Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Modification! Can you, Will you....!

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 11:47 PM
(R-6)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification! Can you, Will you....!

Hi and best regards to all,

I have been around Subaru’s for a few years now and have owned 5 including this present model. In between Subaru’s an E46 M3, CClass Merc, and a 300bhp Focus ST which my wife now uses as her daily driver.

Can’t explain why I’m back to Subaru, you just seem to miss them, none more so than No 276 “22B”. After an altercation with a white van man, I believe that 276 is back in fine fettle and up for sale.

Scooby No 5 is a MY99 WR Sport with every possible Prodrive extra that was available at the time. The records show a retail price of 31k!.

This car was owned from new by Prodrive and was used as a development car for future models “I’m still waiting to hear back from Prodrive to confirm what level of testing/development the car was used for and how may time times they ragged it to an inch of it’s life!!.

The car has covered a mere 68k and the records show this to be accurate, although the steering wheel seems pretty worn, probably due to the car spending a good part of it’s life getting chucked about during it’s Prodrive ownership.

As the car has no warranty and probably doesn’t pull as briskly as she once did, I think it’s time for some mild tuning, just to give her a wee lift.

400-450bhp with an equal portion of torque is what’s called for, to make a fast road car with track day potential.

There are some issues with doing this to the car, one being I know absolutely f***all about cars. Thats’not to say I don’t know a crank shaft from a prop shaft, I just mean a spanner work is best left to those who possess the art of mechanical fettling. And mapping left to the boffins who understand boffiness!. I have none of these skills! and care not to break nails and bust knuckles!, nor do I wish to understand hexadecimal or binary code’s or anything more complicated that can’t be worked out on a “NONE” scientific calculator.

Most of you have heard of the site www.22b.com , anyone who hasn’t should take a look. The simplest of post is met with more information that contained in encyclopaedia Britannica. Honestly some of the post are mind blowingly complex and only the very well versed will have a clue what the hell they are on about.

Well enough of beating around the proverbial shrubbery, I need the right person to take on the project from start to finish, getting what I want from the car and making the thing happen, there is no way on GOD’S earth I can do this without the skill’s of an experienced tuning body.

My question is thus!. Is there a person that can/will take this on and see it to it’s conclusion?
Old 01 August 2006, 12:02 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

i guess a good starting point is whereabouts are you based and how far are you willing to travel for tuning? i would say that andy forrest is agood staring point,almost essential if you want to go for ecutek or apexi mapping i think.
as an aside your new beastie wouldnt happen to be white with a 555 plate would it?
Old 02 August 2006, 12:41 AM
(R-6)
Scooby Regular

More help...
Old 02 August 2006, 08:26 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Noy vastly experienced in the performance upgrade stakes but your looking at more than a few Drams

IIRC MY99 your going to need at least a 2.3ltr upgrade and FMIC to get that sort of power a 2.5ltr has more Torque but not the Rev range.

5 speed box's are better for Engines with Torgue but with 450lbs you really need the strenth of a 6speed box

You'll need a limited slip front diff, DCCD and quick Rack

after spending £XXXXX to achieve 450bhp on your 256bhp MY99UK spec you'll just about keep up with a 330bhp TypeRA which would be a better base car IMHO

Where do you stop???

Your better to shed 200lbs , vastly improve brakes and suspension than add 100Hp IMHO

So no real easy anwser to your question