Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afterburner Vortex or Ninja Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 07:12 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afterburner Vortex or Ninja Exhaust?

Evening all, picked up my MY99 Impreza Turbo on Saturday and i love it.

It came fitted with a Magnex Oval Backbox. Im loving the rumbling / burbling noise but im not sure if its the magnex or not but any speed over 30mph and it just sounds like a standard fit exhaust. Low down it sounds awesome but a bit too normal for my taste.

Ive been looking at both the Afterburner Vortex Backbox and the Ninja one off of Scoobyworld. Are these two exhaust greatly different? What sort of noise do they make?

I dont want something thats droning and will get tiresome on long journeys but i would like something that has that flat 4 rumble everpresent or something that at least sounds powerful - nothing too tinny sounding or whiney.

Dont suppose anyone has any sound clips other than the ones on the scoobyworld website - it makes the above backboxes sound like chalk and cheese ( the Afterburner sounds awesome / the Ninja sounds pathetic ).

Also noticed you can get the Ninja as a cat-back kit for £329, anyone got this as well?

Thanks

Adam
Old 07 August 2006, 07:23 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blitz nur spec r :-)
Old 07 August 2006, 07:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

hi fella, ive just placed my order today off scoobyworld. i as going to get the full afterburner decat system just to scare the **** off corsa and saxo boy! but a guy off here has sold me his ninja back box (also very highly rated) for a good price, and im thus mixing the ninja with a afterburner downpipe and centre section now.

after ringing scoobyworld and them confirming it will all go together well it was £279.98 all in including £20 delievery. add the cost of my back box, and ive got a decent full exhaust system for £400notes.

i believe the afterburner is a little more noisy, but dont disregard the ninja, also a very good piece of kit.

getting it fitted on sat my a mechanic mate of mine and will try get a soundclip off my phone on here if your interested, then you can here what a mix of ninja and afterburner sounds like.

a kid a christmas time comes to mind. im well excited lol

andy.
Old 07 August 2006, 07:39 PM
DARKDESTROYER9
Scooby Regular

ive got a scoobysport on mine and its perfect quiet ish on tick over and loud on full throtle
Old 07 August 2006, 07:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARKDESTROYER9
ive got a scoobysport on mine and its perfect quiet ish on tick over and loud on full throtle
thats the spirit. lets all wake the dead!!
Old 07 August 2006, 07:46 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

chocolate o brian - i would be interested to hear what your afterburner / ninja combo sounds like if you dont mind uploading a sound clip when you get it all fitted.

To be honest im not too bothered about a full system at the moment, its just the backbox i would be thinking of getting at the moment. Having just spent over 5k on the car im a bit tight this month!! Although i have just got a new credit card

Thanks

Adam
Old 07 August 2006, 07:47 PM
DARKDESTROYER9
Scooby Regular

i could do with you as a neighbour aas one of mine rang the police about the noise

the police gave me an unoficial warning
Old 07 August 2006, 07:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
chocolate o brian - i would be interested to hear what your afterburner / ninja combo sounds like if you dont mind uploading a sound clip when you get it all fitted.

To be honest im not too bothered about a full system at the moment, its just the backbox i would be thinking of getting at the moment. Having just spent over 5k on the car im a bit tight this month!! Although i have just got a new credit card

Thanks

Adam
ahh those two words god sent to please and then disrupt lol, credit cards...

well like i said im having the ninja backbox put on so il upload a clip best i can mate, a sound clip and a video clip off my sony phone if thats any good. its the centre and the downpipe that are afterburner pieces, but if your interested still your most welcome young man.

oh by the way, theres some clips on www.scoobyworld.co.uk if youve not heard them already. but not the best...
Old 07 August 2006, 07:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARKDESTROYER9
i could do with you as a neighbour aas one of mine rang the police about the noise

the police gave me an unoficial warning
ah the 5-0 again. its ok im a dj and had a pair of 300 watts monitors in my garage along with a 1500 watt fairground speaker. had 13 complaints in 30 minutes (un lucky for me lol) and had an unofficial warning, 2 official warnings and a final confiscation warning in the same day.

bit anti social i know but didnt have the flat four burble then, just some four on four beats. carazy mutherfcuker.

sod the neighbours.

