Sponsored by:

stopped by police

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 10:15 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stopped by police

As title.Today i was stopped by the police for speeding.Can i make it clear from the start that I know i did wrong and this is in no way a how can i get away with it thread just after a bit of advice. I was stopped by an unmarked focus on my way to see a friend. when he stopped me he did the normall thing of asking if i knew what i'd been stopped for etc but did not take any of my detales (name home adress etc etc) he gave me a sturn talking to and said if i was doing a little bit over the limet he would have let me go. he did not tell me he was going to prosecute ect nore did he give me a ticket.
So i'm really confused as to weather i've been let off with a telling off or if i'm going to get a NIP hit the mate in 2 weeks or less. Spoke to a mate whos a copper and he seems to think i should be ok (he's not a traffic cop) just tring to work out if i've been very lucky or not. As far as i was awear if they were going to take action they have to caution you (i'm now cautioning you that you will be reported for the offence off speeding etc etc)
Just would like to know where i stand.
As i said at the start i know i broke the law and will take point fine etc on the chin.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:22 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he let you off with it
If you do end up getting something in the post then your defence in court would be what you have just told us
Old 07 August 2006, 10:28 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I would imagine he's let you off.

Otherwise he would have had to issue a ticket there and then. As far as I know, an NIP is only for cameras - if you get stopped, you should be issued with the ticket there and then.

I you get stopped again, do not admit to exceeding the posted limit - otherwise if you ever want to contest a ticket, it will be quite tricky (speaking from personal experience!!).
Old 07 August 2006, 10:37 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The focus is rarely used for traffic duties so it is highly unlikely that he had any means of recording your speed with any sort of accuracy. If he was going to prosecute you, you would have been informed by the phrase "You will be reported for consideration of the question of prosecuting you for this offence" which is basically a verbal NIP. Needless to say, he would also have taken details.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:39 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a let off (assuming real copper), if you were going to get a ticket he would have had to verbal NIP which from the sounds of it you didn't get.

.:. theotherphil beat me to the reply button .:.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:50 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

if the cop didnt take any of your details then you are laughing as how would he know who to report for the speeding offence.

if he were to report you then he should have given you a document producer also, unless you had them with you?

as for daved comments re nip, sorry mate your talking crap. an nip can be given verbally or by post within (14 days i think) and can be given for reporting drivers for numerous offences.

i think your off with it mate. a lesson learnt though.
Old 07 August 2006, 11:55 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think you should be ok if no details were took. Under no circumstances admit anything, alot of the time the police rely on you to incriminate yourself. Was the officer an actual traffic cop? Unusal for a Focus to be a traffic car.
Old 07 August 2006, 11:57 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
as for daved comments re nip, sorry mate your talking crap. an nip can be given verbally or by post within (14 days i think) and can be given for reporting drivers for numerous offences.
I stand corrected....
Old 08 August 2006, 12:18 AM
jonnyrex
Scooby Regular

focus's and 306's around bristol are used by the CID ,easy to spot 2x aerial's "longer aerial at the rear of roof ,norm on the front of roof "Cant talk about the NCS's vehicle's .been there but better not let on ..big broher and all that
Old 08 August 2006, 01:39 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'Producers' may have have an NIP printed on their reverse... Now thats just snide isnt it?
Old 08 August 2006, 05:08 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonnyrex
focus's and 306's around bristol are used by the CID ,easy to spot 2x aerial's "longer aerial at the rear of roof ,norm on the front of roof "Cant talk about the NCS's vehicle's .been there but better not let on ..big broher and all that
Some undercover units have no visible aerials