pay nothing and bring nothing to our country
Old 08 August 2006, 08:10 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Good points.

Don't you fell a change in the air??

Your average Brit sits down the Pub and moans and, as the saying goes, the next day says "musn't grumble and goes back to work paying taxes, insuring the Scoob etc."

Enough is enough, I travel up and down "our" County and stay in Pubs/little Hotels and, this conversation is everywhere, we have had enough, this is definitely flavour of the month. nationally

It takes a lot to get the Brit's back up ( remember the fuel protests?) well "johnny Foriegner", there's no more room at the Inn!

What say you all?

Alan MaC

Old 08 August 2006, 08:19 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt that be fun with a mobile phone jammer
Old 08 August 2006, 08:22 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Chriss,

Do you think that would work?

Alan MaC
Old 08 August 2006, 08:28 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

all these car owners in britain pity we cant all get together to vote out any government that is this stupid after all nra of america did and they really put the ******* up any one against them they were a nice quiet group untill they had had enough
Old 08 August 2006, 08:34 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Chriss,

Do you think that would work?

Alan MaC
Certainley, theres hope for scoobs yet
But how many drivers would allow such a device to impeed there privacy? I feel a no win no fee comming on

Even if that was an idea, it would be years before it was tested!

Prob wouldnt be in my lifetime!

Im amazed at the crap I buy on the internet that is actually great!

So much fun walking around in towns where people are on phones and turning it on

Got a green laser pen too, like playing star wars with out the loss of limbs on the dark
Old 08 August 2006, 08:41 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i see that this govenment has not looked at reducing car crime thou.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mobile phone jammer - sounds great
How much? Are they legal?
Old 09 August 2006, 08:35 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

I like the fact that they are going to slow down all the minor roads to make them not worth taking -- -- and then they are going to put tolls on all the fast ones. Yeah!
Old 09 August 2006, 08:57 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Not all bad.

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Put that together with £1800 tax and there's gonna be plenty of Scoobys, Evo's Skylines etc etc for sale at VERY knocked down prices!!

Who the hell would be able to afford one and what would be the point ??
IMO I see a bright future for fast accelerating cars. You pull away from the lights quicker than everyone else, and they can't catch back up because their top speed is limited the same as yours. You pull out more of a lead at every speed limit increase. You are then getting through lights before the rest arrive. You can pull out into smaller gaps in traffic with better acceleration. Ultimately your journey time will still be significantly quicker than the average car.

PS I am not a performance car salesman, my theories can be crap as well as good, etc.
Old 09 August 2006, 09:22 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The implications of having a black box in every car are absolutely huge, everywhere you go this government will know about it. They will also know exactly how fast you are going every minute of the day! You will be charged for every mile you drive with no need for toll booths.

Just think about what a depressing existence that will be!

I hate this government and everything they stand for!