Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru...have they all gone mad ??

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2000, 01:11 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just seen the thread of the New Sti pics and Subaru seem to have given us a Toyota Corolla crossed with a ford scorpio.......................DiSSSSSSgusting

oh dear oh dear.....I think I`ll keep what I`ve got.

k
Old 25 October 2000, 01:12 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

You might as well - it won't be showing those rock hard residuals in 12 months!!
Old 25 October 2000, 01:31 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

...Buts it sooooo ugly ( IMHO )
Old 25 October 2000, 01:36 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

...And heavier and slower
Old 25 October 2000, 01:49 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Slower remains 2b seen. Torque comes in a bit quicker, handling is supposed 2b better, less understeer etc. Maybe it's only slower on the straigth 0-60 benchmark but that doesn't convince me it's slower in road-action.
Old 26 October 2000, 08:40 AM
stratman
Scooby Regular

The new Impreza looks as if were designed by a committee that never met. The new design should IMHO have been an evolution of the old design, enhancing the best features from the previous car. But it looks to me like a random collection of cut-and-paste bits, straight out of last years car designers standard database.

I dont know why I should be so disappointed in the new model, cos it makes me appreciate my current car, which I love, and see little point in changing - especially seeing as I have spent a fortune in modding the car and it is now just as I want it.

I hope that when people buy the bug-eyed thing they will do so because in some strange sort of way they like it - and not just because it is new.

A car should cry out to you to drive it when you look at it, and I am sorry old bug-eyes just doesnt do it for me, even in Sti form.

The falling residual issue doesnt bother me cos I plan to keep my present car for some time - unless a nice juicy used ( and nicely priced) P1 comes my way

Anyway, no sour grapes to anyone who buys one, good luck to you, I hope you are not disappointed.

[This message has been edited by stratman (edited 26 October 2000).]
Old 26 October 2000, 01:46 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Just another example of Japanese car design at its best....
Old 26 October 2000, 01:50 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

If it drives well - you'll spend all your time in it, and then you won't have to look at the exterior.
Old 27 October 2000, 11:14 AM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

But everyone else will be looking ..... and then laughing.

I think the old joke of spelling subaru backwards applies here...it is indeed a bus.
Old 27 October 2000, 11:52 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Talking

God I am slow:
'I think the old joke of spelling subaru backwards applies here...it is indeed a bus.'

I've never spotted that one, U R A BUS, quite amusing for a Friday. Got any more little 'gems' like that one Kris...?

I know, I know, small minds find small things amusing and all that .
Old 27 October 2000, 08:40 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Webby
Whats happenned to the rest of the posts on this thread? I post yesterday but its mysteriously vanished along with others.
Is this censorship imposed for slagging of the bug-eyed barge?
Old 27 October 2000, 08:43 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

eek now they are there! Whats happening......I think I'll get my coat
Old 27 October 2000, 08:51 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Angry

My post from yesterday has gone too.

Scotty.
Old 27 October 2000, 09:19 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have any of you people actually driven the MY01 yet? Drove it yesterday and it is a fantastic machine.First thing about it is the keys are much more substantial the ones we are all used to and the car has a new starter motor which sound much more sophisticated.There is no big jump when the turbo cuts in like there is on the present model but it just accelerates as soon as you hit the throttle.The car might be just fractionally slower but not by much.It still has the amazing cornering abilitys of the present model and there are no interior rattles which plague the current car.The brakes are absolutely fantastic and you will need them because the engine has become very quiet,you have to look at the rev counter to believe that the engine is pulling 5000rpm.There is no wind noise either.Like it or not lads the car is a massive improvement over the current model and within 12 months our cars will begin to look dated both inside and out.

Old 28 October 2000, 12:41 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

The MY2001 is a step backwards.

I think when people get the chance to test drive them they will realise what a performance shortfall it suffers from. In standard guise it is 2 seconds slower 0-100. You will notice that on the road, ask any elise owner whos car does 0-100 in a similar time. Its not all figures either, its about the way a car feels. I would not like an ounce extra 'refinement' and you cannot take away the fact that the car in present trim looks a minger.

Its so-called better performance in the bends is also a bit of a nonsense. Would they say it was better if the MY2001 was tested against a MY00 fitted with the same wheel and tyre combination. 215 17 like the much rated RB5?

Would I get one, NO WAY. Why, because in its current form it would be a backwards step against my MY99 car.

Also look at the history of the current guise Impreza. In two years the new MY2001 will look outdated by new versions with better seats, handling, power and most certain of all Styling.

So those that say buying a MY00 (a car at the peak of its evolution) is throwing money away because of depreciation, should think about what the MY2001 (Abortion fresh from the bucket) will be worth against its much improved versions when it comes sales time.

The saving grace of the MY2001 is we can all spend a little extra and make it look almost identical to the new WRC car. Roll on Sti