Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Convince me on Scoob's... looking into buying one...

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2006, 01:31 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me on Scoob's... looking into buying one...

as above really. I've always loved the classic shape Impreza and fancy a change from my current car. I have a few concerns over reliability, handling and performance, but I think I could get one and certainly not be disappointed.

Anyway, I'm looking at as late as possible classic shape, I know the newer ones are probably easier to live with, but in all honesty I cant stand to look at them... I have tried to like them but the looks and performance put me off, even though I'd say they handle better (this is subjective and my own personal opinion just in case you flame me! lol). I'm not keen on the idea of an import either, mainly due to insurance and most are modded... so, it would almost certainly have to be a UK spec turbo 2000 or similar. What could I get for around £7k, cheaper the better, but want it to be last of the line classic with the 4 pots and newer dash. If I did get one it would be used as my daily commute to work, so roughly 10 miles including return journey, most of which is dual carriageway national speed limit roads. Can I run a car like this day to day, or am I going to have problems? I've never had a turbo car before, so am a little concerned... my friend is on his 2nd classic at the moment and loves them, but he's had clutch, BE, turbo, maf sensor problem as well as the gearbox and I really cant be bothered with all that crap again, I want something reliable(ish) but mainly fun, and I'll have my other toy for track days and weekends if all goes to plan.
Other main question about them is what power is safe to run on stock turbo, interwarmer and internals, as standard I wasn't impressed in the slightest when I drove my mates standard MY00, but his MY97 pro drive'd one was a different beast entirely!
Lastly, I found the MY97 to understeer in a way I didn't like or think I could get used to, are the later ones the same and will a good set of Leda's remedy this?

(sorry about the war and peace post!)
Old 04 August 2006, 01:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TheJesus
as above really. I've always loved the classic shape Impreza and fancy a change from my current car. I have a few concerns over reliability, handling and performance, but I think I could get one and certainly not be disappointed.

Anyway, I'm looking at as late as possible classic shape, I know the newer ones are probably easier to live with, but in all honesty I cant stand to look at them... I have tried to like them but the looks and performance put me off, even though I'd say they handle better (this is subjective and my own personal opinion just in case you flame me! lol). I'm not keen on the idea of an import either, mainly due to insurance and most are modded... so, it would almost certainly have to be a UK spec turbo 2000 or similar. What could I get for around £7k, cheaper the better, but want it to be last of the line classic with the 4 pots and newer dash. If I did get one it would be used as my daily commute to work, so roughly 10 miles including return journey, most of which is dual carriageway national speed limit roads. Can I run a car like this day to day, or am I going to have problems? I've never had a turbo car before, so am a little concerned... my friend is on his 2nd classic at the moment and loves them, but he's had clutch, BE, turbo, maf sensor problem as well as the gearbox and I really cant be bothered with all that crap again, I want something reliable(ish) but mainly fun, and I'll have my other toy for track days and weekends if all goes to plan.
Other main question about them is what power is safe to run on stock turbo, interwarmer and internals, as standard I wasn't impressed in the slightest when I drove my mates standard MY00, but his MY97 pro drive'd one was a different beast entirely!
Lastly, I found the MY97 to understeer in a way I didn't like or think I could get used to, are the later ones the same and will a good set of Leda's remedy this?

(sorry about the war and peace post!)
Hi

7K wil buy you a neat 99/00k Uk Turbo. I'd look for one with PPP or exhaust mods and an Ecutek map, which will ensure you'll be grinning from ear to ear. Buy the best you can afford and ALWAYS get a full indepenent inspetion. Cutting corners can cost you dearly; these are NOT cheap cars to run/own some people cut corners.

It's a perfectly usable every day car, very easy to drive and get along with. However, your journey to work is only 10 miles, that's only just enough time for the fluids to get up to temperature, if you start gunning the car before then, you'll most likely be needing an engine rebuild sooner rather than later. If all you're really going to use it for is commuting, then I'd say that there are better (and much cheaper) options.

All scoobies understeer; they have to be set like that by the manufacturer really. This can be largely negated by uprating the springs, roll bars and getting a good geometry set-up. Just the geometry and anti roll bars make a big difference. Avoid coil overs, most are much too harsh for everyday use and will ruin the car's usability.

If you look after them, they are VERY reliable cars and will happily take more power too. My My99 is running 320bhp/lbs ft and is running more sweetly now than it did as std. BUT you MUST look after them meticulously and only let people who KNOW the cars anywhere near them for servicing/upgrades. They do not tolerate abuse/neglect/numpties at all well and will land you with a very big bill before you can say "Ouch, my Big end"

Ns04
Old 04 August 2006, 02:05 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Don't do it mate. They are too thirsty, rattle, not very fast, can't handle and look rubish.

Buy a golf oil burner instead, or a.n. other bland motor vehicle.
Old 04 August 2006, 02:06 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

I've got a MY00 turbo (had it from new in Jan 2001) and use it every day. Daily commute is about 10 miles each way, with quite a bit through traffic. During all that time it's only been off road three times - once when it was stolen - took about 6 weeks for the insurance to sort it out, once when it was having some paint work fixed (after a small argument with a towbar), and once with an electrical problem (fixed by Scoobyclinic the same day, cheers guys ). Apart from that, it's been perfectly reliable (bar one MAF sensor which I caguth in its early stages of failure, and got swapped during a routine service), all you need to do is ensure that you stick to the service intervals and put petrol in it. Don't buy onw without a full service history, preferably with all the receipts as well as the service booklet.
So far it's done about 44k miles, not all 'gentle ones' (5 trackdays, several Peak Tours and a few MCTs to Wales). No problems with handling, even when it was in standard trim.