ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mods to a WRX with PPP

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2006, 04:08 PM
GSI Mav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to a WRX with PPP

Howdie all - I am a complete newbie to the world of Scoobies infact im just in the process of purchasing one. Im hoping to go for going for an 03 plate WRX with PPP and 22500 miles on the clock.

I was just wandering what further mods (bound to be millions but a rough idea) would be easily installable and fairly cheap to bump up the HP towards the 300 BHP mark.

All suggestions and comments welcome...

Thanks in advance
Old 06 August 2006, 04:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As the warranty is up (or nearly) you're free to do what you want at your own risk. I'd say start with an up-pipe (the OE one is restrictive due to the pre-cat), downpipe (either full decat (MOT will be a problem thereafter) or high-flow sports cat (MOT OK)), an uprated fuel pump, a decent TMIC (STi/APS etc) and a good remap.

Having said that, my 03 WRX PPP has no trouble against much more powerful cars due to a combination of suspension/chassis mods and driver tuition. Start with a Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear ARB with solid links, then consider either the cheap option with Eibach/Prodrive springs, or go the whole hog and get adjustable AST coilovers. Remember, power is nothing without control. It's not just a cliché, as I have proved this many times against cars with significant power advantages.
Old 06 August 2006, 04:55 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

It all depends where you buy the car from. If like me you buy it from a main stealer it may come with a pucker Subaru extended warranty.If this is the case you can do jack sh*t with the car without making the warranty void.
Nik.
Old 06 August 2006, 05:19 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Remember, power is nothing without control. It's not just a cliché, as I have proved this many times against cars with significant power advantages.[/quote]

i dont want to start somethig as what your saying is quite true, but it depends where you are going to use the additionl handling mods.
for track use.........fantastic!
but for normal road use most(me anyway) enjoy a quick blatt along open carriageways etc, not full on racing around the twisties where risks are far higher.
remember, an excellent chassis set up is nothing without power/torque. its not just a cliche.......
Old 06 August 2006, 05:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I understand where you're coming from Bob, but give me the excellent chassis before the power anyday. My preferred driving is on fast flowing a-roads and twisty b-roads and my 265PS has so far proved more than a match for new-age cars up to around 350bhp and classics in excess of 400bhp, whilst retaining good driveability and rock solid reliability. Therefore I have to say my lack of power/torque is something more than nothing. On the other hand, the 420bhp classic I drove against once couldn't utilise his power anywhere near as efficiently and effectively and so dropped behind. I also chatted with a guy with a 550bhp bugeye who admitted that on a typical British road there is no way on Earth he could hope to keep up with mine as his car was set up for straightlining, all power no control. Now I have the awesome chassis/suspension though, I am planning the aforementioned power-mods to get the best from my car. If I'd done it the conventional way I'd have potentially had an unstable, unreliable car which was quite dangerous. Instead I have enjoyed a fabulously stable car able to fully exploit all of its potential and is now in a superb state for extra power.

All IMHO.