(infact the other day when i spent 5 hours washing and polishing my wrx 5 of my neighbours complimented me on how well i keep my car) astounding

andy.
Old 07 August 2006, 07:55 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

get an afterburner fella they sound great, had mine for a while now and i love it, even some people at the meets i goto have changed from ninja to afterburner as it sounds better and awsome on full boost
Old 07 August 2006, 07:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catalunya 172
get an afterburner fella they sound great, had mine for a while now and i love it, even some people at the meets i goto have changed from ninja to afterburner as it sounds better and awsome on full boost
dont say that it makes me feel ive made the wrong choice . i want loud but had a great deal with the backbox... hopefully the decat will keep it loud enough. if not il go nick a bean can off a nova or "summink innit"
Old 07 August 2006, 08:01 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dont overlook the Revolution system.............

Fantastic bit of kit at a superb price.
Old 07 August 2006, 08:02 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

scoobytecniox in fleetwood have some amazing systems in rewally cheap fitted
Old 07 August 2006, 08:02 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a afterburner on my 03 STi and love the sound of it, way better than the Prodrive that was on before, just the right sound nice and loud but with a great deep down rumble
Old 07 August 2006, 08:18 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've got the AB full decat, with a ninja backbox. It's loud, but well worth it when you hear it on full chat. I started with the backbox, which gave a nice note, but wasn't that loud.

There are exhaust clips on scoobyworld site of these exhausts.

There's others here:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1

It lOOks the part and certainly sounds the part. Get a resonated centre section though to reduce drone. As i find the drone to be about 2800 revs.

You could always get a bung, like i did, for £35 and have the best of both worlds.

The AB backbox is supposed to be even louder than the Ninja, from reading on here.
Old 07 August 2006, 08:19 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Dont overlook the Revolution system.............

Fantastic bit of kit at a superb price.
But considered one of the quitest systems. Depends on volume required i guess.
Old 07 August 2006, 08:22 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
a kid a christmas time comes to mind. im well excited lol

andy.
Time to be excited! Christmas has come early for ya.

On startup, it will produce a smile, on full boost a cheshire cat smile and on overrun, when pops & bangs, a childish grin.

I love it!
Old 07 August 2006, 08:32 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

chocolate - nice one mate, a sound clip and movie file would be much appreciated.

Im going to wait until ive heard your sound clip before i make any sort of choice, ive listened to the sound files on scoobyworld but theyre not very clear.

Everyone on here seems to have their own preference though which is a refreshing change. For example - MR2 forums prefer the Mongoose, Honda Civic forums like their Spoon exhausts - so to get such a collection of different opinions is good.

Thanks

Adam
Old 07 August 2006, 08:36 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
But considered one of the quitest systems. Depends on volume required i guess.
Must admit that's what drew me to it in the first place but I was really surprised by the volume. Just right for me on tick over and not at all boomy in the cabin on long journeys. I do have full decat though.............

I'd put it on a par with the AB that I had on my classic but less "raspy". Certainly MUCH better than the TSL Firestorm (that was really loud) and the performance gains were a bonus. When you look at the price for the full system <300.00 I dont think you can get better for the money.
Old 07 August 2006, 08:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

chocolate - nice one mate, a sound clip and movie file would be much appreciated.

Im going to wait until ive heard your sound clip before i make any sort of choice, ive listened to the sound files on scoobyworld but theyre not very clear.

Everyone on here seems to have their own preference though which is a refreshing change. For example - MR2 forums prefer the Mongoose, Honda Civic forums like their Spoon exhausts - so to get such a collection of different opinions is good.

Thanks

Adam
no problems, just remind me on saturday teatime as il probably be out all day revving around scaring the "vertical cap crew" ie chavs.
Old 07 August 2006, 08:39 PM
shippy
Scooby Regular

I had an oval magnex which sounded ok with a full decat but now iv got an afterburner which is unreal

In the process of buying a type r with a ziegan 5 on the end of a full decat 3" pipe, now that is loud
Old 07 August 2006, 08:42 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
no problems, just remind me on saturday teatime as il probably be out all day revving around scaring the "vertical cap crew" ie chavs.
OK mate, will do

Adam
Old 07 August 2006, 09:01 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My H&S Jap Style with straight through centre, supposed to be V.similar to the vortex. Certainly a million miles better than the PD BB.

Old 12 August 2006, 04:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

hi guys. bit of an update. cant get the exhaust on today as i need the tapered gasket and spring bolts to connect the downpipe and centre section. the mechanic whos fitting it said so... i had no idea these werent included when scoobyworld.co.uk sent the afterburner kit to me. only got the gasket to connect backbox and centre pipe, so sorry no sound clips tonight!

...a very upset and cheesed of mr o_brian.
Old 12 August 2006, 05:15 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Evening all, picked up my MY99 Impreza Turbo on Saturday and i love it.

It came fitted with a Magnex Oval Backbox. Im loving the rumbling / burbling noise but im not sure if its the magnex or not but any speed over 30mph and it just sounds like a standard fit exhaust. Low down it sounds awesome but a bit too normal for my taste.

