Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bulletproof can Subaru's be made?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 08:28 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bulletproof can Subaru's be made?

I've just had a wander over to Crawford Performance's website - pretty impressed with their engine packages. they seem to have the emphasis, on bullet proof engines. need to be i supose looking at the HP they are running. A certain Mr F runs one of their blocks.

Not a techy question really just being nosey in if that money no object can a massive BHP Subaru be made reliable?
Old 03 August 2006, 10:49 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Originally Posted by The Chief
A certain Mr F runs one of their blocks
He used too, but it's been "refreshed" now.

Not a techy question really just being nosey in if that money no object can a massive BHP Subaru be made reliable?
I guess "massive power", and "reliable" is subjective, but let's say money no object, the very best of technical know how, and materials, infact any resource you need .................

Answer: NO, not IMHO, at least not what would meet my criteria for "massive power, & reliable".

Ask Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota, and all the other F1 teams why with all their money, and resources, they can't guarantee their cars will finish one two hour race.............

Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Mark.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:16 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
I've just had a wander over to Crawford Performance's website - pretty impressed with their engine packages. they seem to have the emphasis, on bullet proof engines. need to be i supose looking at the HP they are running. A certain Mr F runs one of their blocks.

probablly it just wouldnt resemble what we all know and love steve.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Nothing is bullet proof

The more bhp, the shorter it'll last. The only proviso is that if the extra BHP and torque isn't actually used. i.e An engine producing 500bhp, but spending its life on the road rarely going above 4000rpm will last alot longer one running with less power bouncing off the limiter or going round a track on regular basis.

To be 100% reliable you factor in routine rebuilds as part of the service schedule which will also allow for more sacrificial bearing materials that will cope with the power and not wear the crank. Rather than running it until it into the ground and waiting for a bearing to pick up and spin, wrecking the crank and anything else the debris gets incontact with.

Last edited by Shark Man; 04 August 2006 at 10:26 PM.