Sponsored by:

URGENT - Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 02:30 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT - Help needed!

Not being the most technically minded person where cars are concerned (see my air filter post in GT for proof) I don’t know whether to be very worried or just concerned about this. This morning after some very spirited driving to work my Greedy DV sounds completely unhealthy on gear change, best I can describe the sound is as if it had burst if that makes sense. I noticed it as soon as I’d slowed this morning then was changing back up a gear, it was an instant change. More worrying is the idle sound isn’t right now. It sounds lumpy / rough, not hugely different to it’s normal idle sound but different enough to certainly notice. It seems to be idling ok in terms of it’s not jumping up and down the rev range but as I say sounds lumpy.

Bit concerned as I’ve got a jounery home tonight and don’t fancy making things any worse if it has got a serious problem. Took it out quickly at lunch just to make sure it was still soundly like it did and it was, still pulls fine (although didn’t go stupid with it).

Really need some advice, thanks.

Ps. Car is a 97 Turbo 2000.
Old 31 July 2006, 04:02 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

^ up ^
Old 31 July 2006, 04:18 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Maybe a split pipe? Would be worth you checking over all the connections and pipes for leaks! Or the adjustment screw may have come out or loose! Im no expert but they'd be the first things I looked at.
Old 31 July 2006, 04:20 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Thanks, did check the pipe work and nothing obvious but not checked for any adjustment screws so will have another look.
Old 31 July 2006, 04:32 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

quite possibly a split diaphram in the valve itself, can and does happen. It could also cause issues with the idle etc. If you still have the standard recirc available then plumb that back in and see if it resolves the problem.
Old 31 July 2006, 04:45 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
quite possibly a split diaphram in the valve itself, can and does happen. It could also cause issues with the idle etc. If you still have the standard recirc available then plumb that back in and see if it resolves the problem.
Agreed but for a quick check take the vacum pipe off your dump valve and hold your thumb over the pipe to block it. If she runs even then your dump valve is knackerd
Old 31 July 2006, 04:48 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Thanks for the reply, i do hope you're right and what you have said does make a lot of sense (even for me) because aside from the idle / dv sound the car feels fine. Booked it into my local garage tomorrow morning to take a proper look at it, will report back what they find.

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2006, 09:43 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Quick update, it was a hose. One of the hoses where it T's off underneath the intercooler had worked loose. Couldn't see it when i looked yesterday and the lad who sorted at the garage had a job and a half reconnecting it. He also said the hose wasn't the right size (close but not close enough), it's booked in next week anyway for some mods so he's going to tidy up the hoses for me so it doesn't happen again. Car is now idling perfectly again, sounds great and the psssssssst is back altho considering going back to a standard dv after reading GT on here about aftermarket dv's. While the lid was up also disconnected the MAF while the engine was running and the car spluttered and cut out which i believe is a good sign .

Thanks for all the replies