Info??

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 10:21 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info??

Hi!

Its my first post on here, one of many hopefully as I've narrowed my next car down to either a Scoob or M3.

I currently own a Honds Civic type R and have had 2 extremely happy years and I'm now considering moving on but I'm going to try and manage the funds so I can keep the Type R plus try and get one of the above mentioned cars(near impossible I know).

Basically I know very little on all that is Impreza apart from being in a friend of a friends 03 STi with the PPP I believe and that made me want one.

I'm not sure if this is the model to have though, like I said I need to get clued up pretty fast.

So basically I'm just wondering if anyone could provide me with some decent knowledge or point me in the right direction so that I can find out the following points:

What is the model to have?
Any known faults with a certain model or is there a year of Impreza that is to be missed due to faults?
Performance figures (although I have a slight idea)?
What seem to be the most popular mods to do to the Imprezza - exhaust system, induction, ECU remaps, dump valves or whatever they maybe?
What are the MUST modifications to do to the Impreza?

I apologise if this post is in the wrong section and the fact that I'm guessing most of these questions have been asked a million times before.

Thanks for everyones' help, your time is much appreciated.

Greg
Old 31 July 2006, 10:27 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

welome

what model to get, well that depends on your budget, your requirements for performance etc and wether its a uk or jdm car you want.

be a bit more specific and im sure you will get some good advice.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:13 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
welome

what model to get, well that depends on your budget, your requirements for performance etc and wether its a uk or jdm car you want.

be a bit more specific and im sure you will get some good advice.
Sorry about that.

Budget: upto £20000 lets say

Performance: Thats what its all about really, I'm coming from a Type R with the mods on at present around 0-60 in 6secs and top speed 150. I believe the Type R has the sameish performance (straight line performance) as a standard WRX and is even quicker to 100mph. So I would be looking for a decent step up in performance, a noticable step up lets say.

UK/JDM: What are the pros and cons of each? I'm guessing you get more spec from a JDM? From what I know a UK spec maybe the best option. Correct me if I am wrong there though.

Hopefully that will help aid any responses.

Thanks again

G
Old 01 August 2006, 08:56 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

£20k - get yourself an MY05 STi Type UK imo.

Some differences over the previous:
Longer / Wider wheelbase
Sharper Steering
Driver Controlled Centre Diff with Auto Mode and Yaw Sensors
Intercooler Water Spray
Better Interior
Old 01 August 2006, 09:37 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate.

You don't happen to work for the local Audi dealer do you?

I ask, as when my old man was at the Audi dealer a few months ago, having a look at his resently delivered RS4, a guy who worked there asked me about my car (STI PPP) and he happened to mention he currently had a Civic Type R.

Was that you?
Old 01 August 2006, 09:48 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

As above, for 20K, you can get a 05 STI Type UK. Try to get one with PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) as this boosts power from 265 BHP to 301 BHP. Although there are more powerful tunning mods out there, only the PPP lets you keep the warranty, and a PPP Impreza is anything but slow.

MPG wise, well, driven briskly, you'll get anywhere from 15-18mpg. Taking it easy, and (trying to) stay off the Turbo, you'll see 22-24mpg. Longer runs at a steady 80-85mpg should see this rise slightly.

If possible, get one that's had the Prodrive spring kit fitted, as IMO this improves both handling and ride quality over the standard car. If you can't find one with these fitted, then a dealer will fit them for about £450.

18" alloys are a must ................................ in Gold of course !

The only real downside to the Impreza IMO, is the interior quality. Stepping out of an Audi and into my car makes my car feel like a tin box. Stereo and speakers are just a joke. Proper cr@p.

I have a 6 stack in the boot, and never use it unless it's on a motorway, as on any other road it just skips every time you run over a pebble

Oh yes, and remember, the Blue one's are faster !!!

Last edited by stilover; 01 August 2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01 August 2006, 11:34 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Welcome mate.

You don't happen to work for the local Audi dealer do you?

I ask, as when my old man was at the Audi dealer a few months ago, having a look at his resently delivered RS4, a guy who worked there asked me about my car (STI PPP) and he happened to mention he currently had a Civic Type R.

Was that you?
No mate but I think I know the bloke you are referring to. Was it the Audi Dealership on the outskirts of Stockton?

Thanks for the advice on which model/spec as well. Still not decided on a blue or black STi yet though.

Any advice on modification of exhaust/induction/blow off valve would be appreciated also from anyone??

