Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Air con provides cooler air for about one minute then it reverts to warm air

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2006, 09:19 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con provides cooler air for about one minute then it reverts to warm air

Any ideas - is it a simple re-gas? I'm thinking it's not blown fuse for air con (10 amp one in coin tray fuse) as surely air con would never work at all.

Seemed to be Ok-ish until yesterday when it suddenly started to blow through warm (ambient temperature air - fan blowing full blast) - the little green air con light on heater control panel in car was still lit.

On subsequent engine restarts yesterday and today, the air con seems to work again and blows cold for a minute or so then quickly reverts back to warm air - again the air con light remains lit. Is this symptomatic of "gas level having reached critical low point beyond which system can no longer work" - therefore needing simple re-gas/top-up?

If could be many possible reasons, is there a way of identifying causes by going through various sight and/or eliminating tests? I have found a small square-ish module on metal pipe by front radiators (with tiny round glass sight glass), but do not know how to tell from looking into this sight glass - it looks empty to me (engine has been off for a few hours now).

Mine's an MY01 and have had it over two years and not had re-gas or air con service done yet. I always use a/c from time to time throughout year and during winter to defog windows.

Thanks
Old 06 August 2006, 11:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

go buy a top up kit with guage from halfrauds.

its about £40 *******, will tell you what your level is then you top it up

Mart
Old 06 August 2006, 11:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of reasons, if it were the gas then it wouldnt blow cold at all.
Most likely is that if its climate control its doing just that, maintaining a constant cabin temp.
If its because your flooring it its also normal as the a/c cuts out to give you the maximum power available

Tony
Old 08 August 2006, 09:51 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Default Bad News - I'm told the compressor needs to be replaced.

My local Subaru dealer have tried regassing but after doing more diagnostics have come to conclusion that compressor is not circulating fluid around air con system. Range of options from most expensive down is:

Replacement of Compressor and recommended also to replace condensor (that incorporates the receiver dryer) at £1158 inc. labour and VAT

Replacement of Compressor only - £813 inc. VAT

To be fair, my contact at dealer is going to the trouble of looking at cheaper options in terms of to replace or even possible repairing compressor - or sourcing non-Subaru standard spec. parts from cheaper manufacturer or even if I can get hold of and supply salvage air-con parts from breakers etc.

Any views as to most practical option? I don't relish paying anywhere approaching £1K - I'd be happier with say up to half that cost.
Old 09 August 2006, 12:40 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Get & fit a second hand compressor, I bought the entire aircon kit from Glenburgie Subaru two years ago for £250 delivered. I'd of thought £75 would get you a compressor & add in another £100 to fit & charge.

D

Just noticed your location......speak to Colin Minton (Thames Valley Motorsport.....07771767874) or Len at Subaru4U they'll be able to sort it for you. (Both have decent reputations and are based nr Newbury)
Old 09 August 2006, 02:25 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Dunk
Get & fit a second hand compressor, I bought the entire aircon kit from Glenburgie Subaru two years ago for £250 delivered. I'd of thought £75 would get you a compressor & add in another £100 to fit & charge.

D

Just noticed your location......speak to Colin Minton (Thames Valley Motorsport.....07771767874) or Len at Subaru4U they'll be able to sort it for you. (Both have decent reputations and are based nr Newbury)
Thanks a lot for that - I sent an email to Len last night and hoping he can advise a cost effective solution. Might also try Colin Minton - doesn't harm to get a spread of opinion. Cheers again
Old 15 August 2006, 02:37 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Go for Len i personally would'nt touch TVM ive had some very bad experiences with them and so it seems a growing number of people.