Ive been looking at both the Afterburner Vortex Backbox and the Ninja one off of Scoobyworld. Are these two exhaust greatly different? What sort of noise do they make?

I dont want something thats droning and will get tiresome on long journeys but i would like something that has that flat 4 rumble everpresent or something that at least sounds powerful - nothing too tinny sounding or whiney.

Dont suppose anyone has any sound clips other than the ones on the scoobyworld website - it makes the above backboxes sound like chalk and cheese ( the Afterburner sounds awesome / the Ninja sounds pathetic ).

Also noticed you can get the Ninja as a cat-back kit for £329, anyone got this as well?

Thanks

Adam
Out of the 2 you have said I have had both, the vortex is louder than the ninja and too droney for me, i have 2 kids and then got the ninja which is perfect, flat four rumble lovely sound and great on long journeys. Go for the ninja matey

Willsy
Old 13 August 2006, 11:05 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Willsy369 - regarding the Vortex being too droney / loud, was that with a full system or just a backbox?

You say the ninja is perfect for you cause youve got kids, if you didnt have kids would you still have the Vortex or was it infuriatingly loud in your view?

The trouble ive got is that im only interested in buying a backbox at the moment. The Vortex seems to be the prefered choice for most people, but is it only a prefered choice cause they have a resonated centre piece ( i.e less drone ), and is the ninja to some people's liking cause theyve bought the cat-back system which also alters the noise produced.

I think i need to just bite the bullet and buy one or the other and see if i like it or not.

Adam
Old 13 August 2006, 11:56 AM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Willsy369 - regarding the Vortex being too droney / loud, was that with a full system or just a backbox?

You say the ninja is perfect for you cause youve got kids, if you didnt have kids would you still have the Vortex or was it infuriatingly loud in your view?

The trouble ive got is that im only interested in buying a backbox at the moment. The Vortex seems to be the prefered choice for most people, but is it only a prefered choice cause they have a resonated centre piece ( i.e less drone ), and is the ninja to some people's liking cause theyve bought the cat-back system which also alters the noise produced.

I think i need to just bite the bullet and buy one or the other and see if i like it or not.

Adam
Well i only had the back box and that was enough, if i was doing short journeys the the vortex for me definatly, but as i drive to uk from germany the drone was too much so the ninja is best. If you do a lot of long distance driving i would go for the ninja, if not then the vortex is a top choice too. I know have a de cat 'cat pipe' and i didnt notice much more in the loudness of the note till about 3 months sfter it had been on, now it sounds awesome but i still get a resonable note on long driving! just to confuse you more!

Willsy
Old 13 August 2006, 12:48 PM
New_scooby_04

The problem is, you will -most likely- want to do further modifications at some point i.e decat the DP/centre sections etc.. and what seems acceptable now, may well then be intolerable.

I have a 2.5 inch H&S sports cat DP, decat (resonated) centre section, and original Scooby design backbox. This would be generally regarded as quite a conservative set up. However, I would argue that this is as loud as you want to go for everyday use (especially if you do a lot of M'way miles). I would always recommend getting the resonated centre section, it negates the drone at high speed and the system sounds better with it on!

Ns04
Old 13 August 2006, 01:17 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Is the magnex a full system or just a back box????

First mode on my car when I got 3 years ago was to change the back box, I opted for a Magnex Oval, louder than standard but not too loud.

Fitted a decat down pipe and resonated centre and it got a lot louder. ie you could hear it tiking over whilst inside the house.

A couple of lads have had Ninja's and they sounds realy good. Nice deep burble. The Afterbuner is louder again than the Ninja

Now have a 3" 5Zigen with the border tailpipe design and that thing wakes the dead. Miles louder than the full decat Magnex. It's around 120db.

I've had to insulate the boot with 1"kingspan, 3/4" MDF and dynomat. This keeps the niose down in the cabin
Old 14 August 2006, 01:00 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK guys, ive provisionally decided to get the Ninja. Basically cause i dont want it mega loud and dont really want another droning exhaust fitted to my new car as i can see myself using the car for holidays and stuff.

Is it worth me getting the scoobyworld Ninja Cat-back package to save money in the future? Theres two options - 1. B.Box and resonated centre piece or 2. B.Box and decat centre pipe - im thinking of getting the resonated centre piece as some of you said it will reduce drone, but will it also silence the exhaust slightly? Will the car also pass its MOT like this?

£330 seems like a good price for the above kit.

Thanks

Adam

Quick Reply: Afterburner Vortex or Ninja Exhaust?