Regards

G
Old 01 August 2006, 11:42 AM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought a CTR with mods would have been quicker to 60 than 6 seconds?!?! A standard 04 WRX no PPP does it in 5.4 (or so it said on a poster in a Subaru showroom the other week).
Old 01 August 2006, 11:48 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

The M3 would work out cheaper in the long run, Once you get the Scooby modding bug, you'll end up spending a few thousand pounds on new exhausts, air filters and remaps!
Old 01 August 2006, 11:51 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

For 20k if you want a formidable road car pick up a MY02 or MY03 STI and then spend 5-6k on mods balanced between performance, brakes and suspension you will shake most things off your tail

M3 is naturally aspirated which in my world means perminant lag

Last edited by alloy; 01 August 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01 August 2006, 12:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicgreg
No mate but I think I know the bloke you are referring to. Was it the Audi Dealership on the outskirts of Stockton?
Yeah, that's the one.

As for the M3. There was a second hand buying guide in EVO a few months ago, and well worth the read. Mentioned things to look out for regarding engine failures.
BMW have just put up their prices for warranties too, so a chat to the BMW dealer down at Stockton may be a good idea.
If your budget is £20k, I'd have thought your looking at a very high mileage M3, compared to a low mileage STI.
Old 01 August 2006, 12:31 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilb
I'd have thought a CTR with mods would have been quicker to 60 than 6 seconds?!?! A standard 04 WRX no PPP does it in 5.4 (or so it said on a poster in a Subaru showroom the other week).
Possibly high 5s then at a push, its just an estimate. Standard performance is 0-60 in 6.4sec with top speed of 147.

Unless I was getting my Impreza models mixed up then and it wasn't a WRX, as I'm sure it was the WRX (maybe past models and not new) that has a 0-60 time similar to a CTRs and the CTR was infact quicker to 100mph.

Doesn't really matter that much anyway, both cars are superb!!

G
Old 01 August 2006, 12:35 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Yeah, that's the one.

As for the M3. There was a second hand buying guide in EVO a few months ago, and well worth the read. Mentioned things to look out for regarding engine failures.
BMW have just put up their prices for warranties too, so a chat to the BMW dealer down at Stockton may be a good idea.
If your budget is £20k, I'd have thought your looking at a very high mileage M3, compared to a low mileage STI.
Yeah mate, Mr.Hogg is the man you are referring to, decent bloke.

Yeah I've checked everything out and I've completely been put off the M3, just silly prices due to the badge and SERIOUS engine issues, that if not under warrenty may incur huge repair bills!!

I think its the STI for me now. So its going to be a case of getting as much info as ossible before the purchase. Most likely looking at an 04 STI with PPP.

How does your motor fair against your dad's RS4 then, sublime cars!

G
Old 01 August 2006, 01:33 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicgreg

How does your motor fair against your dad's RS4 then, sublime cars!

G
Build quality and overall ambiance, it's in another league to the STI.

Performance wise, well my STI PPP apparently does 0-60 in 4.6sec. The RS4 does it in 4.8 sec, so I win there . Everything after that the RS4 just pulls like a train. Driving it, I have to say it felt slower than mine, and I was at first very disappointed with it, but as it's soo well built it hides it's speed very well. A glance at the speedo on the way to Scarborough when I thought it was feeling slow soon changed my mind (120mph). Came up behind a guy in his new Jaguar XK, who was showing off to his Tart in the passenger seat. He booted it and went for the overtake, so did I. I overtook the car he overtook, then him on 1 straight stretch of road. Just awesome.

The higher the speed, and the higher the revs, it just pulls soo hard. Makes the Impreza feel very slow.
Round the corners you can feel the extra weight over the Impreza, but it still corners VERY hard. This is the First Audi that I've driven where the steering isn't numb, the brakes aren't over servo-ed, and the gear change isn't vague and overly long. In short, it's fan-bloody-tastic

Mind you, for £50k+, it should do.

If I had the money would I have one? Yes.

I already have first refusal right over it, when he sells it.

Last edited by stilover; 01 August 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01 August 2006, 08:02 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

wrx ppp depends what sort of ride you want to sti much harder saying that my ctr 04 felt like it had no springs
Old 01 August 2006, 08:07 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Lots of info on classics here http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 01 August 2006, 09:07 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses so far lads.

Blimey there is loads to read up on here!!

Think I'm going to head down to the dealership at the weekend to have a good talk and set up a few test drives.

Cheers

G