Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which camera detector

Looking for advice on GPS camera detectors. Requirements as follows:

I don't want to pay a monthly subscription
Something around £100
Needs to have laser detection as well as fixed camera sites

Any advice would be welcomed from the knowledge-fest that is Scoobynet!
Old 07 August 2006, 12:17 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

try here.........

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk

Andy
Old 07 August 2006, 12:19 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Origin B2

Annual subscription is required for updates though and a bit over your price bracket but a great piece of kit.
Old 07 August 2006, 12:27 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy, looks pretty good, has anyone actually got one of these, and if so are they effective?
Old 07 August 2006, 03:06 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Hlo Paul 3446,

Can thoroughly reccommend the SNOOPER S6 NEO.
It's 2 systems, GPS & Laser Gatso, does SPECS with average speed checks & you can set the Laser for a mile away.

THere is a subscription of £4.99 a montg & you can download up to date stuff as many times as you like for that.

I also beleive you can make a one off payment instead of the subscription which lasts for ages, not quite sure hpw long it lasts for?
In areas I don't know in my travels, it's saved my bottie many times.

They are getting cheaper & I've seen them for under £200.

Well worth the money if you can stretch to it.

Godd Luck

Alan MaC
Old 07 August 2006, 03:18 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice, I've actually just bought a Talex Lite for £60. You can get 3 years subs for £49, so it seems quite reasonable.

I suppose everyone will now tell me they're rubbish!
Old 07 August 2006, 05:39 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

good kit but no laser detector
Old 07 August 2006, 05:54 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

another vote for origin b2. Mine has been perfect.

Steve
Old 07 August 2006, 06:24 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Laser detector aint worth a w**k sorry. Its just the way it is.
Even if you have the detector in the place the police just happen to target, by the time you get the audible warning, and slow down 'safely', dont forget, safely, you would have been clocked, and if over the limit already have your ticket on its way.
Laser detection on my RA2, and before that my RA classic, never ever even went off no matter how i went by a hand held gun. lol.
It really is this simple, you get the audible alert and your speed has already been detected.
What you hope for is to pick up the laser long range maybe, or through another cars screens, but tbh again this aint gonna happen.
HAving said that, the RA2 is very good, and has never been wrong for alerting me of the cameras. I recommend this for sure.
Also, another thing to bear in mind is, the government is trying all the time to get laser detection banned, so maybe you wont need that aspect of the detector?
Only my opinion, i aint trying to flame anyone.
Old 07 August 2006, 07:38 PM
chezb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Thanks for all the advice, I've actually just bought a Talex Lite for £60. You can get 3 years subs for £49, so it seems quite reasonable.

I suppose everyone will now tell me they're rubbish!
I've got one of them, and I think its ok!!

Cheryl
Old 07 August 2006, 07:40 PM
WRX Bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Even if you have the detector in the place the police just happen to target, by the time you get the audible warning, and slow down 'safely', dont forget, safely, you would have been clocked, and if over the limit already have your ticket on its way.
Laser detection on my RA2, and before that my RA classic, never ever even went off no matter how i went by a hand held gun. lol.
It really is this simple, you get the audible alert and your speed has already been detected.
What you hope for is to pick up the laser long range maybe, or through another cars screens, but tbh again this aint gonna happen.
HAving said that, the RA2 is very good, and has never been wrong for alerting me of the cameras. I recommend this for sure.
Also, another thing to bear in mind is, the government is trying all the time to get laser detection banned, so maybe you wont need that aspect of the detector?
Yeah but the Drive-Smart unit has the optional laser diffuser add-on for it, so it should solve that problem!

Has anybody got one of these??? Sounds pretty good for the price!

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/
Old 07 August 2006, 09:17 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

The Talex Lite is the current Auto Express best buy
Old 07 August 2006, 09:18 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

And apparently laser camera detectors will soon be illegal anyway
Old 07 August 2006, 10:16 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Agree with your comments in general. However, most police forces in the country (or so I was told by a relative who is a traffic cop) use an approach whereby they take a minimum of two or three readings, with the gun taking several seconds to reset between each - thus giving you chance to slow down if you're on the ball. This is to take into account that the slightest of movements by the operator could move the beam from the numberplate area to say the top of the windscreen, thus scewing the speed. Think this may be part of the APOC (think that's the name) guidelines - not 100% sure, someone would have to clarify.

I use a Snooper S4 - find it to be a very good unit overall.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:35 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Palmo
Agree with your comments in general. However, most police forces in the country (or so I was told by a relative who is a traffic cop) use an approach whereby they take a minimum of two or three readings, with the gun taking several seconds to reset between each - thus giving you chance to slow down if you're on the ball. This is to take into account that the slightest of movements by the operator could move the beam from the numberplate area to say the top of the windscreen, thus scewing the speed. Think this may be part of the APOC (think that's the name) guidelines - not 100% sure, someone would have to clarify.

I use a Snooper S4 - find it to be a very good unit overall.
I didnt know that! So it does actually make a difference if you slam the brakes as you see it if they do that! Ive never done it though!
Old 07 August 2006, 10:58 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

when i got the pics through for my offence.. they only got one pic with a speed.. the other 2 didn't have readings.. so guess that ain't always true
Old 07 August 2006, 11:04 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

another vote for origin b2 here
Old 07 August 2006, 11:09 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Criss
I didnt know that! So it does actually make a difference if you slam the brakes as you see it if they do that! Ive never done it though!
I'm only repeating what I was told - this refers to the hand held laser guns. Not sure about the camera vans as these use a tripod I guess. Again, someone on here in the know may wish to confirm, although the person who told me is a traffic cop in the midlands.

Got to say I would always try and slow if I suspected I was over the limit - I guess it is very easy to stray slightly over the limit in a modern car (not talking about excessively over).
Old 09 August 2006, 09:50 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX Bloke
Yeah but the Drive-Smart unit has the optional laser diffuser add-on for it, so it should solve that problem!

Has anybody got one of these??? Sounds pretty good for the price!

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/
I've had a Drive-Smart for well over a year and am very pleased with it and the free service from the company. Forum is excellent as is the frequency that they update the location db.

New 'Defender2' looks very interesting and seems to be one of the best on the market ... They are also working on a Sat Nav system that will have the camera locations in it too ...
Old 09 August 2006, 10:35 PM
TURBOSMART
Scooby Newbie

Inforad?
Very cheap, no bells and whistles but WORKS!
Even tells you where the feds might be on mobiles
Old 10 August 2006, 07:45 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Talex Lite. Has all potential mobile sites on database. No Laser detection but for reasons stated by others I don't think they're any use.